• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My take on the impending 2018 free agency of Paul George and Demarcus Cousins

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First let's talk about Cousins, the guy that was actually traded. Sacramento Kings general manager Vlade Divac took a lot of criticism for the trade of Cousins at this year's deadline. But if you look at this trade in full depth, this was actually a good deal for them. While Divac was at the butt of several Kobe Bryant jokes in late February (the guy Vlade was once traded for on draft night), and I don't know how much longer he will remain the GM in Sacramento, the Boogie-for Buddy and picks trade is a one move he got 100 percent right. Though any remaining Kings fans are bound to be frustrated since the trade essentially put an end to any short-term hopes of snapping the team's lengthy playoff drought, it gave the organization a realistic opportunity to keep their 2017 first round pick. Had the Kings missed the playoffs with Cousins and had their pick fall out of the top ten, it would have gone to the Bulls. Sacramento had traded the pick to Cleveland back in 2011 for J.J. Hickson, and they later flipped it to Chicago for Luol Deng.

Buddy Hield at the time of the trade had been having a solid, albeit unspectacular, rookie season for the Pels. Even though the trade was lopsided on paper, this was not a riskless move for New Orleans. If Cousins fails to pan out down there, they risk losing not one but two All-Star caliber players in free agency down to line, along with Anthony Davis. Had DeMarcus stayed in Sacramento, he would have been due for a contract upwards of $200 million, the going rate for franchise players in the most recent NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, and to win around 35 games every year. Is Cousins really worth that? No, not really. At least this trade gives them hope for better days ahead.

upload_2017-5-21_16-11-48.png

Now onto Paul George of my Indiana Pacers, and I’m sure you 50-year-old wannabe frat-boys thought of me at the trade deadline when it was first rumored that a George-to-Lakers trade was a possibility. The Pacers have several issues to address within the organization, so Paul George has every right to keep all his options open with one year left on his contract. First and foremost, Nate McMillan has been worse than anyone could have ever imagined. This game has passed him by. His frontcourt rotations especially have been atrocious, as well as his inconsistencies of how he used Monta Ellis in games.

Ellis obviously has not aged well, and it is not completely out of the question that his skill set may have become obsolete in the modern NBA given his lack of three-point range. Watching him play though, the ability is still there. Coach McMillan is just as bad as Vogel, but at least Vogel could coach a little defense even though he arrived in Orlando just in time to help his GM get fired. The high point during the regular season for the Pacers came during a seven-game winning streak after which the team stood 29-22. Even at that point, no one in their right mind believed this team was a contender of any significance. And sure enough, they proceeded to lose 18 of their next 26 games.

All that being said, George is not the exception to these organizational issues of the Pacers. He had a rather inconsistent 2016-17 season in himself, and there’s a reason he did not make an All-NBA team this year. At times he looked like Danny Granger 2.0, settling for jumper after jumper and rarely getting to the free throw line. Committing $200-plus million to Granger 2.0 would be awful, but the way I see it - He's closer to being worth the money the Cousins, and George was sensational down the stretch in helping us get into the playoffs and avoid a major choke job. At least for the time being (Game 3 against the Cavs was a whole different story altogether).

If George wants to be the next Carmelo Anthony and think the big market is going to bail him out, then good riddance. To me, the most telling sign that our management is prepared for the possibility of George signing with the Lakers in 2018 was when they signed his buddy Stephenson at such a peculiar juncture of the season.

Unlike George, Jeff Teague and Myles Turner are good examples of two of our players that have consistently played their hearts out even if they haven't always gotten results. I would rather see those guys go down fighting than clog up our payroll with a bunch of garbage, overhyped, Laker prospects in a trade for George. The only current Lakers player that I would have even remote interest in acquiring would be Julius Randle, and there's no chance they move him even if they think they have a slight chance of landing George in free agency. Swallowing the Lakers contract of Jordan Clarkson would be beyond retarded, for lack of a better word.

Ultimately, the message I would like to send to my fellow Pacers fans as well as anyone who works within the Pacers organization is that we need to be able to embrace the challenge of building a team for next year and prevent George from going to the Lakers. George isn't the only Pacers star to have expressed interest in the Lakers. Exactly ten years ago, Jermaine O'Neal did as well.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Danny Ferry was stupidly fired The Hawks let both Teague and Horford walk as FAs with zero return.
If you can't get a player to sign a new contract before the in-season trading deadline, trade him for what return you can get. Management could have gotten very good return for both players, they wanted to move Horford but the owner vetoed the decision.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Danny Ferry was stupidly fired The Hawks let both Teague and Horford walk as FAs with zero return.
If you can't get a player to sign a new contract before the in-season trading deadline, trade him for what return you can get. Management could have gotten very good return for both players, they wanted to move Horford but the owner vetoed the decision.

