• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos QB Pick in the Draft

Who would get your vote?

• Michael Penix

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bo Nix

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • JJ McCarthy

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • None of these. Get non-QB BPA.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
March 22
  • Auburn
  • Boston College
  • Florida State
  • Kentucky
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
any one know about if we sent someone to Michigan pro day ?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade down, add more picks, and take Penix.

He had the best pro day by most accounts.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix is NFL ready....the only question about him is the injuries he has had.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is 24 such a problem for a QB? With the new NIL stuff start getting use to QB's being 24 coming out. 24 doesn't bother me with a rookie QB. I see advantages to being 24... If the guys gets above 25 coming out then I will be a bit more concerned. A good QB is a good QB.

I know this comment is from a few months ago, DC, and I don't know if anyone responded but I would say the biggest issue with a 24 year old QB like Nix is that he has been playing college football for 6 years. This poses two challenges.

1. Physically he's pretty much the end product as is. He's not likely to build a lot of muscle mass going forward. Compare that to a Maye or McCarthy who are just 21 and likely to get bigger.
2. He's played a LOT of college football. This is good in the sense that he has a lot of competitive games under his belt but it could create an illusion of competence. What I mean is that he has a ton more experience than just about everyone else on the field. But there is a limit to the value of playing at the collegiate level. His mastery of college football does not mean that he is more prepared to be a top flight QB in the NFL.

Having said all that, it is entirely possible that he will an extremely good QB in the NFL. But that is why his age is a concern for teams looking to draft him.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this comment is from a few months ago, DC, and I don't know if anyone responded but I would say the biggest issue with a 24 year old QB like Nix is that he has been playing college football for 6 years. This poses two challenges.

1. Physically he's pretty much the end product as is. He's not likely to build a lot of muscle mass going forward. Compare that to a Maye or McCarthy who are just 21 and likely to get bigger.
2. He's played a LOT of college football. This is good in the sense that he has a lot of competitive games under his belt but it could create an illusion of competence. What I mean is that he has a ton more experience than just about everyone else on the field. But there is a limit to the value of playing at the collegiate level. His mastery of college football does not mean that he is more prepared to be a top flight QB in the NFL.

Having said all that, it is entirely possible that he will an extremely good QB in the NFL. But that is why his age is a concern for teams looking to draft him.
It's not like he is Chris Weinke. 29 when he was a rookie.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like he is Chris Weinke. 29 when he was a rookie.

Of course not. Weinke is also considered one of the worst 1st round picks of the past 15 years. Although his issue was that he started football so late.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. Weinke is also considered one of the worst 1st round picks of the past 15 years. Although his issue was that he started football so late.
Really? Hmmmmm......interesting.

He was selected in the 4th round. In 2001.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Hmmmmm......interesting.

He was selected in the 4th round. In 2001.
Oh I thought he was drafted in the 1st. Memory is going

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade down, add more picks, and take Penix.

He had the best pro day by most accounts.
And never underestimate people day.

No pass rush and the QB is throwing to guys he has chemistry with. A good to great QB should excel at his pro day.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really - this sounds like nonsense to me. lol - Nix doesn't need to build more muscle - why that is a downside I don't know? LOl - also what could he have proved he was good at - while playing college football other than college football.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really - this sounds like nonsense to me. lol - Nix doesn't need to build more muscle - why that is a downside I don't know? LOl - also what could he have proved he was good at - while playing college football other than college football.

That's cool. I'm not arguing that Nix is a good pick or not. I was simply articulating why his age is a factor in drafting him.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of the QB, I think what matters most when making the transition from college to the NFL is the aptitude and abilities from the neck up

If Bo Nix makes the same great adjustments and progress he made when going from Auburn to Oregon, and does the same going from Oregon to the NFL, he's gonna be an excellent NFL QB - even if muscle mass and every other physical characteristic remain exactly the same ..

If Drew Brees had Bo Nix's 2024 physique - a 24 year old body that has played only collegiate football - he'd still have had tremendous success ..

The mental and brain power aspect of making it as an NFL QB can not be underestimated ..

Now, I don't know Bo Nix or how he compares to some of the NFL greats in terms of mental aptitude, smarts, processing, etc etc ... But the guy made some incredible improvement from his days at Auburn to where he is now, and that must be factored in, regardless of whether or not his body will continue to bulk up or get stronger or whatever ..

And it's not like he brings nothing to the table as far as physical traits .. He's got enough there to make it, so long as what's between the ears can adjust and become NFL caliber

In reality, the same can be said for any QB prospect, whether they are 21 years old or 24

Last edited:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's cool. I'm not arguing that Nix is a good pick or not. I was simply articulating why his age is a factor in drafting him.
With all due respect - you had - to my mind - two ludicrous reasons: 1_ Nix had all the muscle he was going to have at 24 - while his QB peers can still be trained up. 2) Nix was an excellent college QB - but that does not necessarily indicate he will do well in the pro-game.

No, being 24 simply counts against him as someone who will likely have two or three years shorter a career than the other QBs you an draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect - you had - to my mind - two ludicrous reasons: 1_ Nix had all the muscle he was going to have at 24 - while his QB peers can still be trained up. 2) Nix was an excellent college QB - but that does not necessarily indicate he will do well in the pro-game.

No, being 24 simply counts against him as someone who will likely have two or three years shorter a career than the other QBs you an draft.

