• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My take on the impending 2018 free agency of Paul George and Demarcus Cousins

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are. They're getting him for free in 12 months time. So why offer more?

Is there a slight chance that a playoff team can make a trade for PG and offer him a reasonable extension that pays him???

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope you are joking.

Randle, pick 28 and a bad contract for George?

Randle is the price to get rid of Mozgov. The contract is that bad. Randle +2 is a fair price for George. Not one I would want to pay, but they are not getting him for much less.

To me, it just depends on how broken things are in Indy. If PG-13 is dead set on leaving and wants to be a Laker as bad as people keep saying, then Indy may go ahead and do Shaqdaddy's deal just to get something for him, rather than go through a season of him being unhappy just to lose him for nothing.

Having said that, I think that Shaqdaddy's deal should be whee the Lakers start negotiations, but they will likely have to offer something better to get it done. Either by adding a 2nd young guy, or offering the #2 instead of the #28.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a slight chance that a playoff team can make a trade for PG and offer him a reasonable extension that pays him???

There is, but according to many league sources, he's hellbent on going to the Lakers. If that's true, any team he goes to runs the risk of just getting him as a 1 year rental. If the Pacers trade him anywhere but to the Lakers, that team will likely want a sign and trade to avoid that.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are. They're getting him for free in 12 months time. So why offer more?

There is no guarantee George is going to the Lakers as a free agent. He will be 28 going on 29 and he clearly values winning so the Lakers IMO really need to show this upcoming season that they're not several players away from being a contender. I think he wants to start playing basketball into late May/June again. It has not happened since 2014.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter. The Cavs/Warriors are SO FAR ahead of the rest of the league, a change here or there minus the Spurs getting CP3, means nothing essentially.

For the Cavs/Warriors to go down it would take a stacked team. The only team with a realistic chance of being stacked enough with one more key piece added in the Spurs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is, but according to many league sources, he's hellbent on going to the Lakers. If that's true, any team he goes to runs the risk of just getting him as a 1 year rental. If the Pacers trade him anywhere but to the Lakers, that team will likely want a sign and trade to avoid that.

I quoted the wrong post. Oh well.

If the starting offer were Randle and pick 28? Fine.

But adding in a bad contract on top? That is such an insulting offer the Pacers might be like GTFO. Mozgov + pick 28 probably equals out as negative on the value scale.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@trojanfan12 I would definitely take Randle and the #2 for George, but anything short of that I'd just role the dice and just take my cap space if he leaves.

Ah come on man, Take the number 28th pick instead, with Randle, and we will thrown in Mitch, and Jim Buss to replace Larry Bird. You can't beat that. :lol:

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter. The Cavs/Warriors are SO FAR ahead of the rest of the league, a change here or there minus the Spurs getting CP3, means nothing essentially.

For the Cavs/Warriors to go down it would take a stacked team. The only team with a realistic chance of being stacked enough with one more key piece added in the Spurs.

The Celtics are 2 or 3 years away, unless they pick up Butler or George, then it's a real possibility they contend next season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I quoted the wrong post. Oh well.

If the starting offer were Randle and pick 28? Fine.

But adding in a bad contract on top? That is such an insulting offer the Pacers might be like GTFO. Mozgov + pick 28 probably equals out as negative on the value scale.

I agree. I like Randle and the 28 as a starting point and if the Pacers agree, you jump on that. I think the only way to dump the Mozgov or Deng contract is if it's for the #2 pick and a player.

Interestingly, Magic has said that Ingram is the only guy he won't consider trading. That could lead to some interesting discussions and rumors over the summer.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroder and Howard damn near fought during a game in March because Howard wouldn't try to play within the offense.
Basketball is a lot more than one player getting stats. Howard is a damn offense killer, he is poison.

Do you have sources or did you just make this up?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Millsap leaves and The team becomes Howard's, it will lose big time.

