• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Lions HC

Next Lions HC?

• Lovie Smith (just get him a decent OC and were set)

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Rex Ryan (see Lovie)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Mark Dantonio (maybe he can help our corners)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bill O'Brien (only the Lions in worse shape than PSU)

• John Gruden (did he throw his name in the hat last night)

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Cowher (rumor is he will only take the Giants job but I put him here anyways)

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Ken Wisenhunt (Calvin would love him)

• Mike Zimmer (he'd make our D a top 3 unit)

• Jay Gruden (if pops won't unretire it's plan B)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't be angry if they interviewed without any intent to hire you?

It's happened and yes it pissed me off but white guys will be interviewed that they don't intend to hire either. It's better to get the interview and get your name and face out there than not.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it insults me as a football fan. Anytime you treat someone differently, you're insinuating they are different. Difference is the opposite of same, or equal. The Rooney rule insinuates that the only type of people on Earth are white people, and black people. They're basically saying "Look, we talked to this black guy for 5 minutes now STFU and let us hire the guy we want to hire." And the worst part is blacks go "Ok." It's really petty, obvious and has nothing at all to do with sports. In a nutshell, it's organized lying to pacify an entire race. It's a game I don't believe in at all.

They were being treated differnetly BEFORE!! Now they are getting at least a chance to sit down with GMs and Presidents. It's a benefit to the minority even if he's not hired. And lets make sure that's understood. The Rooney Rule is for all minorities because all minories tend to get fucked when a Good Ole' Boys network gets entrenched. And if all it takes to satisfy this rule is sitting down with some black dude and talking fucking football for 5 minutes then just do it. Thier time isn't that god damn precious! Even more so if the minority being "pursued" thinks he has no shot at the job, it is America, he can decline. He would be a fool but he can decline.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda like going to church, The GM and the Rooney Rule Coach to be interviewed both don't want to be there. Kinda of a waste of time on both parties, then you include hotel and limo cost etc etc then the rule becomes a fininacial burden and waste of time.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its racism just like affirmative action, it is basically affirmative action. You give the job to the best possible candidate. As soon as you make rules favoring a certain race it is being implied that that race is different and it becomes racism. Rooney rule is the handicapped parking of the football world. Handicap spots are an advantage given to people with some sort of disability. Do blacks have a disability, because the rooney rule makes me think they do. Its everywhere unfortunately. As soon as people can see each other as humans instead of black or white, gay or straight, male or female, old or young, poor or rich this charade will continue and the media just perpetuates it.

And this unfortunately sums up the majority of white people's understanding of Affirmative Action. AA does not in any way shape or form get a black person a job over a more qualified white candidate. It is there to guard against the LESS QUALIFIED WHITE PERSON getting the job over the more qualified black person. So, you did have it kind of right, the job should go to the best possible candidate. And yes we should all just see each other as humans but unfortunately most of us don't even when we believe that we do and until we actually do, not just ostrich up and act like we're there, we need rules like this.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Whisenhunt get a shot but if they were to pluck a college coach I'd like to see Urban Meyer.

It would be really hard to root for a team that Urban Meyer coached.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't just interview a minority... Hire one! Lovie, please come save the Lions!

There are plenty of minorities that should be interviewed. And a few white dudes too. Lovie is one hire I'd be real happy with.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were being treated differnetly BEFORE!! Now they are getting at least a chance to sit down with GMs and Prices. esidents. It's a benefit to the minority even if he's not hired. And lets make sure that's understood. The Rooney Rule is for all minorities because all minories tend to get fucked when a Good Ole' Boys network gets entrenched. And if all it takes to satisfy this rule is sitting down with some black dude and talking fucking football for 5 minutes then just do it. Thier time isn't that god damn precious! Even more so if the minority being "pursued" thinks he has no shot at the job, it is America, he can decline. He would be a fool but he can decline.

To give someone an interview simply because of their race is wrong. It's really no different than not interviewing because of their race. Race shouldn't be a factor.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the conversation yet, Mike Tice may be shopping his resume. Jack del Rio has been mentioned as a previous HC that could be considered by teams looking for experience. Plus, all of the other HC's that were given walking papers this week would at least fit that minimum requirement. After the Andy Reid experience this year an immediate transition with no hiatus may be considered by a number of coaches.

It will be interesting to see the rumor's fly. Even more entertaining when the Lions name a new HC, and the board divides along "He's great - He sucks" lines.

