• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Discuss the most overrated players in your favorite NFL team's history

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You "question whether I'm really a Vikings fan" because I think of Adrian Peterson as a top ~10'sh GOAT RB instead of top 3 or whatever you think he is? Lol @ at that time you called me an "immature kid" awhile back when you say childish bs like that.

As for your continued insults, I'm not bothered by the fact that you do it. I'm just saying that I don't understand why you take this so personally. I'm not even THAT hard on Peterson... again, I have always acknowledged that he's an all-time great, just that I don't rank him quite as high as someone like yourself does. You prove my point about Vikings/AP homers who overrate him when you respond by throwing tempter tantrums rather than having reasonable discussions with a willingness to respectfully disagree with those who don't share the exact same opinion as yourself.

Oh and Fran Tarkenton is much more overrated than AD!

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and Fran Tarkenton is much more overrated than AD!

As for your post right before this one, I recall making a total of 2 Adrian Peterson specific threads. The one on the Vikings board was the one I made about saying it was time to release him. I was pretty respectful about him and towards you in that thread, and you were the first to respond to the thread, wasting no time to get personal and overdramatic about it. For the sake of reference, here is that thread. It's time... cut Adrian Peterson.. The other Vikings board Adrian Peterson specific threads were actually YOURS. Here's the one you started when you got defensive about me questioning your opinion that AP is top 5 all-time RB. Adrian Peterson. You also made one about when he went to New Orleans, which was fine. I did start a thread about AP on the NFL general as well. Something about whether or not a new team would pick him up, and when if so for the upcoming 2018 season. Your claim that I'm the on who is obsessed with the guy is pure projection. As for your Tarkenton being more overrated than AP assertion, I'll again prove you wrong with facts and logic over emotional bs.

Tarkenton played in the 60's and 70's during an era in which the league was much less passer friendly. Played 18 years, 3,686 completions, 47,003 yards, 57.0 comp %, 342 TDs/266 INTs, 3,674 rushing yards, 32 rushing TDs, 5.4 Yards avg. rushing, 84 fumbles. For comparison's sake, Green Bay legend Bart Starr of roughly the same era had 16 years, 1,808 completions, 57.4 comp %, 24,718 yards, 152 TD's/138 INT's, 1,308 rushing yards, 15 rushing TD's, 5.3 rush yards average, 64 fumbles. Adrian Peterson so far - played in an era that was more friendly to passing than rushing (equals out with Tarkenton playing in a rushing friendly era), 11 years, 12,276 rushing yards, 4.8 yards per rush average, 99 rush TD's, 42 fumbles, 252 receptions, 2,015 receiving yards, 5 receiving TD's. You can't look at those stats in an objective manner and claim that AP is a top 5 GOAT overall RB while implying that Fran Tarkenton was some overrated bum.

Again, my arguments are backed up by facts. Yours are based on emotionally driven temper tantrums with no regard for objective reality, even to the point of projecting your own issues onto me with your baseless insults.

Last edited:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for your post right before this one, I recall making a total of 2 Adrian Peterson specific threads. The one on the Vikings board was the one I made about saying it was time to release him. I was pretty respectful about him and towards you in that thread, and you were the first to respond to the thread, wasting no time to get personal and overdramatic about it. For the sake of reference, here is that thread. It's time... cut Adrian Peterson.. The other Vikings board Adrian Peterson specific threads were actually YOURS. Here's the one you started when you got defensive about me questioning your opinion that AP is top 5 all-time RB. Adrian Peterson. You also made one about when he went to New Orleans, which was fine. I did start a thread about AP on the NFL general as well. Something about whether or not a new team would pick him up, and when if so for the upcoming 2018 season. Your claim that I'm the on who is obsessed with the guy is pure projection. As for your Tarkenton being more overrated than AP assertion, I'll again prove you wrong with facts and logic over emotional bs.