Well they were 44-38 this season. What's the point of paying a boatload to Millsap to produce the same results?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is terrible for the motion offense. It's not about rebound rate or blocks anymore. If a player can't integrate into the flow of an offense, he's a net negative. You can't force feed a player in a motion offense, the ball has to go to the open spot. When The Hawks won 37 straight, or whatever it was 2 years ago it was 100% moving the ball through all 5 players till the best shot came open.

Well maybe it's the offense that needs to adapt. 44-38 suggests it didn't.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks are Howard's 3rd straight failure. They'll have to eat the bulk of the 2 years left on his contract if they have any shot at unloading him.

Therefore you shouldn't be having a hissy fit about Howard having two years left on his deal as if it were four. Would you rather be saddled with Drummond's contract? Or are you just sucking up the hype, mostly generated by Laker fans, that was made for exaggerated hatred of Howard?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it just depends on how broken things are in Indy. If PG-13 is dead set on leaving and wants to be a Laker as bad as people keep saying, then Indy may go ahead and do Shaqdaddy's deal just to get something for him, rather than go through a season of him being unhappy just to lose him for nothing.

Having said that, I think that Shaqdaddy's deal should be whee the Lakers start negotiations, but they will likely have to offer something better to get it done. Either by adding a 2nd young guy, or offering the #2 instead of the #28.

To trade just for the sake of getting something back would not be too smart on the Pacers part. Randle would solve our PF woes but he's not on George's level if they were dealt straight up. If George leaves, the Pacers would likely have to rebuild anyway. Simply adding Randle to a 42-40 team solves nothing. Better off just taking the cap space.

Throw in the #2 pick with Randle then we'll talk.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To trade just for the sake of getting something back would not be too smart on the Pacers part. Randle would solve our PF woes but he's not on George's level if they were dealt straight up. If George leaves, the Pacers would likely have to rebuild anyway. Simply adding Randle to a 42-40 team solves nothing. Better off just taking the cap space.

Throw in the #2 pick with Randle then we'll talk.

Oh yeah, I agree that Randle and the #28 wouldn't be enough. I think that if your the Lakers though, that's where you possibly start the negotiation. If nothing else, just to see the Pacers reaction. If they laugh and hang up the phone, you know the asking price is going to be a lot more. If they take the time to actually think about it, then you know you may not have to give up as much to get him.

If I'm the Lakers, my first offer (knowing the Pacers will say no) is Randle for PG-13...straight up. If the Pacers agree, I try to get everything done before they sober up and realize what they've done. lol

My 2nd offer would be Randle and the #28. If they say yes...awesome. If not...

I would probably offer Randle/Russell and the #28. If they still say no...then it comes down to how badly the Lakers want to keep the #2, which of course depends on how strongly they feel that Lonzo (or whoever they get) is going to develop into a star.

I kind of go back and forth on whether or not to ever include the #2 pick. On the one hand, PG-13 is a star player and would be a huge get for the Lakers. On the other hand, with a little patience, they may not have to give up anything to get him.

It's probably good that I'm not negotiating for the Lakers because I'm such a PG-13 fanboy, I'd probably be willing to give up a lot more than might actually be necessary just to get him. lol

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I agree that Randle and the #28 wouldn't be enough. I think that if your the Lakers though, that's where you possibly start the negotiation. If nothing else, just to see the Pacers reaction. If they laugh and hang up the phone, you know the asking price is going to be a lot more. If they take the time to actually think about it, then you know you may not have to give up as much to get him.

If I'm the Lakers, my first offer (knowing the Pacers will say no) is Randle for PG-13...straight up. If the Pacers agree, I try to get everything done before they sober up and realize what they've done. lol

My 2nd offer would be Randle and the #28. If they say yes...awesome. If not...

I would probably offer Randle/Russell and the #28. If they still say no...then it comes down to how badly the Lakers want to keep the #2, which of course depends on how strongly they feel that Lonzo (or whoever they get) is going to develop into a star.

I kind of go back and forth on whether or not to ever include the #2 pick. On the one hand, PG-13 is a star player and would be a huge get for the Lakers. On the other hand, with a little patience, they may not have to give up anything to get him.

