• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Number of rounds in MBBRL Dynasty Draft

How many rounds should we have in the draft?

• Other(please explain in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks! Good to be back. .the Caribbean is great and all, but missing my bed, my couch, my tv..my Internet!
Lol

Well, as long as it's drop and draft round by round .not drop the number of rounds worth of players, and then draft, I don't care how many rounds there are, and the 5 we previously decided on would be fine
this is how i though we settled it 2 weeks ago or so

im all for drop draft drop draft pass drop draft etc etc...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is how i though we settled it 2 weeks ago or so

im all for drop draft drop draft pass drop draft etc etc...
We did. .but we also didn't realize that would create more work for micro either. .so I'd feel bad if we didn't at least make sure he was okay with the extra duties before just assuming we're doing it

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did. .but we also didn't realize that would create more work for micro either. .so I'd feel bad if we didn't at least make sure he was okay with the extra duties before just assuming we're doing it
absolutely

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this blows. .sort of. .
Wasn't planning on dropping anyone until my spot in the draft comes up. ..each round. .one at a time becuase honestly, I don't have the slightest clue if the 2nd or 3rd guy in my roster is gonna be worth dropping by the time 27, or 41 other players have gone off the board.
So I'm voting for one. .and we need an option to do more if we do choose, but only one mandatory imho-technically should be zero, but hell, theres always at least one guy worth dropping
I tried looking back at the thread that discussed this. Only found this excerpt from you:

if the draft is mandatory, we have to drop 5 guys, if it's not, than we don't have to drop any if we so choose. .not sure what the point of the question was if that's not the case . So in my opinion, we just did make a final decision on how many we have to drop, and the result was 0, except to make room for draft picks

I completely am in agreement that teams shouldn't be forced to drop a certain amount, if any, players on their team. If they like what they like above all or any rookies/FAs, then they should be allowed to keep them. Here's my issue with what is being discussed in this thread:

I personally feel it's ridiculous that an owner would be allowed to drop a player right before their pick each round. If you like your team, you should have to set your keepers before the draft starts. If there are players you don't quite like, or even have questions about, you should drop them and gain that pick, or keep them and take your chances. I have never, ever, been a part of a keeper or dynasty league in football or baseball where you didn't have a keeper deadline date. And I'm perfectly fine having it be right before the draft. But mid draft dropping players? Never even heard of the idea. You've talked about being competitive, and imo, these takes a bit of that edge out. Part of the keeper process is to either take chances on keeping players or not. An owner shouldn't be able to drop someone simply bc they NOW see an option in the draft they want. This should've been decided before it started. All this is imo of course.

And I can't find the thread where this was agreed upon to be able to read peoples' thoughts and ideas. Can you point me in the right direction?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried looking back at the thread that discussed this. Only found this excerpt from you:

if the draft is mandatory, we have to drop 5 guys, if it's not, than we don't have to drop any if we so choose. .not sure what the point of the question was if that's not the case . So in my opinion, we just did make a final decision on how many we have to drop, and the result was 0, except to make room for draft picks

I completely am in agreement that teams shouldn't be forced to drop a certain amount, if any, players on their team. If they like what they like above all or any rookies/FAs, then they should be allowed to keep them. Here's my issue with what is being discussed in this thread:

I personally feel it's ridiculous that an owner would be allowed to drop a player right before their pick each round. If you like your team, you should have to set your keepers before the draft starts. If there are players you don't quite like, or even have questions about, you should drop them and gain that pick, or keep them and take your chances. I have never, ever, been a part of a keeper or dynasty league in football or baseball where you didn't have a keeper deadline date. And I'm perfectly fine having it be right before the draft. But mid draft dropping players? Never even heard of the idea. You've talked about being competitive, and imo, these takes a bit of that edge out. Part of the keeper process is to either take chances on keeping players or not. An owner shouldn't be able to drop someone simply bc they NOW see an option in the draft they want. This should've been decided before it started. All this is imo of course.

And I can't find the thread where this was agreed upon to be able to read peoples' thoughts and ideas. Can you point me in the right direction?
I guess that part is an assumption, in my part, and I think, at least a few others. But, the polls gave us the hard answers, and the lack of dissenting opinions, until yours right here, I'd what gave us the assumption that everyone was cool with it working that way.
If there is some dissenting opinions, by all means, we should get that hammered out, quickly.