You also have to consider the fact that had Atlanta needed to hand the keys to Dennis Schroder, and any potential return for Teague/Horford may have hindered Schroder's developent. Maybe draft picks would have helped, but Jordan Clarkson does nothing for the Pacers since we already have two mediocre SG options in Ellis and Stephenson.

Cap space is the best possible asset for teams like this.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Team President Kevin Pritchard's press conference...If you turn the video to the 5:00 he says that in every scenario in his end-of-season interview with Paul George that he has talked about being in Indiana. In other words, I see this saga dragging on until the summer of 2018. It shouldn't be viewed as a slam-dunk for the Lakers.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to consider the fact that had Atlanta needed to hand the keys to Dennis Schroder, and any potential return for Teague/Horford may have hindered Schroder's developent. Maybe draft picks would have helped, but Jordan Clarkson does nothing for the Pacers since we already have two mediocre SG options in Ellis and Stephenson.

Cap space is the best possible asset for teams like this.

Whatever The team got back for Horford and/or Teague wouldn't have had anything to do with Schroder's situation. Either SFs SGs or draft picks, anything but a front line PG really.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If George wants to be the next Carmelo Anthony and think the big market is going to bail him out, then good riddance. To me, the most telling sign that our management is prepared for the possibility of George signing with the Lakers in 2018 was when they signed his buddy Stephenson at such a peculiar juncture of the season.

I don't see George being another Carmelo. The biggest problem Carmelo had when he went to New York was that the Knicks had to trade almost all of the assets that made him want to go there in the first place to get him. The Lakers won't have to do that because they have the option of just waiting until he becomes a free agent.

Ultimately, the message I would like to send to my fellow Pacers fans as well as anyone who works within the Pacers organization is that we need to be able to embrace the challenge of building a team for next year and prevent George from going to the Lakers. George isn't the only Pacers star to have expressed interest in the Lakers. Exactly ten years ago, Jermaine O'Neal did as well.

This is going to be an interesting off-season. Whether or not they try to make moves to entice George to stay will be determined in large measure by how confident they are that they can make those moves and how badly George wants out.

If they think they can get him to stay, then I think you will see them working hard in FA to grab another piece or 2. Based on the fact that the Cavs most competitive series was in the 1st round vs. your Pacers they may be only 1 or 2 guys away from being a threat.

If they don't think they have a good shot at keeping him, then I expect they will be in some serious talks with the Lakers to try and work out a deal so they don't lose him for nothing. Personally, I'd be willing to give up the #2 pick and any young guy (maybe even 2) not named Brandon Ingram for George. But I am also an admitted Paul George fanboy, so others may not be willing to give up as much.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever The team got back for Horford and/or Teague wouldn't have had anything to do with Schroder's situation. Either SFs SGs or draft picks, anything but a front line PG really.

Well the draft pick you guys got in the Teague trade turned into Taurean Prince. Atlanta played it just right with Teague/Horford. They took their cap space, didn't take on any empty contracts, and Prince looks like he'll be a solid pro. It remains to be seen if it was the right move to use that cap space on Howard. But, after stalled progress with the previous core, it was time to roll the dice.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see George being another Carmelo. The biggest problem Carmelo had when he went to New York was that the Knicks had to trade almost all of the assets that made him want to go there in the first place to get him. The Lakers won't have to do that because they have the option of just waiting until he becomes a free agent.

Well, let's not pretend Denver has litten it up since the trade. They've been stuck in NBA purgatory themselves, even though they've been shown the light at the end of the tunnel this season. The reason the Knicks are consistently mediocre isn't because of the assets they gave up for Carmelo. It's because Carmelo isn't as good as the media hyped him to be at the time, and they had designated him to be their franchise player.

Do you honestly think that had the Knicks would have kept Chandler and Gallo along with Carmelo that they would have been a legit contender? Doubtful, primarily because they all play the same natural position. All in all, if you're expecting George as the franchise player that will instantly propel you into title contention, you're in for a big disappointment. Look no further than the Pacers' 2016-17 season for proof.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@trojanfan12 I would definitely take Randle and the #2 for George, but anything short of that I'd just role the dice and just take my cap space if he leaves.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the draft pick you guys got in the Teague trade turned into Taurean Prince. Atlanta played it just right with Teague/Horford. They took their cap space, didn't take on any empty contracts, and Prince looks like he'll be a solid pro. It remains to be seen if it was the right move to use that cap space on Howard. But, after stalled progress with the previous core, it was time to roll the dice.

Howard was a brain dead signing. He might be the least suited center in the league to The Hawks/San Antonio motion offense. You need shooters and passers at every position, he can't do either.
I always ask if a player can be a contributor to a championship team, if he can't be, what's the fucking point ? Howard is a dead end in every way.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard was a brain dead signing. He might be the least suited center in the league to The Hawks/San Antonio motion offense. You need shooters and passers at every position, he can't do either.
I always ask if a player can be a contributor to a championship team, if he can't be, what's the fucking point ? Howard is a dead end in every way.