It's probably good that I'm not negotiating for the Lakers because I'm such a PG-13 fanboy, I'd probably be willing to give up a lot more than might actually be necessary just to get him. lol

I see your point, but from the Pacers perspective - If you trade George for Randle and scrubs, your 42-win team become about a 35-win team and further into NBA purgatory. Like I've said, if George is moved one way or another, the Pacers are going to have to rebuild regardless. Might as well do it with cap space as opposed to the money that Randle is going to command in the final year of his rookie contract. The money would be worth it, however, if the #2 pick is added to the deal. We'd then use the pick on Tatum to replace George at SF and keep both Ball and his dad as far away from the hoosier basketball scene as possible.

We'll probably end up seeing who the Pacers are able to acquire this summer and go from there.

All in all though, if I was an upcoming free agent of significance - namely Griffin, Hayward, Gallinari, Millsap, and George - I would think about either heading east or staying east. LeBron is going to be 33 next season and as a pedestrian 51-win team this season, the Cavs could be beatable in the coming years.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point, but from the Pacers perspective - If you trade George for Randle and scrubs, your 42-win team become about a 35-win team and further into NBA purgatory. Like I've said, if George is moved one way or another, the Pacers are going to have to rebuild regardless. Might as well do it with cap space as opposed to the money that Randle is going to command in the final year of his rookie contract. The money would be worth it, however, if the #2 pick is added to the deal. We'd then use the pick on Tatum to replace George at SF and keep both Ball and his dad as far away from the hoosier basketball scene as possible.

We'll probably end up seeing who the Pacers are able to acquire this summer and go from there.

All in all though, if I was an upcoming free agent of significance - namely Griffin, Hayward, Gallinari, Millsap, and George - I would think about either heading east or staying east. LeBron is going to be 33 next season and as a pedestrian 51-win team this season, the Cavs could be beatable in the coming years.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I think for the Pacers it's about whether they want to go for a total rebuild or try to add to what they have. Imo, they should try to add at least 1 other top FA. If they can, then maybe they perform well enough next year to entice PG-13 to stay.

If they can't, then they should try to trade him while they can get something for him. Unfortunately, they wouldn't be dealing from a position of strength at that point, but they should still be able to get some quality for him.

Whatever happens, it should be an interesting off-season.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see George being another Carmelo. The biggest problem Carmelo had when he went to New York was that the Knicks had to trade almost all of the assets that made him want to go there in the first place to get him. The Lakers won't have to do that because they have the option of just waiting until he becomes a free agent.

This is going to be an interesting off-season. Whether or not they try to make moves to entice George to stay will be determined in large measure by how confident they are that they can make those moves and how badly George wants out.

If they think they can get him to stay, then I think you will see them working hard in FA to grab another piece or 2. Based on the fact that the Cavs most competitive series was in the 1st round vs. your Pacers they may be only 1 or 2 guys away from being a threat.

If they don't think they have a good shot at keeping him, then I expect they will be in some serious talks with the Lakers to try and work out a deal so they don't lose him for nothing. Personally, I'd be willing to give up the #2 pick and any young guy (maybe even 2) not named Brandon Ingram for George. But I am also an admitted Paul George fanboy, so others may not be willing to give up as much.
The only thing about waiting for PG to be a free agent is Boston makes a move in hopes of adapting him to their culture and honestly with Paul George they take a huge step forward that might be enough for George to stay. Either way - They can try to keep players from signing with the Lakers all they want, but as the Lakers get better, the attraction is going to be there and some one is going to sign. I am more anxious though in seeing what Zubac becomes as a legit center and how Randle plays since working out in the gym. This with Ingram and Russell could be fun to watch

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2 and Randle is just too much. #28 and Randle is more acceptable if they're willing to take Deng or Mosgov as part of the deal too, to make the salaries match.
Randle has been working hard in the gym and may be on the point of becoming a legit starter - that's still too much - I say the #2 pick or Russell and Clarkson, but no Ingram, or Randle.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wrong