• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most overrated play in MLB history

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deciding the number of times that a player touches a base safely in a season shows his value to his team is no less of a made-up stat than WAR is.

Total bases is one of the best measures of isolating offensive contribution there is in my opinion, but what the fuck do I know.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
t2kbW3NWSpi8Qb3VvNhdd4gBZmW1MWRBOOtCVC2RNtk.gif

Hrbek should have picked him up and body slammed him just for shits and giggles. I don't mind the Braves at all and I rooted for them in a couple of World Series back then, but the highlight would be much more fun to watch.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to say Derek Jeter's catch on a pop up where he needlessly dove into the stands.

But I will say Carlton Fisk's homer in game 6 of the 1975 World Series.

What was so significant about that homer? All it did was force a game 7 that the Reds went on to win.

Only notable thing about it was Fisk waving his arms like a spaz down the first base line.

Deciding a World Series game with a walk off homer is overrated?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deciding a World Series game with a walk off homer is overrated?

Had it been a series winner, no, but since you know, the Red Sox lost the series in the next game, it's really only notable for Fisk waving his arms like a spaz.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My list:

Jeter diving into the stands for the pop up that any SS not as slow as a glacier would have been camped under at the rail for routine catch.

Jeter's backhanded flip at the 1B line that is so amazing little league players all over the country have been doing it since before Jeter ever heard of the NY Yankees

Every one of Jim Edmonds' diving/sliding catches.

Jeter ranging 3 feet to his right and having to turn and jump to uncork one of the weakest fucking throws I had seen since Ozzie Smith retired to nab a sloth running down the 1B line.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had it been a series winner, no, but since you know, the Red Sox lost the series in the next game, it's really only notable for Fisk waving his arms like a spaz.

It's a shame (for you) that you weren't alive to witness one of the most exciting 7 game WS. It was epic and Fisk's homer was yuge! Bernie Carbo's 3 run pinch hit bomb to tie it up in the 8th was just as good, minus the walk off factor.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My list:

Jeter diving into the stands for the pop up that any SS not as slow as a glacier would have been camped under at the rail for routine catch.

Jeter's backhanded flip at the 1B line that is so amazing little league players all over the country have been doing it since before Jeter ever heard of the NY Yankees

Every one of Jim Edmonds' diving/sliding catches.

Jeter ranging 3 feet to his right and having to turn and jump to uncork one of the weakest fucking throws I had seen since Ozzie Smith retired to nab a sloth running down the 1B line.

I'm sensing a theme here...

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ball Mays caught was estimated to be 420 ft from home plate.
I've seen many catches that impressed me more than that one.
Andruw played shallow because he had such great range, that would not have looked dramatic if he'd made the play. Andruw almost always got to where the ball was headed so far ahead of the ball he was in perfect throwing position, he wouldn't have had to spin like Willie did.

:wank:

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bah. Total fluke play that would have been rendered moot if Giambi simply slid.

Yep

Captain Jeter just wandering around and happened to get lucky

how often is the shortstop needing to be there, so close to the plate? Never

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep

Captain Jeter just wandering around and happened to get lucky

how often is the shortstop needing to be there, so close to the plate? Never

Honestly it's one of my favorite plays in MLB history. If was sort of like Larry Bird's steal of the inbound pass and instant feed to Johnson to win the 6th game of a playoff series against The Pistons, just a very uncommon thing to see.