• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seth Smith

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, good move. I know a lot of people liked Maurer because of his stuff, but I feel like we get a tremendous amount more of value from Seth Smith. According to Baseball-Reference, he had a WAR of 3.9 in 2014.

Smith hits righties well with a line of .270/.359/.455 and 12 HRs in 393 in 2014.
Ruggiano hit lefties well with a line of .305/.333/.512 and 3 HRs in 82 ABs in 2014.

You combine those and you actually get a pretty good line from the RF position. Not flashy, but a significant improvement.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only negative with a platoon is that you lose a bench player. Keeping both means you have one of them, backup catcher (Sucre), Willie, and either Montero for platoon at 1B, Taylor for backup infield (or Miller I guess), and Jones for another OF/Pinch runner duties.

But when you can't sign an everyday player, that is what happens. If Smith can play 1B as well, it helps or Ackley if Morrison goes down. Better 25 man roster though and that is what counts.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only negative with a platoon is that you lose a bench player. Keeping both means you have one of them, backup catcher (Sucre), Willie, and either Montero for platoon at 1B, Taylor for backup infield (or Miller I guess), and Jones for another OF/Pinch runner duties.

But when you can't sign an everyday player, that is what happens. If Smith can play 1B as well, it helps or Ackley if Morrison goes down. Better 25 man roster though and that is what counts.

Exactly. Also gives us more outfield depth in case Austin Jackson has a repeat of his 2014 Mariners performance.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would be our backup CF if Jackson doesn't pull his head out? Ruggiano? I have seen hm play, but didn't really pay attention if he was a doable CF. We have seen Ackley in CF, not a long term solution. No to Smith in CF. No to Cruz. I hope Chavez signs a minor league deal again with us. Nice insurance.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would be our backup CF if Jackson doesn't pull his head out? Ruggiano? I have seen hm play, but didn't really pay attention if he was a doable CF. We have seen Ackley in CF, not a long term solution. No to Smith in CF. No to Cruz. I hope Chavez signs a minor league deal again with us. Nice insurance.

Mr. Jones I'm assuming?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Jones I'm assuming?

No room for Jones on the roster. Only 4 spots for the bench:

1- Backup catcher
2- Willie
3- Smith/Ruggiano
4- Taylor/Montero/Jones

You have to think #4 spot would go to an infielder since Willie and Cruz can play OF and if you kept Jones Willie would be your only backup infielder unless they use Ackley as the Zobrist.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No room for Jones on the roster. Only 4 spots for the bench:

1- Backup catcher
2- Willie
3- Smith/Ruggiano
4- Taylor/Montero/Jones

You have to think #4 spot would go to an infielder since Willie and Cruz can play OF and if you kept Jones Willie would be your only backup infielder unless they use Ackley as the Zobrist.

Do they ever carry 14 hitters, 11 pitchers?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so, but could be wrong. Usually it is a 4 man bench and sometimes a 3 man when they need the extra arm.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Willie is truly healthy and able to return to his old role then I think you stick Taylor in Tacoma. Unless they are serious about moving Miller around which I hope they don't. If Montero is truly up to playing a little first I would prefer him be up and Jones to be in Tacoma. Lots of ifs I know right but what else is new.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, and the 'ifs' aren't all that exciting even at best. We are done numbers wise, but not quality wise. Still lots of room for improvement...unless of course you are M's management who still think Ackley is the nest coming of Clemente.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Willie is truly healthy and able to return to his old role then I think you stick Taylor in Tacoma. Unless they are serious about moving Miller around which I hope they don't. If Montero is truly up to playing a little first I would prefer him be up and Jones to be in Tacoma. Lots of ifs I know right but what else is new.

James Jones is a difficult decision. I feel like he has a lot of value as a pinch-runner as he stole 27 bases in 28 attempts. And with his natural ability to run like that, he probably has really high upside as a defensive player as well. But he has work to do, and in order to improve he needs regular playing time, which he won't get at the major league level.

I like Jones, I think he could be a Michael Bourn type player if he continues to improve. But he's not going to be able to do that on the bench.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Jones is a difficult decision. I feel like he has a lot of value as a pinch-runner as he stole 27 bases in 28 attempts. And with his natural ability to run like that, he probably has really high upside as a defensive player as well. But he has work to do, and in order to improve he needs regular playing time, which he won't get at the major league level.

I like Jones, I think he could be a Michael Bourn type player if he continues to improve. But he's not going to be able to do that on the bench.

That's what has frustrated me with their management of players of how they give certain more than enough time to show they aren't quality players but other guys aren't allowed to. Management that plays politics in baseball is toxic, it can be overcome by success but it can kill a clubhouse if they aren't winning. Much like how the handling of Ichiro was overlooked when they were at least competitive but once they started sucking is when players had enough of Ichiro's act.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup and Yup to the last 2 posts. Life of a M's fan.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they ever carry 14 hitters, 11 pitchers?

They do but it really comes down to the teams need of a long reliever/spot starter. If your rotation is getting quality starts there isn't a huge need because you can still rotate your bullpen arms to keep them fresh. That being said, the way the rotation looks today, I don't think the M's can get away with it.

That being said, I don't see where Willie fits into this team if he can't play SS. His only skill is playing multiple positions so if he can't play SS you're almost forced to carry Miller and Taylor. Either of which can play any of the other infield positions. The outfield is crowded already with the platoon going on and Nelson Cruz and Logan Morrison able to play if need be. At this point you'd basically be carrying Willie in case you have multiple injuries in one game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the deal... We have plenty of arms but don't have a lot of hitters with a on base % of .367...

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I actually think Jones could end up being a solid player but if the only reason he is on the 25 man is to be a pinch runner, I would rather him be in Tacoma. The outfield figures to have the same issues next year so maybe thats when he is ready to nail down a spot for sure.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Jones get playing time but like SeattleCoug said if he's just going to sit the bench or PR I'd rather have him getting his reps in down in Tacoma. Imagine if he can manage to get on base consistently, he can become a major base stealing threat!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree he needs to play everyday, but with the slugs we have on our team now wouldn't it be nice to have his base threat on the bench for late innings? I just don't think there is room for him. I have never seen a 5 man bench in baseball unless it is for a short time like a week around the A.S. game when SP's wouldn't have another start type deal and had eligibility left to be sent down.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seemed like LMC preferred a 3 man bench most of the time last year. Of course a lot of that could have been due to lack of positional player talent on the 40 man last year. We will see but yea no way they go with anymore then a 4 man bench.