• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Discuss the most overrated players in your favorite NFL team's history

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynn Swann is very overrated, sure he had some nice catches in the playoffs but that alone shouldn't get you into the hall of fame.

If i was a Broncos fan I would of course mention John Elway or if I was a Jets fan Joe Namath! lolzzz

There have been a few Vikings fans that have posted and none of them that I seen mentioned the most overrated Viking by far. Fran Tarkenton...

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a player but Josh McDaniels.

Conniving little twerp that thought he was the second coming of Belichick, but was merely just another from the Belichick coaching tree that couldn't hack it without Brady.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overrated:
JJ Watt
JJ Watt
JJ Watt
JJ Watt
and JJ Watt

Honorable Mention:
Vince Young - While he never played for the Texans, the total fan and media meltdown of him not being drafted by Houston in 2006 was on an epic level scale. And for him to start off so hot and then become so insignificant so fast. Yet there are still Houston football fans to this day who refuse to cheer for the Texans simply because they didn't draft Vince Young in 2006.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overrated:
Injured JJ Watt
Injured JJ Watt
Injured JJ Watt
Injured JJ Watt
and Injured JJ Watt

Honorable Mention:
Vince Young - While he never played for the Texans, the total fan and media meltdown of him not being drafted by Houston in 2006 was on an epic level scale. And for him to start off so hot and then become so insignificant so fast. Yet there are still Houston football fans to this day who refuse to cheer for the Texans simply because they didn't draft Vince Young in 2006.

FIFY.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Still not nearly as heralded as say Lamar Woodley, of whom benefitted immensely from those 2

The guys getting sacks are always gonna get more publicity than nose tackles and DEs in a 3-4 keeping the OL off the LBs. But publicity =/= hype or projecting value. It was almost unanimous among non-clueless people that Hamilton & Aaron Smith were near the best in the game.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys getting sacks are always gonna get more publicity than nose tackles and DEs in a 3-4 keeping the OL off the LBs. But publicity =/= hype or projecting value. It was almost unanimous among non-clueless people that Hampton & Aaron Smith were near the best in the game.
FIFY

Well I think there must be a lot of clueless people because there are lots that don’t even know or remember who those people were.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Peterson overrated? WTF are you smoking? Peterson is 12th all time with 12,276 rushing yards. Of the 11 players ahead of him on that list, his 4.8 ypc is better than 9 of them. That's a better ypc than Emmitt Smith (4.2), Walter Payton (4.4), Curtis Martin (4.0), Ladanian Tomlinson (4.3), Jerome Bettis (3.9), Eric Dickerson (4.4), Tony Dorsett (4.3), Marshall Faulk (4.3). Only Barry Sanders and Jim Brown have a better ypc. With a 1,000 yard season, Peterson will move up to 8th on the all time rushing list.
Lol @ with a 1000 yard season.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
FIFY

Well I think there must be a lot of clueless people because there are lots that don’t even know or remember who those people were.

Not everyone remembers every great player who ever played. Kris Jenkins isn't really more known than either of those players, and he was the best in the NFL many years. There are tons of players like that; especially on defense. Julian Peterson. Patrick Kearney. Shaun Phillips. David Harris. Trevor Pryce. Sam Madison. I could go on...

Well known =/= overrated, and obscure =/= underrated. That's not how it works.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIFY

Hambone was the second greatest nose tackle the NFL will ever see!!!!

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone remembers every great player who ever played. Kris Jenkins isn't really more known than either of those players, and he was the best in the NFL many years. There are tons of players like that; especially on defense. Julian Peterson. Patrick Kearney. Shaun Phillips. David Harris. Trevor Pryce. Sam Madison. I could go on...

Overrated should imply most none team fans have at least an idea who they are. I dont recall any of those you've named, except maybe Phillips.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many threads you gonna start about AD being overrated? You're an idiot!