None of the guys that got axed have nearly as much success as Andy Reid.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To give someone an interview simply because of their race is wrong. It's really no different than not interviewing because of their race. Race shouldn't be a factor.

Race is almost always a factor. It's unfortuante but true. One day maybe/hopefully it won't be. Today is not that day!!!

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda like going to church, The GM and the Rooney Rule Coach to be interviewed both don't want to be there. Kinda of a waste of time on both parties, then you include hotel and limo cost etc etc then the rule becomes a fininacial burden and waste of time.

I would bet the vast majority of candidates, black, white, whatever, don't feel the interview is a waste of time. I would also bet that most of these minorities brought in are at least people the teams would consider hiring with the right interview, unless of course they just have no interest in hiring a minority.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet the vast majority of candidates, black, white, whatever, don't feel the interview is a waste of time. I would also bet that most of these minorities brought in are at least people the teams would consider hiring with the right interview, unless of course they just have no interest in hiring a minority.

It becomes a burden if the host "The Lions" have to foot the cost of the bill is all I'm saying.......When the Lions bring in FAs I'm guessing that's on the Lions tab not the FA.....I would assume bringing in a Rooney Rule candidate would be the same.....If im wrong please let me know.

If not, then the Rooney Rule cost teams money which would be wrong.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Race is almost always a factor. It's unfortuante but true. One day maybe/hopefully it won't be. Today is not that day!!!

In some instances you might be right. BBut in the NFL teams care about winning. They are go ingto hire and interview those they think gives them that best chance. I ddon't see any NFL sacrificing wins and money to avoid hiring a minority. there may have been a time when the rule would have been more useful to get some good coaches recognized but with the information teams have today they know who theseguys are, they know wwhat they have done. To interview someone you have 0 intention of hhiring is dumb. IIt's a waste of time for both parties. I'm certainly not saying black coaches shouldn't be given a chance. But that chance should be based on what they've earned, not because they were born a certain color.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It becomes a burden if the host "The Lions" have to foot the cost of the bill is all I'm saying.......When the Lions bring in FAs I'm guessing that's on the Lions tab not the FA.....I would assume bringing in a Rooney Rule candidate would be the same.....If im wrong please let me know.

If not, then the Rooney Rule cost teams money which would be wrong.

How often do you see a team interview one or two candidates? Usually it's 4 or 5 and if one less white guy that's not going to get the job is interviewed instead of a Rooney guy then it's not costing them any more money unless I'm missing something and black people get charged more for flights and hotels.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rooney Rule is fine. It's not forcing anyone to hire a guy. There is no quota it's just making sure a minority gets a chance in a white dominated position.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In some instances you might be right. BBut in the NFL teams care about winning. They are go ingto hire and interview those they think gives them that best chance. I ddon't see any NFL sacrificing wins and money to avoid hiring a minority. there may have been a time when the rule would have been more useful to get some good coaches recognized but with the information teams have today they know who theseguys are, they know wwhat they have done. To interview someone you have 0 intention of hhiring is dumb. IIt's a waste of time for both parties. I'm certainly not saying black coaches shouldn't be given a chance. But that chance should be based on what they've earned, not because they were born a certain color.

Again, they are simply interviewing. They are not being given a job. If black coaches were promised HC gigs I could understand why everyone whines about this rule. But they aren't. They get an interview. And if owners, GM, didn't care then this rule would have never been put in place. If people are starting to get the feeling that it's time to get rid of this rule we are probably a decade or 2 from actually being in a place where we don't need this rule.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions are expressing interest in Tom Cable? I hope not.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often do you see a team interview one or two candidates? Usually it's 4 or 5 and if one less white guy that's not going to get the job is interviewed instead of a Rooney guy then it's not costing them any more money unless I'm missing something and black people get charged more for flights and hotels.

Doesn't matter who the Lions bring in, It cost the team for everyone they bring in,. When a Rule is put in place that they have to interview a minority then you just added a cost to the team....

I don't think any company in the world would be happy taking on a cost that the Govt or in this case the NFL said you had to occur.

Simple shit, Don't force stuff on the people......It's Fords Team...He owns it! Who has the right to tell him he has to spend money on anything. He could just close the doors and there would 31 teams in the NFL next year.

Am I missing something? When you own something someone can tell you how to operate it? Why own anything if someone else is going to tell you how to run it.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Jim Caldwell who is currently the OC for the Ravens is of some interest....I don't really like any of these candidates so far.