• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Discuss the most overrated players in your favorite NFL team's history

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy Williams
Bradie James. God I hated Bradie James

Good calls. I assume you mean the WR - Roy W. A case could be made for the other as well.

I hate to say this name but I just never saw a dominant player - Russell Maryland. He was the first pick of the draft. Pretty good player- sure. Helped us win a lot of games.

Joey Galloway. I know he was injured the first game ever and then had to suffer through some bad QBs.

Deon Sanders- he was a lot better prior to Dallas. Still really good for us though.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez Bryant
Even in his good years, he was never as good as people were rating him.
They were rating him off his potential.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Neither were ever voted 1st or 2nd team all-pro at any point in their careers.

They were pretty close. Both were renowned as one of the best in the game at their positions.

And the all-pro' voting usually snubbed 3-4 players because most of the league was 4-3.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Johnson

That's about all I've got. Lions players aren't overrrated much. For good reason.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swan definitely a HOF'r based on those 4 SB winning teams. He was one of the first WRs to excite fans of all teams with his catches.

Having said that based on stats and his SB wins he was/is overrated.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And FWIW @beardown07 ... I'd LOVE to see Devin Hester's bust in Canton.

Hester is interesting, we never saw a player with his extreme talent as a returner and we almost certainly won't see another with the rule changes. He deserves to be in for sure, the guy put my team through hell on numerous occasions. Nobody seemed to ever figure him out until he got older. I think he will struggle to get in though since special teams are almost ignored completely when it comes to the HOF.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry didn't mean to come off as disagreeing.

Yes the majority of the time the HOF is more based on stats. Or else I don't think Jerome Bettis would have ever sniffed the HOF. But there are some anomalies that go against that theory. Players with subpar stats that didn't separate themselves from the rest of their peers. Joe Namath, Charlie Sanders, John Riggins, Dave Casper... Hell even Bob Hayes' stats aren't too glamorous. Better than Swann, but still nothing special in comparison to the rest.

Swann is definitely one of the weakest HOF selections. His HOF case is a tough one because he's got some of the same issues as a Gale Sayers or Priest Holmes or Terrell Davis in that he only started 96 games in his career. For someone like Dick Butkus, that would have been okay. There's no doubt that Swann is on the outer tier of the HOF, and there's a reason people like him and Eller took 14+ years to get inducted.

At some point the HOF voting committee needs to define what it takes because their is a massive log-jam of WRs that are all deserving of induction. And quite a few of those players have better stats than Swann.

Lettuce be real tea, the HOF is a popularity contest as much as anything else. When he retired, Cris Carter was #2 in career receptions and receiving TD's at the time, second only to Jerry Rice. Granted those #2 records ended up being surpassed by multiple other receivers after Carter's time. But he was still arguably the second best WR behind Jerry Rice during their era before the league become overly passing dominant, and he had the stats to back it up. Yet Carter had to wait 7 years to get inducted to the HOF. Honestly Carter's wait time alone makes the stink T.O. raised about waiting 2 years look like a total joke.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy Williams
Bradie James. God I hated Bradie James

The guy I hate most of all that was a Cowboy is Troy Hambrick. Because of him the Boys (or should I say bill parcells) kicked Emmitt to the curb. That son of a bitch had a few decent games but also had a 3.5 avg that year. Emmitt should have been a Cowboy 4 Life.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were pretty close. Both were renowned as one of the best in the game at their positions.

And the all-pro' voting usually snubbed 3-4 players because most of the league was 4-3.
Still not nearly as heralded as say Lamar Woodley, of whom benefitted immensely from those 2

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lettuce be real tea, the HOF is a popularity contest as much as anything else. When he retired, Cris Carter was #2 in career receptions and receiving TD's at the time, second only to Jerry Rice. Granted those #2 records ended up being surpassed by multiple other receivers after Carter's time. But he was still arguably the second best WR behind Jerry Rice during their era before the league become overly passing dominant, and he had the stats to back it up. Yet Carter had to wait 7 years to get inducted to the HOF. Honestly Carter's wait time alone makes the stink T.O. raised about waiting 2 years look like a total joke.
Carter's wait was an incredible injustice to the WR position. He was snubbed big time in both 2008 & 2009 when they chose Art Monk & Bob Hayes over him. It was more understandable in '10 when Jerry Rice, but still no credible reason why Monk & Hayes got the nod over him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good calls. I assume you mean the WR - Roy W. A case could be made for the other as well.

