• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seth Smith

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners realistically have few options remaining to add a good outfielder.

The Padres added Wil Myers, Matt Kemp and Justin Upton as we all know, which makes Seth Smith expendable.

Smith had an OPS of .807 last year along with a WAR of 3.9. He is a patient hitter who frequently gets on base (career OBP of .347). He is not a huge addition, but he is better than nothing and likely won't cost the Mariners much to land. With the Mariners gaping hole in RF, I see Smith as a better option than Ruggiano and better than the remaining FA option the Mariners have been linked to (Nori Aoki). Aoki could be a better option, but hits for less power than Smith and is looking for a 3 year deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, for me the off season came to a screeching halt once again after a big signing just like last year. More hype than substance for Jack.

With that said, time to get what we can and get a Smith or a guy from Rockies to platoon.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't see us having a 1B this year? Morrison is an oft injured player who hasn't really put up numbers to justify a full time 1B gig especially for a team believing they are playoff material.

So we have career hitters of:

SS Miller .241
1B Morrison .251
LF Ackley .245
C Zunino .203
RF Ruggiano .257

Over half the lineup is .257 and below. Not exactly what I expected for a team wanting to take the next step. Smith is a career .265 hitter at least. Oh well, at least we have pitching...right?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, am I the only one who doesn't see us having a 1B this year? Morrison is an oft injured player who hasn't really put up numbers to justify a full time 1B gig especially for a team believing they are playoff material.

Hey he had two decent months! We all know thats enough to guarantee you a starting spot on this team. Just ask Ackley.:L

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey he had two decent months! We all know thats enough to guarantee you a starting spot on this team. Just ask Ackley.:L

Unfortunately I know this all too well. :gaah:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, for me the off season came to a screeching halt once again after a big signing just like last year. More hype than substance for Jack.

With that said, time to get what we can and get a Smith or a guy from Rockies to platoon.

SS Miller .241
1B Morrison .251
LF Ackley .245
C Zunino .203
RF Ruggiano .257

Over half the lineup is .257 and below. Not exactly what I expected for a team wanting to take the next step. Smith is a career .265 hitter at least. Oh well, at least we have pitching...right?

Offense is down across the league, id be intersted in seeing what other teams have avg wise vs our guys under .250

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SS Miller .241
1B Morrison .251
LF Ackley .245
C Zunino .203
RF Ruggiano .257

I was thinking the same thing as all the talk about RF when 1B was just as much of a problem since A. Morrison was part of the RF 1B equation and B. Lloyd is obsessed with his matchups which means they need a RH 1B for at least 70 games.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I mentioned question marks going into 2014, 1B was one of them. I have zero confidence in Logan Morrison.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Padres have discussed Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels

by Chris Cwik | CBSSports.com

Sun, 21 Dec 2014 4:32 PM ET

The Padres have discussed a trade for Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels, according to the Daily News.
Newly-acquired outfielder Wil Myers would be used as the centerpiece in the deal. By bringing in Myers, Matt Kemp and Justin Upton, San Diego has a glut of talent in the outfield. While it seems strange that the team would turn around and deal Myers, he would be the type of talent the Phillies are said to be seeking for Hamels. Philadelphia reportedly wants two or three "premium" prospects for Hamels. The 30-year-old Hamels posted a 2.46 ERA over 204 2/3 innings last season. He's owed $90 million over the next four seasons.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
double post

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners realistically have few options remaining to add a good outfielder.

The Padres added Wil Myers, Matt Kemp and Justin Upton as we all know, which makes Seth Smith expendable.

Smith had an OPS of .807 last year along with a WAR of 3.9. He is a patient hitter who frequently gets on base (career OBP of .347). He is not a huge addition, but he is better than nothing and likely won't cost the Mariners much to land. With the Mariners gaping hole in RF, I see Smith as a better option than Ruggiano and better than the remaining FA option the Mariners have been linked to (Nori Aoki). Aoki could be a better option, but hits for less power than Smith and is looking for a 3 year deal.

Seth Smith is penciled in as the Padres starting first baseman now, so I'm not sure he is available. I mean, I'm sure they are listening to offers, but i don't think they are actively shopping him. Yonder Alonso is probably the odd man out there.

You know what the Padres really need? They need a natural leadoff hitter. They have Abraham Almonte who (don't laugh) actually did a decent job for them after he was traded, but there is currently no position open for him. They also need someone to compete with Amarista for the starting SS job. So, I could still see us trying to get one of the three big bats they've recently acquired and our return package would be some pieces from a group that includes Rameriz, Maurer, Taylor, Jones, Smith, Leone, Farhquar. Walker might be included if they were trading for Myers or Kemp, but I don't think they will give up Walker for one year of Upton.

Last edited by a moderator:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Padres have discussed Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels

by Chris Cwik | CBSSports.com

Sun, 21 Dec 2014 4:32 PM ET

The Padres have discussed a trade for Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels, according to the Daily News.
Newly-acquired outfielder Wil Myers would be used as the centerpiece in the deal. By bringing in Myers, Matt Kemp and Justin Upton, San Diego has a glut of talent in the outfield. While it seems strange that the team would turn around and deal Myers, he would be the type of talent the Phillies are said to be seeking for Hamels. Philadelphia reportedly wants two or three "premium" prospects for Hamels. The 30-year-old Hamels posted a 2.46 ERA over 204 2/3 innings last season. He's owed $90 million over the next four seasons.

