• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Padres favorites to lock down James Shields from MLBTR

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres going World Series or bust!

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

Who ya like for the AL?

I'm thinking the division winners Angels, White Sox (homerish pick, any of 4 teams could win the ALC), Toronto

WC contenders: Mariners, Red Sox, Tigers, Royals, Indians, maybe Orioles and As

It's really hard to figure out the AL- has as much parity in it as I can remember in my brief life thus far, personally. I don't see a lot of teams that I would consider writing off- some might laugh, but I would say there are only 2 teams in the AL you can truly write off completely right now. I'd kind of like to revisit the Tigers in particular when we have a clearer picture about the recovery time for Miggy and Vmart- their schedule allows a window for April to faceplant them in a big hole against the division H2H in a doomsday scenario.

Tentatively going with this however:

ALW: Mariners
ALC: Indians
ALE: Blue Jays

WC Contenders:

Tier 1 clear candidates- with some homerism included

Angels, Tigers, White Sox, O's, Royals (somewhat homerish, but hey, why not after a WS appearance)

Tier 2 Wait and see teams- might be projected to do well even, but pump the brakes

Boston, New York, and Oakland

Tier 3 Deep Sleepers- could get there if a lot of things go right that didn't happen last year

Rangers, Rays

Tier 4 Write'em off, they won't surprise, or at least not enough for the playoffs.

Twins, Astros

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really hard to figure out the AL- has as much parity in it as I can remember in my brief life thus far, personally. I don't see a lot of teams that I would consider writing off- some might laugh, but I would say there are only 2 teams in the AL you can truly write off completely right now. I'd kind of like to revisit the Tigers in particular when we have a clearer picture about the recovery time for Miggy and Vmart- their schedule allows a window for April to faceplant them in a big hole against the division H2H in a doomsday scenario.

Tentatively going with this however:

ALW: Mariners
ALC: Indians
ALE: Blue Jays

WC Contenders:

Tier 1 clear candidates- with some homerism included

Angels, Tigers, White Sox, O's, Royals (somewhat homerish, but hey, why not after a WS appearance)

Tier 2 Wait and see teams- might be projected to do well even, but pump the brakes

Boston, New York, and Oakland

Tier 3 Deep Sleepers- could get there if a lot of things go right that didn't happen last year

Rangers, Rays

Tier 4 Write'em off, they won't surprise, or at least not enough for the playoffs.

Twins, Astros

Well put, I agree lots of parity in the AL. And I think even the Astros might be a deep sleeper.

There's always a team or two that contends that no one saw coming.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I seriously doubt you understand what's 'average' by MLB standards.

A guy who's posted a 124 ERA+, 1.16 WHIP, 3.5 K/BB while averaging 233 innings per season the last 4 years is more than merely 'slightly above average.'

They still overpaid for him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still overpaid for him.

No such thing anymore, every year the salaries go up, and it costs more to get the same level player you got just 2 years ago...

When the Giants signed Hunter Pence to a 5/70 many (including me) thought that looked high (but in my case I was in favor) and now that's a steal.

In 2 years the next player of Shields' type will get 4/95

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No such thing anymore, every year the salaries go up, and it costs more to get the same level player you got just 2 years ago...

When the Giants signed Hunter Pence to a 5/70 many (including me) thought that looked high (but in my case I was in favor) and now that's a steal.

In 2 years the next player of Shields' type will get 4/95

Teams should invest in a good farm system instead of overpaying these mercenaries.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams should invest in a good farm system instead of overpaying these mercenaries.

Here's the interesting thing about Preller though, if he is this aggressive in acquiring guys, I bet he'll be just as aggressive selling off via trade if necessity demands it. He won't be like that numbskull in Philly from what I can tell if shit hits the fan.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add him to the list.

Seriously, dude, take off your blinders. I am not going to get into here, because, frankly, I am tired of the debate, but anyone who calls the Giants cheap is 1) stupid; 2) a troll; 3) lying; 4) all of the above.

Further, your rant that no one wants to play for the Giants is equally asinine.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Shields, at 4/75 is a good pitcher. I have to assume he will be AT WORST a #2/#3 level pitcher for the next 2 years. I think it safe to assume he will give lower-end #1 numbers in '15. '17 and '18 will likely be tough years, but that is the price of doing business these days.

I will stand by my point about the Padres defense, though. That OF will be fun to watch. And I am not talking Royals fun. I am talking Bad News Bears fun...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, dude, take off your blinders. I am not going to get into here, because, frankly, I am tired of the debate, but anyone who calls the Giants cheap is 1) stupid; 2) a troll; 3) lying; 4) all of the above.

It was you who said Shields turned down 4/80 from the Giants for less money from the Padres. Just this year, we have Sandoval, Lester and Shields who turned down the Giants, and those are just the ones we know of. They get replaced by middling players like Aoki and McGehee who come cheap and have no other options.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was you who said Shields turned down 4/80 from the Giants for less money from the Padres. Just this year, we have Sandoval, Lester and Shields who turned down the Giants, and those are just the ones we know of. They get replaced by middling players like Aoki and McGehee who come cheap and have no other options.

Shields is from San Diego. Aoki and McGehee have plenty of options, at the lower price point like you point out.

The rest you've heard the reasons but aren't willing to listen. This is one reason why you got banned from the Niners board and are pretty close to it on the Giants board. And also helped you kill the Warriors board.

I wish cal had ignored you, almost everyone else has been and once you are completely ignored you'll stop trolling.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are definitely in the mix for a wild card spot on paper (injuries as always the x factor for everyone)

Division winners will probably be the Nats, Cards, and Dodgers again

Wild card contenders are Giants, Padres, Pirates, Marlins, maybe Cubs.

They're definitely in the mix.

I was just responding to the poster who had them at the Wild Card, at the worst. They improved but not to the point where they're a lock to play post season baseball.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even if it is true, which it isn't, the teams players 'want to play for' haven't managed to win 3 rings in 5 years so I'm fine with it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shields is from San Diego. Aoki and McGehee have plenty of options, at the lower price point like you point out.

The rest you've heard the reasons but aren't willing to listen. This is one reason why you got banned from the Niners board and are pretty close to it on the Giants board. And also helped you kill the Warriors board.

I wish cal had ignored you, almost everyone else has been and once you are completely ignored you'll stop trolling.

How can one "troll" an MLB board talking about the Giants? Isn't this where we come to talk freely so folks don't get their panties all in a bunch on team boards? And where are you getting this stuff about being banned from the Giants board, I've heard nothing of the sort?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure if anyone mentioned this fact, but it makes me think this deal could shape up to be a Zeets-type albatross at the end.

Last edited by a moderator: