• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos QB Pick in the Draft

Who would get your vote?

• Michael Penix

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bo Nix

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • JJ McCarthy

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • None of these. Get non-QB BPA.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a reason why you need to be a dick about this? You disagree. That's fine. You aren't even presenting a counter argument. You are just being insulting. Is Bo a family member of yours?

That you think that teams would avoid drafting a 24 year old because his career might be a little shorter is pretty surreal. If teams knew that one QB would be elite for 8 years and retire or another QB would be merely good for 15 years, they would take the former over the latter every time.
Don't get me wrong - we love idiot options around here for their entertainment value. Please tell us more about your muscle mass QB theories.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong - we love idiot options around here for their entertainment value. Please tell us more about your muscle mass QB theories.
NAh that's fine. You've obviously turned into an asshole. No point talking with you

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Bo Nix could wind up being the best QB in this draft class. It close to impossible to know whether a draft prospect will be able to make the adjustment to the NFL or not. If teams did know that, the draft would be a lot easier.

But there are reasons why he is considered the 5th or 6th QB on the board despite having some incredible stats. His age and the style of offense that Oregon played are the 2 biggest issues with Nix.
I see your point, and while our view may differ, I don't disagree

The one thing I really question - why should pundits and draft boards be taken as the gospel ?

Who exactly are we talking about who ranks these players, and why are their opinions considered so valuable ??

I am not trying to be contrarian .. I just don't think online draft nix "draft boards" fall inline with A) accurate scouting and B) what the NFL teams have on their boards ...

I can remember a whole bunch of pundits glowing about how Christian Hackenberg is going to be the steal of the draft .. or how Baker Mayfield will be a total bust and never get a second contract ..... The example are endless

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point, and while our view may differ, I don't disagree

The one thing I really question - why should pundits and draft boards be taken as the gospel ?

Who exactly are we talking about who ranks these players, and why are their opinions considered so valuable ??

I am not trying to be contrarian .. I just don't think online draft nix "draft boards" fall inline with A) accurate scouting and B) what the NFL teams have on their boards ...

I can remember a whole bunch of pundits glowing about how Christian Hackenberg is going to be the steal of the draft .. or how Baker Mayfield will be a total bust and never get a second contract ..... The example are endless

The draft is a crap shoot. Which is why every misses on draft picks.

The draftNik's definitely influence teams. There are simply too many players for every team to exhaustively research.

Grading out the different QBs playing in different systems with different players and and different opponents is extremely difficult.

Caleb may be a complete bust and Rattler could be the best QB in the draft. All teams can do is make their best guess

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muscle mass or lack thereof is part of the Reason Nix had the second slowest throwing velocity at the combine, by almost 10 mph. That affects timing, route options, and time needed in the pocket. At his age his physical traits are likely closest to their peak, unlike McCarthy who are obviously younger (and throw with much greater velocity.)

Muscle mass and its affect on performance isn't drivel.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muscle mass or lack thereof is part of the Reason Nix had the second slowest throwing velocity at the combine, by almost 10 mph. That affects timing, route options, and time needed in the pocket. At his age his physical traits are likely closest to their peak, unlike McCarthy who are obviously younger (and throw with much greater velocity.)

Muscle mass and its affect on performance isn't drivel.
Of course, its drivel - anyone can be stretched out. What are your credentials for making that direct correlation anyway? In either case it not a hill of beans for judging who is a good QB. Judge on velocity along you get p. lynch.

By the way - since you have opined - the context it was presented was that Nix had maxed out his muscle mass - while the other QBs could still be trained up.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies to @flyerhawk for being rude to him. I've become a Bo Nix fan this season and I think he is perfect for the Bronco's offense under Payton. I don't treat visitors to this forum badly and I'm sorry it happened this time.

@flyerhawk is always welcome in the Bronco's forum.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies to @flyerhawk for being rude to him. I've become a Bo Nix fan this season and I think he is perfect for the Bronco's offense under Payton. I don't treat visitors to this forum badly and I'm sorry it happened this time.

@flyerhawk is always welcome in the Bronco's forum.

All good, Mingo. I honestly wasn't trying to trash on Nix. He was incredible this year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this comment is from a few months ago, DC, and I don't know if anyone responded but I would say the biggest issue with a 24 year old QB like Nix is that he has been playing college football for 6 years. This poses two challenges.