Tarkenton played in the 60's and 70's during an era in which the league was much less passer friendly. Played 18 years, 3,686 completions, 47,003 yards, 57.0 comp %, 342 TDs/266 INTs, 3,674 rushing yards, 32 rushing TDs, 5.4 Yards avg. rushing, 84 fumbles. For comparison's sake, Green Bay legend Bart Starr of roughly the same era had 16 years, 1,808 completions, 57.4 comp %, 24,718 yards, 152 TD's/138 INT's, 1,308 rushing yards, 15 rushing TD's, 5.3 rush yards average, 64 fumbles. Adrian Peterson so far - played in an era that was more friendly to passing than rushing (equals out with Tarkenton playing in a rushing friendly era), 11 years, 12,276 rushing yards, 4.8 yards per rush average, 99 rush TD's, 42 fumbles, 252 receptions, 2,015 receiving yards, 5 receiving TD's. You can't look at those stats in an objective manner and claim that AP is a top 5 GOAT overall RB while implying that Fran Tarkenton was some overrated bum.

Again, my arguments are backed up by facts. Yours are based on emotionally driven temper tantrums with no regard for objective reality, even to the point of projecting your own issues onto me with your baseless insults.

Your arguments are backed by facts, lolzzzz what a clown.

You left out a little something in your Tarkenton vs Starr comparison, gosh, I wonder why...

Starr - 5 Championships
Playoff numbers - 61% comp - 15 td's - 3 int's

Tark - 0 Championships
Playoff numbers - 51% comp - 11 td's - 17 int's

You can't only use regular season stats to determine greatness, by your logic Pete Rose is the best hitter of all time and Emmitt Smith is the best running back of all time.

Me starting those threads was simply because I couldn't believe a "Vikings Fan" was creating a thread just to rip on one of the best players in Vikings history and now here you are doing it again.

Emotionally driven temper tantrums? Calling you a moron isn't an indication of a temper tantrum, it's pretty much just logical thinking.

I do think AD is top 5 all time and it's likely I always will, what he did off the field was pretty shitty no doubt but it's not my job to judge him for that.

If you look at who most people would say are the top backs in league history, none of them were hugely successful in the passing game.

Walter Payton - 2.67 receptions per start
Jim Brown - 2.22 receptions per start
Barry Sanders - 2.33 receptions per start
Eric Dickerson - 2.07 receptions per start
Earl Campbell - 1.19 receptions per start
O.J. Simpson - 1.57 receptions per start
Adrian Peterson - 2.05 receptions per start

I have to admit I am not sure about Jim Brown but aside from Sweetness none of these other guys were great blockers either.

Yet AD can't be top five because you said so.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your arguments are backed by facts, lolzzzz what a clown.

You left out a little something in your Tarkenton vs Starr comparison, gosh, I wonder why...

Starr - 5 Championships
Playoff numbers - 61% comp - 15 td's - 3 int's

Tark - 0 Championships
Playoff numbers - 51% comp - 11 td's - 17 int's

You can't only use regular season stats to determine greatness, by your logic Pete Rose is the best hitter of all time and Emmitt Smith is the best running back of all time.

Me starting those threads was simply because I couldn't believe a "Vikings Fan" was creating a thread just to rip on one of the best players in Vikings history and now here you are doing it again.

Emotionally driven temper tantrums? Calling you a moron isn't an indication of a temper tantrum, it's pretty much just logical thinking.

I do think AD is top 5 all time and it's likely I always will, what he did off the field was pretty shitty no doubt but it's not my job to judge him for that.

If you look at who most people would say are the top backs in league history, none of them were hugely successful in the passing game.

Walter Payton - 2.67 receptions per start
Jim Brown - 2.22 receptions per start
Barry Sanders - 2.33 receptions per start
Eric Dickerson - 2.07 receptions per start
Earl Campbell - 1.19 receptions per start
O.J. Simpson - 1.57 receptions per start
Adrian Peterson - 2.05 receptions per start

I have to admit I am not sure about Jim Brown but aside from Sweetness none of these other guys were great blockers either.

Yet AD can't be top five because you said so.