I hate to say this name but I just never saw a dominant player - Russell Maryland. He was the first pick of the draft. Pretty good player- sure. Helped us win a lot of games.

Joey Galloway. I know he was injured the first game ever and then had to suffer through some bad QBs.

Deon Sanders- he was a lot better prior to Dallas. Still really good for us though.
Nope, meant the safety. The WR sucked for us.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Peterson overrated? WTF are you smoking? Peterson is 12th all time with 12,276 rushing yards. Of the 11 players ahead of him on that list, his 4.8 ypc is better than 9 of them. That's a better ypc than Emmitt Smith (4.2), Walter Payton (4.4), Curtis Martin (4.0), Ladanian Tomlinson (4.3), Jerome Bettis (3.9), Eric Dickerson (4.4), Tony Dorsett (4.3), Marshall Faulk (4.3). Only Barry Sanders and Jim Brown have a better ypc. With a 1,000 yard season, Peterson will move up to 8th on the all time rushing list.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hester is interesting, we never saw a player with his extreme talent as a returner and we almost certainly won't see another with the rule changes. He deserves to be in for sure, the guy put my team through hell on numerous occasions. Nobody seemed to ever figure him out until he got older. I think he will struggle to get in though since special teams are almost ignored completely when it comes to the HOF.
I think Brian Mitchell is in the conversation as well......

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter's wait was an incredible injustice to the WR position. He was snubbed big time in both 2008 & 2009 when they chose Art Monk & Bob Hayes over him. It was more understandable in '10 when Jerry Rice, but still no credible reason why Monk & Hayes got the nod over him.

I don't know, I think Hayes deserved it as much as anybody, he literally changed the game.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be brutally honest about players in our team's history that we think were among the most overrated, whether it be specifically by the fan base itself or among fans in general.

1. Adrian Peterson - between his suspension in 2014 and a few injuries, Adrian Peterson had 7 very good/great seasons. His last truly exceptional season was in his 2012 MVP season. He did get a rushing title as recently as 2015, but if you look closely at the weekly stats of that season, you'll see that he fell off about midway through that year after compiling some silly high rushing stats to start the season off. He was always very one-dimensional as an RB, and was only very useful running out of the I-formation - couldn't run out of the shotgun, and couldn't be relied upon as a pass blocker or receiving threat. In a lot of ways, he held his team back over the years just as much as he carried them. Don't get me wrong, he was a generational physical talent and had some amazing seasons, but I wouldn't even necessarily take him as a top 10 all-time RB. Meanwhile, there are Vikings fans who call him top 5 or even 3 GOAT who will get rustled if you question that ranking for him. For much of his career, you would expect 0-2 yard gains on the vast majority of his runs, then he'd pump his stats up with a few 20 yarders and a 60-80 yard dagger.

2. Daunte Culpepper - I think a lot of people, especially non-Vikings fans, forget just how bad this guy was most of the time. He only ever had 3 legitimately quality seasons, and he proceeded to flop as soon as the Vikings traded Randy Moss in 2005. He then blew out his knee several games into that season, and never came close to recapturing his old form again. That injury didn't help matters, but I think it gets a lot more of the blame for his lack of success after the fact than it should. Plus he was a turnover machine, 149 TD passes/106 INT, 34 rushing TD's to 102 fumbles. That's 183 scores to 208 turnovers total. Not exactly the stats of someone you'd think of even as a "good" player overall.

How many threads you gonna start about AD being overrated? You're an idiot!

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For much of his career, you would expect 0-2 yard gains on the vast majority of his runs, then he'd pump his stats up with a few 20 yarders and a 60-80 yard dagger.

Hey look, you just described Barry Sanders!

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the Vikings hater didn't mention Randy Moss!

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos:

Brandon Marshall
Jay Cutler
Pretty much every RB post TD
Demaryius Thomas

Falcons:

Deangelo Hall
Michael Vick
Julio Jones(great WRs catch touchdowns)
Matt Ryan(good QB, but sports talk here thinks he's a HOFer, he ain't)