Cool. So college success pretty much translates to professional success if your book. Good to know.

Absolutely NO TEAM is going to avoid drafting Nix because his career will be 2 or 3 years shorter than other QBs. If teams could be certain that he was going to be an All-Pro level QB for the next 12 years rather than 15 he would be taken Number 1 over all in the draft. That isn't how teams grade draft prospects.

My arguments aren't even particularly controversial. They are commonly accepted in the NBA...

Obviously the NBA has an even more pronounced bias towards younger players due to the nature of the game. But the point is the same in the NFL just not as extreme.

The same is true in baseball.

Bo Nix was an average to below average QB at Auburn. He come to Oregon, at age 22, and excels. If you don't think those 3 years of experience at Auburn had any impact on his performance at Oregon, I don't know what to tell you.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of the QB, I think what matters most when making the transition from college to the NFL is the aptitude and abilities from the neck up

If Bo Nix makes the same great adjustments and progress he made when going from Auburn to Oregon, and does the same going from Oregon to the NFL, he's gonna be an excellent NFL QB - even if muscle mass and every other physical characteristic remain exactly the same ..

If Drew Brees had Bo Nix's 2024 physique - a 24 year old body that has played only collegiate football - he'd still have had tremendous success ..

The mental and brain power aspect of making it as an NFL QB can not be underestimated ..

Now, I don't know Bo Nix or how he compares to some of the NFL greats in terms of mental aptitude, smarts, processing, etc etc ... But the guy made some incredible improvement from his days at Auburn to where he is now, and that must be factored in, regardless of whether or not his body will continue to bulk up or get stronger or whatever ..

And it's not like he brings nothing to the table as far as physical traits .. He's got enough there to make it, so long as what's between the ears can adjust and become NFL caliber

In reality, the same can be said for any QB prospect, whether they are 21 years old or 24

I agree. Bo Nix could wind up being the best QB in this draft class. It close to impossible to know whether a draft prospect will be able to make the adjustment to the NFL or not. If teams did know that, the draft would be a lot easier.

But there are reasons why he is considered the 5th or 6th QB on the board despite having some incredible stats. His age and the style of offense that Oregon played are the 2 biggest issues with Nix.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Bo Nix could wind up being the best QB in this draft class. It close to impossible to know whether a draft prospect will be able to make the adjustment to the NFL or not. If teams did know that, the draft would be a lot easier.

But there are reasons why he is considered the 5th or 6th QB on the board despite having some incredible stats. His age and the style of offense that Oregon played are the 2 biggest issues with Nix.
I agree with this - which is distinct from the flimsy reasons you offered earlier. There is obviously a reason why he is considered the 5th best QB in this draft - those reasons are just stupid - IMO. Offering up that his muscles are already developed and that he is a successful college QB and that doesn't translate - are WTF - reasons. I agree that success as a college QB doesn't not guarantee pro success, but it is a better indicator of success than failure as a college QB.

Yes - NFL scouts can be stupid- and they have a long history of being stupid about QBs. Bo Nix has the fastest release of all the prospective QB in this draft and he can hit his receivers coming out of their breaks - which is another QB trait that is an unusual skill for a college QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this - which is distinct from the flimsy reasons you offered earlier. There is obviously a reason why he is considered the 5th best QB in this draft - those reasons are just stupid - IMO. Offering up that his muscles are already developed and that he is a successful college QB and that doesn't translate - are WTF - reasons. I agree that success as a college QB doesn't not guarantee pro success, but it is a better indicator of success than failure as a college QB.

Well that is certainly an interesting butchering of what I said.

Draftcrazy asked why people were talking about Nix's age. I gave reasons. You don't like them. That's your right. IMO, your argument that teams don't like his age because his entire career will be a few years less than a younger QB is absolutely ridiculous. Absolutely ZERO teams will draft a player based on whether they will have a 10 or 12 or 15 year career.

Yes - NFL scouts can be stupid- and they have a long history of being stupid about QBs. Bo Nix has the fastest release of all the prospective QB in this draft and he can hit his receivers coming out of their breaks - which is another QB trait that is an unusual skill for a college QB.

Bo Nix also threw something like 60% of all of passes at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Let me reiterate that I'm not arguing for or against Nix. I was simply stating why some teams will see his age as a negative.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've highlighted the drivel you actually posted. Muscle Mass??? really?

His mastery of college football does not mean that he is more prepared to be a topflight QB in the NFL - I agree with this but it is a distinction without a difference for every college QB going into the draft.

Of course, his age is a limiting factor in his draft status - a QB is the greatest investment a team can make - how long are able to you have a QB at peak performance - should be a big factor in the draft status.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've highlighted the drivel you actually posted. Muscle Mass??? really?

Is there a reason why you need to be a dick about this? You disagree. That's fine. You aren't even presenting a counter argument. You are just being insulting. Is Bo a family member of yours?

His mastery of college football does not mean that he is more prepared to be a topflight QB in the NFL - I agree with this but it is a distinction without a difference for every college QB going into the draft.

Of course, his age is a limiting factor in his draft status - a QB is the greatest investment a team can make - how long are able to you have a QB at peak performance - should be a big factor in the draft status.

That you think that teams would avoid drafting a 24 year old because his career might be a little shorter is pretty surreal. If teams knew that one QB would be elite for 8 years and retire or another QB would be merely good for 15 years, they would take the former over the latter every time.