He can protect the rim though, and he's beaten LeBron once in the playoffs before. He also posted the highest rebounding rate in any season of his career last year.

The one major downside is that he and Millsap rarely had big games at the same time. And if he's not being force-fed on offense, he can be a non-factor at that end of the floor at times.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@trojanfan12 I would definitely take Randle and the #2 for George, but anything short of that I'd just role the dice and just take my cap space if he leaves.

Randle AND the #2? That ship sailed a long time ago. The Pacers should be lucky if the #2 alone was offered.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle AND the #2? That ship sailed a long time ago. The Pacers should be lucky if the #2 alone was offered.

The thing of it is that the Lakers are not expecting to do any more than develop their players and they are most likely paralyzed until they figure out how to get rid of Mozgov and Deng without depleting their young talent. The only thing left is to develop these young players. The Pacers aren't going to get better any way, so they might as well trade the dude - and we will see if he is still interested in another year

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can protect the rim though, and he's beaten LeBron once in the playoffs before. He also posted the highest rebounding rate in any season of his career last year.

The one major downside is that he and Millsap rarely had big games at the same time. And if he's not being force-fed on offense, he can be a non-factor at that end of the floor at times.

Yeah, he "beat" Lebron back in what, 2009??? That might as well have been another lifetime, has literally no bearing on where things stand, today

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he "beat" Lebron back in what, 2009??? That might as well have been another lifetime, has literally no bearing on where things stand, today

Howard was a completely different player then. His low post game forced the Cavs to sign Shaq (who later also went to the Cs) -- because they had trouble defending Howard. (even with Z) I'm not sure why Howard's low post game got worse (maybe his back?) -- but he has never been the same.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's not pretend Denver has litten it up since the trade. They've been stuck in NBA purgatory themselves, even though they've been shown the light at the end of the tunnel this season. The reason the Knicks are consistently mediocre isn't because of the assets they gave up for Carmelo. It's because Carmelo isn't as good as the media hyped him to be at the time, and they had designated him to be their franchise player.

Do you honestly think that had the Knicks would have kept Chandler and Gallo along with Carmelo that they would have been a legit contender? Doubtful, primarily because they all play the same natural position. All in all, if you're expecting George as the franchise player that will instantly propel you into title contention, you're in for a big disappointment. Look no further than the Pacers' 2016-17 season for proof.

No doubt Denver has lit it up. But, if you recall, they actually played much better after the Melo trade. I agree that Melo hasn't turned out to be the franchise player they and he thought he'd be. But they did have to give up a lot to get him and you know as well as I do, no matter how good a guy is, he ain't winning by himself. Part of the Knicks problem to, has been the FO and some horrible moves there.

I don't think keeping Chandler and Gallo would have made the Knicks a contender, but it would have made them better than they ended up being and they may have been able to attract another player who could get them there.

I don't expect George to be the guy to put the Lakers back into contention, but he can definitely be a big part of getting them there. It takes a minimum of 2 star players, preferably 3 star quality players for a team to truly be a contender. If they get him, then it's a matter of developing guys and maybe adding another player or 2 via FA or trade to get them back in contention.

Of course, it won't matter if the Pacers are successful in adding a couple of guys who are good enough to convince him to stay.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deal!! Now we just need for you and I to be in position within the Pacers and Lakers to make it happen. Lol.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deal!! Now we just need for you and I to be in position within the Pacers and Lakers to make it happen. Lol.

Or just wait an additional 12 months, let the kids gain even more experience, and get George in free agency.

No thanks, the team can keep the pick! The Lakers ranked 26th in team assists. A guy like Lonzo can change that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just wait an additional 12 months, let the kids gain even more experience, and get George in free agency.

No thanks, the team can keep the pick! The Lakers ranked 26th in team assists. A guy like Lonzo can change that.

I agree to a point. I have no problem waiting the 12 months. But I also wouldn't mind a trade as long as the Lakers don't give up too much.

Ideally, the deal would be the #28 and a young guy not named Ingram, but I'd be willing to give the #2. As I said though, I'm an admitted PG-13 fanboy, so I'd give up more for him than others might.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to a point. I have no problem waiting the 12 months. But I also wouldn't mind a trade as long as the Lakers don't give up too much.

Ideally, the deal would be the #28 and a young guy not named Ingram, but I'd be willing to give the #2. As I said though, I'm an admitted PG-13 fanboy, so I'd give up more for him than others might.

#2 and Randle is just too much. #28 and Randle is more acceptable if they're willing to take Deng or Mosgov as part of the deal too, to make the salaries match.