Do you have an "off" switch? Or is the plethora of salt deep within you simply endless?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Gladieux, after being called out of the stands to the locker room, signs a contract to play in the 1970 season opener, then makes a tackle on the opening kickoff. Whoop dee doo! I mean, who couldn't do that? Geez!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hester is interesting, we never saw a player with his extreme talent as a returner and we almost certainly won't see another with the rule changes. He deserves to be in for sure, the guy put my team through hell on numerous occasions. Nobody seemed to ever figure him out until he got older. I think he will struggle to get in though since special teams are almost ignored completely when it comes to the HOF.

I don't know if he was necessarily "figured out", but I do think the Bears ruined him by trying to make him a WR, and the league went out of their way to ruin him, by changing the rules.

What he did was absolutely unprecedented in the game. I'm not sure any player ever has been as dominant at their respective position as Hester was at returner. I'm not sure there's ever been another player that struck fear in opponents like Hester. Every single player, coach, fan, hell, prolly non-fans stood at attention when teams were kicking to him. And due to that dominance and the subsequent rule-changes therefrom, it is almost all but guaranteed that lightning will never strike like that again.

I really think Hessy should be the one that bursts that HOF Special Teamer caveat, by being a first ballot HOFer.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite @SteelersPride getting all excited and acting as if I said Swan is a bum, I don't think he is, I know he was pretty good. I just feel that he has always been overrated even though he made some crazy acrobatic catches in playoff games for Pittsburgh.

If you look at the list of HOF WRs and their stats and consider the eras that they played in, to me there is only one guy that stands out as a "What is he doing here" player and that is Lynn Swan.

To be fair.....not disagreeing with you......
Terry Bradshaw is the MOST overrated in Steelers history.
He was mediocre at best, but he had the sure handed Stallworth and acrobatic Swann to throw to.
In a time where power offenses and punishing running backs ruled the NFL, Swann's flying catches where what changed the NFL. When rules began to change to favor the QBs to make the game more of the passing game it has become.
Stat wise, Swann shouldn't be in the HOF, but the catches he made saved Bradshaw, Pittsburgh, and recreated the passing game back in the day.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair.....not disagreeing with you......
Terry Bradshaw is the MOST overrated in Steelers history.
He was mediocre at best, but he had the sure handed Stallworth and acrobatic Swann to throw to.
In a time where power offenses and punishing running backs ruled the NFL, Swann's flying catches where what changed the NFL. When rules began to change to favor the QBs to make the game more of the passing game it has become.
Stat wise, Swann shouldn't be in the HOF, but the catches he made saved Bradshaw, Pittsburgh, and recreated the passing game back in the day.

Yeah, @ATL96Steeler mentioned Bradshaw earlier in the thread and I agree with him in the respect that Bradshaw might have been along for the ride in the first two SB wins, but he was a beast in the 3rd and 4th.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, @ATL96Steeler mentioned Bradshaw earlier in the thread and I agree with him in the respect that Bradshaw might have been along for the ride in the first two SB wins, but he was a beast in the 3rd and 4th.

But he was only a beast because of his receivers.....

If he could of actually hit a damn target, do you think Swann has to jump out of his shoes to make catches???? Do you think Swann gets the recognition he got???? IMO Bradshaw hits the target, Swann makes typical catches.....no notoriety, no ooooo's and ahhhhh's, and no Swann in the Hall.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he was only a beast because of his receivers.....

If he could of actually hit a damn target, do you think Swann has to jump out of his shoes to make catches???? Do you think Swann gets the recognition he got???? IMO Bradshaw hits the target, Swann makes typical catches.....no notoriety, no ooooo's and ahhhhh's, and no Swann in the Hall.

Bradshaw got pretty good as his career progressed. I hate to admit it because my brother conditioned me to hate them and him as much as I hated the Dolphins back then.

Funny thing is that hating the Fins was easy because of the natural division rivalry, but the only reason to despise the Steelers was because my older brother (he was an asshole) rooted for them since there was no real rivalry between NE and Pittsburgh in the early 70's.

Personally, I think the Steelers would have won those SBs without Swan, but no way without Bradshaw.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Overrated should imply most none team fans have at least an idea who they are. I dont recall any of those you've named, except maybe Phillips.

Most fans don't "rate" players to begin with, so they don't even mater in the discussion of who's rated too high or too low.