Basically though, if the rounds, all the rounds, are not mandatory, as per the vote, how do we determine how many to make owners drop to participate? Have each owner declare a number beforehand, and then that owner is forced to stick to it? I guess that'd work?

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that part is an assumption, in my part, and I think, at least a few others. But, the polls gave us the hard answers, and the lack of dissenting opinions, until yours right here, I'd what gave us the assumption that everyone was cool with it working that way.
If there is some dissenting opinions, by all means, we should get that hammered out, quickly.

Basically though, if the rounds, all the rounds, are not mandatory, as per the vote, how do we determine how many to make owners drop to participate? Have each owner declare a number beforehand, and then that owner is forced to stick to it? I guess that'd work?
and this could lead to another question at least in my silly head it does

if owner 1 drops only 1 does his first pick come in round 15 or last round if we use 5 rounds

or does his pick come in round 1 where i guess it belongs

i know i have been in leagues where one team kept 3 and another kept 5 the team that kept 3 drafted twice before the team that kept 5

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully believe this discussion was hammered out weeks ago and find rehashing it a bit annoying (perhaps that's just me). I don't get the object to a drop then draft or pass approach. Those dropped immediately go on waivers so what's the difference other than you know who's on waivers a few days beforehand ???

Sorry to come off harsh if it seems that way. ..... but I think any further discussion on my part will be fruitless and probably not in my best interest - I've given my opinion on more than one occasion. Let me know what is decided.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've already dropped players, but got no problem with teams not having to drop players until their pick comes up. It's not likely anyone is interested in these marginal players that are going to be dropped for a draft pick anyway, if they are they can always try to pick them up on waivers.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully believe this discussion was hammered out weeks ago and find rehashing it a bit annoying
Thats why I asked Treff where the thread was, b/c I couldn't find it.
I don't get the object to a drop then draft or pass approach
B/c in all of my experiences with keepers and dynasties, the keepers had to be set before the draft. It seems odd that a team can decide during the draft that they want to draft a player instead of keeping one or others. IMO this should have been something decided upon before you draft.
It's not likely anyone is interested in these marginal players that are going to be dropped for a draft pick anyway
I don't mean about the dropped players being scooped up. My issue is just that keepers and dropped players should be decided before you go into a draft, not waiting until you see who'e there when you would be drafting.

Like I said, I've never played in a league like that. If this is how it's going to be, and has already been decided, that's fine. I needed to get it straightened out b/c the site doesn't allow drops to happen during a draft. Not trying to stir up issues, but I wanted to voice my concerns.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and this could lead to another question at least in my silly head it does

if owner 1 drops only 1 does his first pick come in round 15 or last round if we use 5 rounds

or does his pick come in round 1 where i guess it belongs

i know i have been in leagues where one team kept 3 and another kept 5 the team that kept 3 drafted twice before the team that kept 5
All the picks will be in the first rounds. I contacted the site and the keepers will already be on your roster. So if you keep 15 players, you will have 3 draft picks in the first 3 rounds, or wherever they are based on any trades you were involved in.

This was also why i asked about how many rounds. I didn't see any reason why we needed a gazillion rounds when most teams won't be drafting that many.

I'm simply trying to set the draft up to go as smoothly as possible.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why I asked Treff where the thread was, b/c I couldn't find it.
I didn't specify only because it's spread across about 5 threads, a dozen pages, and at least three polls..so, much like the trade discussions, it's scattered everywhere

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Lefty on this one, I was under the assumption that it would be 5 rounds and everyone had the option to pass if so desired. So I voted for the 5. But whatever is agreed upon is fine with me. I think.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is just that keepers and dropped players should be decided before you go into a draft, not waiting until you see who'e there when you would be drafting.

I do agree with this. Standard protocol, is it not?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree with this. Standard protocol, is it not?
In keeper leagues yes, in Dynasty leagues, yes and no. .in dynasties where you're allowed to keep the entire roster (which is what we've voted to do), then it's not so cut and dry. Making it a rule to declare how many and who your going to drop is a direct contradiction of allowing owners to keep the entire roster, they both don't co-exist very well. There are ways around it, such as forcing owners to declare how many rounds they plan to participate in, and dropping that many players no later than the night before the draft. .But then we're running into problems with the values of trades that have already happened. As in, if only half the teams participate in round 3 and beyond (as of right now, I may very well be one of them), all of a sudden those 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks gain value, maybe some owners wouldn't have traded them away? If my #'s 42, 56, and 70 picks overnight became #'s 35, 42, and 49..I might want to reconsider the entire draft, my trade valuation, and how many rounds I'd be wanting to participate in. Considering roster moves, including adds/drops, have already been made with what I believe to be the accepted assumption of drop/draft, round by round, in mind I don't think it's a good idea to throw a change up at this point.
Something we should DEFINITELY revisit before the 2017 "offseason" though. .before we start making moves

