• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Padres favorites to lock down James Shields from MLBTR

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Steve Adams [February 7, 2015 at 2:43pm CST]
2:43pm: The Padres and Shields are currently “at an impasse” after several hours of negotiations, tweets Miller. The ball is Shields’ court at this point, he adds.

1:31pm: The Padres are indeed the favorites to sign Shields, “if not a lock already,” reports MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro (on Twitter). Frisaro covers another team, the Marlins, who have been linked to Shields throughout the offseason.

11:15am: Talks between the Padres and James Shields “have heated up and are gaining momentum,” according to Scott Miller of FOX Sports San Diego/Bleacher Report (Twitter link). Shields, a native of Santa Clarita, Calif. (just 150 miles from San Diego), very much likes the idea of pitching in San Diego, Miller adds.

Last night, Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported that nothing was imminent between the two sides at this point, though he added that things could change quickly. Within his piece, Lin noted that Cole Hamels (a San Diego native himself) could be the team’s top target, but no club had yet come close to matching an asking price that many clubs believe to be exorbitant.

Rumors have been connecting the Padres and Shields for quite some time now. Adding an arm of his caliber to an already-strong rotation would be the icing of the cake, so to speak, on what has been a nearly unfathomably active offseason for first-year general manager A.J. Preller. The former Rangers executive was named GM in August and set out to transform the Padres’ low-scoring offense not with a lengthy rebuild, but by using his farm system to acquire several win-now bats. San Diego has added Matt Kemp, Justin Upton, Wil Myers, Derek Norris and Will Middlebrooks this winter as well as relievers Shawn Kelley and Brandon Maurer while keeping the big league roster largely intact. The most notable subtractions from last year’s 25-man roster are Seth Smith, Yasmani Grandal and Jesse Hahn.

Shields, the prize of the remaining crop of free agents, is reportedly expected to make a decision on a destination before the weekend is complete. If signed, he’d join Andrew Cashner, Tyson Ross and Ian Kennedy atop a strong group of starters and further the Friars’ chances of reaching the postseason for the first time since 2006.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the Padres! If the Giants are too cheap to sign him with all the cash they have available then it serves them right that their division rival gets him.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the Padres, they look to be at worst a wild card team this year.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im impressed with the Padres this off season. I have recently thought of the Padres as being in the same boat as the Mariners when it comes to success. However this off season has been slightly dissapointing for the Mariners and Padres ended up doing a lot of moves I would have loved the mariners to do. Good for the Padres I hope all these moves gets them into the playoffs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4/73-75 being reported.

Nice contract for them.

Let other FAs learn from this. Waiting out the market only works for the super-elite players. He reportedly turned down a 4/80 by the Giants and other teams earlier in the process.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice contract for them.

Let other FAs learn from this. Waiting out the market only works for the super-elite players. He reportedly turned down a 4/80 by the Giants and other teams earlier in the process.

Dan Duquette of the O's has been the king of this as well in recent years. Can't argue with their results at all- and it really should be employed more by clubs, imo.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad. It's nice to see the Pads making a serious effort at building a contender.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice contract for them.

Add him to the list.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the Padres, they look to be at worst a wild card team this year.

I don't know about that.

They'll be playoff contenders for sure and a lot can happen during a 162 game season but right now they still don't look better than the Dodgers or Giants.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the Padres! If the Giants are too cheap to sign him with all the cash they have available then it serves them right that their division rival gets him.

They just overpaid for a slightly above average pitcher. No wonder the Padres suck.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just overpaid for a slightly above average pitcher. No wonder the Padres suck.

He's clearly a good deal better then slightly above average.

I would be a little concerned with the innings on his arm at this point in his career though.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guns N Guitars;6320071[B said:
]They just overpaid for a slightly above average pitcher.[/B] No wonder the Padres suck.

Then I seriously doubt you understand what's 'average' by MLB standards.

A guy who's posted a 124 ERA+, 1.16 WHIP, 3.5 K/BB while averaging 233 innings per season the last 4 years is more than merely 'slightly above average.'

Last edited by a moderator:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I seriously doubt you understand what's 'average' by MLB standards.

A guy who's posted a 124 ERA+, 1.16 WHIP while averaging 233 innings per season the last 4 years is more than merely 'slightly above average.'

Yovani Gallardo is a slightly above average pitcher..and James Shields is significantly better than Gallardo by comparison.

I'd have some pretty big concerns for him going forward though. That changeup went from an elite pitch to pretty ordinary from what I was watching in the games. And it is somewhat backed up by fangraphs when I see the changeup graded out at >+10 prior to 2014, then collapsing to -3 in 2014. It tends to imply he can't use it to get hitters on both sides of the plate out with the change like he did in the past. I am not sure if the projection system picks up on that kind of thing, but I wouldn't touch Shields with a 10 foot pole, personally. Not saying his numbers will be ineffective, just saying there is reason to be legitimately concerned going forward about Shields.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that.

They'll be playoff contenders for sure and a lot can happen during a 162 game season but right now they still don't look better than the Dodgers or Giants.

They are definitely in the mix for a wild card spot on paper (injuries as always the x factor for everyone)

Division winners will probably be the Nats, Cards, and Dodgers again

Wild card contenders are Giants, Padres, Pirates, Marlins, maybe Cubs.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are definitely in the mix for a wild card spot on paper (injuries as always the x factor for everyone)

Division winners will probably be the Nats, Cards, and Dodgers again

Wild card contenders are Giants, Padres, Pirates, Marlins, maybe Cubs.

Yeah, it's getting awfully close to the point where serious preseason predictions for the playoffs can start. I'd add the Mets as a deep sleeper.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's getting awfully close to the point where serious preseason predictions for the playoffs can start. I'd add the Mets as a deep sleeper.

Agree.

Who ya like for the AL?

I'm thinking the division winners Angels, White Sox (homerish pick, any of 4 teams could win the ALC), Toronto

WC contenders: Mariners, Red Sox, Tigers, Royals, Indians, maybe Orioles and As