• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you have made this trade?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosenthal On Padres, Upton, Smith, Nats, Haren ? MLB Trade Rumors

The Nationals recently offered the Mariners both Jordan Zimmermann and Ian Desmond in exchange for right-hander Taijuan Walker and shortstop Brad Miller, according to Rosenthal. However, the Mariners balked at giving up six years of Walker and five of Miller for just one year of Zimmermann and Desmond at a combined total of $27.5MM. Washington also discussed Zimmermann with the Red Sox.

Mariners receive:
Jordan Zimmermann: 2.66 ERA 32 GS 199 IP 4.9 WAR
Ian Desmond: 24 HR 91 RBI 24 SB .255/.313/.430 3.8 WAR

Nationals receive:
Taijuan Walker: 2.61 ERA 5 GS 0.9 WAR (Stats sort of irrelevant for him since he's still basically a prospect)
Brad Miller: 10 HR 36 RBI 4 SB .221/.288/.365 1.6 WAR

I post this question because I believe this trade would make the Mariners a serious World Series contender. Right now I'd say the Mariners project as a 90-95 win team, and this trade would push them into that 95-105 win range IMO. But it would be at a pretty high cost as Zimmermann and Desmond are both free agents at the end of the season.

Adding Zimmermann would arguably give the Mariners 3 starting pitchers that could be the ace of a lot of rotations, then with Paxton who has looked extremely promising and J.A. Happ who could thrive from pitching at Safeco, the Mariners could manage to have a rotation even more imposing than last year which is saying something.

Would you have made this trade?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hesitate giving up Walker for anyone with 1 year on their contract, but I think if you replace Miller with Taylor I could accept it.

We could try to move Brad to an outfield spot where his bat (hopefully it develops) might help, and try to extend one or both of those guys for an extended run rather than a 1 year run.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. Thankfully the M's didn't either.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New moves to date increase our 2015 WAR by .5 games. This trade would have given us a better chance, but still not enough for 1 year rentals. If we had done more, say one more bat and another true stud SP, then going for it would have made more sense and then yes to this trade.

I would counter with Taylor and Elias. Still gives Nats salary relief as well as adds two controllable young players with upside.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New moves to date increase our 2015 WAR by .5 games. This trade would have given us a better chance, but still not enough for 1 year rentals. If we had done more, say one more bat and another true stud SP, then going for it would have made more sense and then yes to this trade.

I would counter with Taylor and Elias. Still gives Nats salary relief as well as adds two controllable young players with upside.

This is under the assumption that Nelson Cruz will be merely a 1.5 WAR player for the Mariners. Which is lower or equal to the WAR Austin Jackson, Michael Saunders, Dustin Ackley, Brad Miller, Chris Taylor, Michael Saunders, Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager had. And merely 0.1 highest than Logan Morrison had. Based on that estimate, Cruz would have to have a disastrous year to merely have a 1.5 WAR. By this estimation, Cruz would be one of the worst players on an already anemic Mariners offense. A 1.5 WAR estimation for Cruz is extremely low.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In baseball can you make trades contingent of players signing an extension like you can in other sports if so make the trade stating that, Because Zimmerman is an Ace and Desmond is not great defensively but can hit and with his speed would do good in Safeco.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In baseball can you make trades contingent of players signing an extension like you can in other sports if so make the trade stating that, Because Zimmerman is an Ace and Desmond is not great defensively but can hit and with his speed would do good in Safeco.

True, but the way money is flying around this offseason, I don't think either guy would have agreed to whatever extension the Mariners had offered. Of course, if one had agreed to an extension, that completely changes the dynamics of the trade. But, I don't see it happening.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In baseball can you make trades contingent of players signing an extension like you can in other sports .

yes

it's the only way i'd trade walker for upton