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, if we're going to set a standard number of rounds, applying across the board, then what we've just done, is take a big dump on the poll where we voted on how many roster spots we can keep, where 18 was a near unanimous decision-actually of the 11 owners who voted, it was a unanimous vote for 18

Last edited:

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, if we're going to set a standard number of rounds, applying across the board, then what we've just done, is take a big dump on the poll where we voted on how many roster spots we can keep, where 18 was a near unanimous decision-actually of the 11 owners who voted, it was a unanimous vote for 18

:agree:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree. The vote was for how many you can keep, not the exact amount you can keep. The keeper deadline, for lack of a better term, has nothing to do with the amount you can keep. I am all for teams being able to keep their entire roster if they feel the need. I just think it takes part of the competitiveness out of it when you can pick and choose who you want to drop and/or draft DURING the draft, all because you saw a guy you NOW want to draft. IMO, if you were potentially targeting this guy, you should've kept an open draft spot in order to attempt to attain him.

Part of the fun of dynasty/keeper leagues is attempting to figure out who to keep for the future before factoring any rookies for the upcoming year.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In keeper leagues yes, in Dynasty leagues, yes and no. .in dynasties where you're allowed to keep the entire roster (which is what we've voted to do), then it's not so cut and dry. Making it a rule to declare how many and who your going to drop is a direct contradiction of allowing owners to keep the entire roster, they both don't co-exist very well. There are ways around it, such as forcing owners to declare how many rounds they plan to participate in, and dropping that many players no later than the night before the draft. .But then we're running into problems with the values of trades that have already happened. As in, if only half the teams participate in round 3 and beyond (as of right now, I may very well be one of them), all of a sudden those 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks gain value, maybe some owners wouldn't have traded them away? If my #'s 42, 56, and 70 picks overnight became #'s 35, 42, and 49..I might want to reconsider the entire draft, my trade valuation, and how many rounds I'd be wanting to participate in. Considering roster moves, including adds/drops, have already been made with what I believe to be the accepted assumption of drop/draft, round by round, in mind I don't think it's a good idea to throw a change up at this point.
Something we should DEFINITELY revisit before the 2017 "offseason" though. .before we start making moves
What about a team that keeps all 18 players, but has traded away a draft pick to another team? Say he made some trades and had intentions of drafting a player or two, but then realized his roster was perfectly ok the way it was? Now that team that had traded for one of his draft picks just lost out b/c he doesn't have that spot to give away. This could come up in potential scenarios if we don't set a deadline that keepers need to be set by. That's opening up a can of worms that is dangerous. I'd be pissed if I traded for a draft spot and that team then decided they were keeping all 18 players.

Again, I've never seen or even heard of a dynasty league where there isn't a clear cut keeper deadline date. This is the first I've ever heard of being able to drop a player during a draft because a player suddenly is available that you possibly didn't think would land to you, or however the situation arose. It simply seems asinine to me that this would be considered ok to do. You think everyone should draft a kicker in a draft, but feel it's ok to drop players during a draft in lieu of new possibilities? The potential draft pick should've been prepared for before the draft IMO.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I've never seen or even heard of a dynasty league where there isn't a clear cut keeper deadline date. This is the first I've ever heard of being able to drop a player during a draft because a player suddenly is available that you possibly didn't think would land to you, or however the situation arose.

Yeah. It just doesn't make sense. I mean, I'll try anything, but this seems...askew.

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first ill say that yes i liked and agreed with Treff's and Lefty's idea of drop draft pass drop etc

and i dont want to show hypocrisy here because i did like it

however i do admit that in all the keeper leagues i have been in
yes we did have to abide by a drop deadline

and Micro does have a valid point

and that would be how can you trade away a pick that you do not have at least i think he is saying that
if you keep 18 you do not have a pick to trade away
ie each draft pick replaces a roster spot and if you keep 18 you do not have any draft picks

that is why i asked earlier about the value of each pick and when they are made

the reality is if you do not state how many you are keeping then you really do not know how many draft picks you really are entitled to

we do need to settle this (and it should be a priority)