DAMN!!! Padres GM playing MLB2K with trade override on???? Love the aggressiveness.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAMN!!! Padres GM playing MLB2K with trade override on???? Love the aggressiveness.

No crap, it seems weird. They kind of came out of nowhere this offseason. Going into the offseason you never saw that the Padres had the farm system or the ability to wheel and deal.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure about the Padres farm but it seems to me that their window to win is right now. Upton is on the last year of his deal and will be looking for huge pay day next year, not sure SD can match the offers he will receive. Kemp had a great 2nd half, but arthritic hips sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Myers will be around for awhile but he hasn't exactly arrived yet. I feel like if the M's made these same moves a majority of the board would be clamoring about mortgaging the future to win in 2015, which is no guarantee. It's definitely exciting for SD, but not sure I agree with all the moves and basically depleting the farm.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between mortgaging the future and articulating a major league outfield. The two need not be conflated. And fixing this outfield does a lot more for this team than simply helping us in 2015. It's a major weakness that needs to be addressed if we ever hope to regularly contend for postseason success. When will children understand that there's something in between Upton and platooning Ackley with whatever turd is available on the cheap, or platooning an entire position with a combination of turds that other contending teams just dumped? Jesus. The outfield is a disaster, and that's not complaining. It's reality.

Exactly nobody on here was in favor of giving up Walker for a year of Upton or anything like that, so just stop. I'd still like to find out what Z offered Cabrera compared to other teams.

It's looking like our best bet for getting this OF anywhere near what most contending teams have is for some of our youngsters to step up this spring training. It's all well and good if solutions come from that, but I'd rather see Z articulate a better product through winter work than we have right now. I'm sorry that it's so troublesome for some "fans" to hear.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have no problem with a team like Padres going for broke, but just not sure Kemp and Myers are the answers. I didn't want Kemp unless it was for next to nothing and they pay a majority of his salary. Myers would be a nice addition, but not a guy to put you over the top if you are still lacking talent. I like him more as a long term player. Upton is a nice get and would have like him in our lineup, but not at the cost of Walker or Paxton.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between mortgaging the future and articulating a major league outfield. The two need not be conflated. And fixing this outfield does a lot more for this team than simply helping us in 2015. It's a major weakness that needs to be addressed if we ever hope to regularly contend for postseason success. When will children understand that there's something in between Upton and platooning Ackley with whatever turd is available on the cheap, or platooning an entire position with a combination of turds that other contending teams just dumped? Jesus. The outfield is a disaster, and that's not complaining. It's reality.

Exactly nobody on here was in favor of giving up Walker for a year of Upton or anything like that, so just stop. I'd still like to find out what Z offered Cabrera compared to other teams.

It's looking like our best bet for getting this OF anywhere near what most contending teams have is for some of our youngsters to step up this spring training. It's all well and good if solutions come from that, but I'd rather see Z articulate a better product through winter work than we have right now. I'm sorry that it's so troublesome for some "fans" to hear.

Well I'd like to add on to that but that pretty much sums up the frustration with the offseason.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not Smith, another option would be Josh Reddick. Amongst OF's, he had the 8th best slg% vs RH's and would be a good platoon. I am not sure if the A's would deal him since they are a conservative team and all...lol.

Man I wish we could have gotten Moss though. Rasmus ranked 19th.

Last edited by a moderator:

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I in no way stated that I was pleased with the current status of the OF. I was simply stating that unless the Padres win it all this year, it seems they have set themselves back several years with Upton on the way out and Kemp basically day to day until he retires.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I in no way stated that I was pleased with the current status of the OF. I was simply stating that unless the Padres win it all this year, it seems they have set themselves back several years with Upton on the way out and Kemp basically day to day until he retires.

Not meaning this as sarcasm, but if they don't win it all this year what difference would next year be than the past decade for Padres? What guarantee would using those guys traded lead to anything different than the recent past?

Not harping at you, but hate the argument that making deals using prospects somehow mortgages the future. Nobody is guaranteed a future especially when it comes to unproven prospects. At some point you have to draw the line in the sand and say today is the day we go for it.

Bad analogy time: It is like a guy trying to decide if he should retire at 62 and possibly run out of money before he dies or work til 70 insuring he has enough money to live on but then dies at age 71 anyways. :hope:

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not meaning this as sarcasm, but if they don't win it all this year what difference would next year be than the past decade for Padres? What guarantee would using those guys traded lead to anything different than the recent past?

Not harping at you, but hate the argument that making deals using prospects somehow mortgages the future. Nobody is guaranteed a future especially when it comes to unproven prospects. At some point you have to draw the line in the sand and say today is the day we go for it.

Bad analogy time: It is like a guy trying to decide if he should retire at 62 and possibly run out of money before he dies or work til 70 insuring he has enough money to live on but then dies at age 71 anyways. :hope:

Ok, after going through my posts I think I just wasn't being as clear as I thought. I have no problem with the strategy the Padres used. I think my bigger concern is the type of players they got in return: a 1 and done, a divit in the outfield away from season/career ending injury, and an unproven hyped player.

You are 100% accurate that prospects fulfilling their potential is a crapshoot. I also agree that at some point the Padres had to say fuck it let's do something with this franchise, I just personally don't think this mix of players that were available was the right time. That's all.