1. Physically he's pretty much the end product as is. He's not likely to build a lot of muscle mass going forward. Compare that to a Maye or McCarthy who are just 21 and likely to get bigger.
2. He's played a LOT of college football. This is good in the sense that he has a lot of competitive games under his belt but it could create an illusion of competence. What I mean is that he has a ton more experience than just about everyone else on the field. But there is a limit to the value of playing at the collegiate level. His mastery of college football does not mean that he is more prepared to be a top flight QB in the NFL.

Having said all that, it is entirely possible that he will an extremely good QB in the NFL. But that is why his age is a concern for teams looking to draft him.

Just want to point out that Nix has played 5 years not 6. (I know more common now then before with the covid and NIL stuff) but again, the age isn't concerning at all to me. Developing over time is a great thing. Really, the reality comes down to two things. A. Development over time B. The tools in the shed.

Of course age plays some factor but in this case, no factor to me. QB's are like K's their peak lasts longer. Hard to say this early how long any QB's peak is going to last. Sure, you may lose a year or two with him but a good QB is a good QB.. If you think he can be great for you now as hard as it is to find a great QB you take the QB and not worry about when he is 37 and 38 years old.

Agree that Nix is the 5th or 6th best QB in this draft. Age or no age. He is going to be the 5th or 6th QB drafted this year.

Last edited:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. Weinke is also considered one of the worst 1st round picks of the past 15 years. Although his issue was that he started football so late.

How could that be when he was selected in Round 4 and 21 years ago??? Did I miss his son getting drafted in the past 15 years in Round 1? ;)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also at flyer, I appreciate your responses/comments. I asked the question so was hoping for someone to take the other angle over the age concern. Good to see both points of views. Good discussion over the age factor. It is a topic worth debating.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That you think that teams would avoid drafting a 24 year old because his career might be a little shorter is pretty surreal. If teams knew that one QB would be elite for 8 years and retire or another QB would be merely good for 15 years, they would take the former over the latter every time.
That is the problem. If Nix was a top QB and was elite then there would be no issue but do you take a development QB with a lower ceiling who is 24? Most teams would not especially in the 1st. I don't hate Nix and I don't love him personally. He just doesn't do anything special. He is an accurate QB that can make plays on the run and scramble but no special traits imo

• Bullseye
Reactions: LGM

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to point out that Nix has played 5 years not 6. (I know more common now then before with the covid and NIL stuff) but again, the age isn't concerning at all to me. Developing over time is a great thing. Really, the reality comes down to two things. A. Development over time B. The tools in the shed.

Of course age plays some factor but in this case, no factor to me. QB's are like K's their peak lasts longer. Hard to say this early how long any QB's peak is going to last. Sure, you may lose a year or two with him but a good QB is a good QB.. If you think he can be great for you now as hard as it is to find a great QB you take the QB and not worry about when he is 37 and 38 years old.

Agree that Nix is the 5th or 6th best QB in this draft. Age or no age. He is going to be the 5th or 6th QB drafted this year.

I don't know how much the age factor actually plays into any of the teams draft considerations. I don't believe any of them would care about career length. It is possible that they may seem him as more of a finished product though.

A lot of pundits kinda reflect that thinking with their "high floor/low ceiling" projections for Nix.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the problem. If Nix was a top QB and was elite then there would be no issue but do you take a development QB with a lower ceiling who is 24? Most teams would not especially in the 1st. I don't hate Nix and I don't love him personally. He just doesn't do anything special. He is an accurate QB that can make plays on the run and scramble but no special traits imo

This is true if you believe his ceiling is low. I get that.

I am just saying if you REALLY love him his age isn't going to be a big factor. If you only like him then yeah...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My biggest concern is more about the style of offense he played at Oregon.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true if you believe his ceiling is low. I get that.

I am just saying if you REALLY love him his age isn't going to be a big factor. If you only like him then yeah...

Well if you REALLY love any player, you aren't going to worry about the concerns.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could change before draft day (haha!) but my current ranking of QB's for the Broncos to draft:
  • Michael Penix - stay at 12 and draft him. Trading back is risky with the Raiders at #13. Great upside, IMO.
  • Bo Nix - stay at 12 or trade back and draft him. I think he's a fairly safe bet.
  • Go BPA at 12. Fill a big hole with great talent. DL, Edge, CB, OL preferred.
  • JJ McCarthy - likely would have to move up and sacrifice more draft capital. I'm not a fan of this move. Let the Vikings have him.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you REALLY love any player, you aren't going to worry about the concerns.

Depends.

You can love a player and worry about his character concerns.

You aren't likely to love a QB who you see as your long tern answer but not draft him because he might not play a year or two more then the QB you like less.