I called AP overrated in the sense that I don't think he's a top 5 RB, whereas a decent percentage of the Vikings fan base seems to think he is. That's not the same as saying he sucks, or even questioning his status as an NFL legend. I've always given AP credit where it was due at the same time as stating my criticisms of him. In response to that, you get defensive and call me names as if I disrespected your mother or something. That's not the only time you've been an ass to me for no real reason on here/the Vikings SportsHoopla sub. Meanwhile, I've consistently refrained from getting personal with you despite your childish bs. I don't understand why it's so difficult for you to be respectful just because someone doesn't agree with you 100% on everything.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I called AP overrated in the sense that I don't think he's a top 5 RB, whereas a decent percentage of the Vikings fan base seems to think he is. That's not the same as saying he sucks, or even questioning his status as an NFL legend. I've always given AP credit where it was due at the same time as stating my criticisms of him. In response to that, you get defensive and call me names as if I disrespected your mother or something. That's not the only time you've been an ass to me for no real reason on here/the Vikings SportsHoopla sub. Meanwhile, I've consistently refrained from getting personal with you despite your childish bs. I don't understand why it's so difficult for you to be respectful just because someone doesn't agree with you 100% on everything.
When you say not top 5. Are you talking all time or his playing time.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, i'll ask again, how many times are you going to post about AD being overrated, seriously makes me question whether you are really a Vikings fan!

AD is absolutely of the greatest players in Vikings history and you go out of your way to rip him in multiple threads and literally start threads about it, stop being a fucking moron and I won't have to keep calling you one!

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Peterson overrated? WTF are you smoking? Peterson is 12th all time with 12,276 rushing yards. Of the 11 players ahead of him on that list, his 4.8 ypc is better than 9 of them. That's a better ypc than Emmitt Smith (4.2), Walter Payton (4.4), Curtis Martin (4.0), Ladanian Tomlinson (4.3), Jerome Bettis (3.9), Eric Dickerson (4.4), Tony Dorsett (4.3), Marshall Faulk (4.3). Only Barry Sanders and Jim Brown have a better ypc. With a 1,000 yard season, Peterson will move up to 8th on the all time rushing list.

By all means, go ahead and ignore every point I made about AP besides his total rushing yards stats. Because the ONLY thing that defines the quality of an RB is their pure rushing abilities. Gotcha.

Legitimately lol'd at your comment about AP having another 1k yard season. As great of a rusher as Peterson was, those days are well behind him. If he can stay healthy for the full season, he could realistically have a chance to pass Marshall Falk, Jim Brown, and Tony Dorsett to make it to #9. I do believe he could have another 463+ yards in him to make that happen. But 983+ yards would require two more solid seasons (for his age) as a role player. He's well past the time when he was able to be a workhorse RB for a full season and strive for those 1k+ seasons. Even if they tried to use him that much, he'd be run into the ground and injured well before he sniffed 1k in a single season again. To think otherwise is to completely disregard the fact that he hasn't done anything for 3 years besides 2 good games with the Cardinals.... before he had his 3rd season ending injury.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could include Jenkins' brother...

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, i'll ask again, how many times are you going to post about AD being overrated, seriously makes me question whether you are really a Vikings fan!

AD is absolutely of the greatest players in Vikings history and you go out of your way to rip him in multiple threads and literally start threads about it, stop being a fucking moron and I won't have to keep calling you one!

You "question whether I'm really a Vikings fan" because I think of Adrian Peterson as a top ~10'sh GOAT RB instead of top 3 or whatever you think he is? Lol @ at that time you called me an "immature kid" awhile back when you say childish bs like that.

As for your continued insults, I'm not bothered by the fact that you do it. I'm just saying that I don't understand why you take this so personally. I'm not even THAT hard on Peterson... again, I have always acknowledged that he's an all-time great, just that I don't rank him quite as high as someone like yourself does. You prove my point about Vikings/AP homers who overrate him when you respond by throwing tempter tantrums rather than having reasonable discussions with a willingness to respectfully disagree with those who don't share the exact same opinion as yourself.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You "question whether I'm really a Vikings fan" because I think of Adrian Peterson as a top ~10'sh GOAT RB instead of top 3 or whatever you think he is? Lol @ at that time you called me an "immature kid" awhile back when you say childish bs like that.

As for your continued insults, I'm not bothered by the fact that you do it. I'm just saying that I don't understand why you take this so personally. I'm not even THAT hard on Peterson... again, I have always acknowledged that he's an all-time great, just that I don't rank him quite as high as someone like yourself does. You prove my point about Vikings/AP homers who overrate him when you respond by throwing tempter tantrums rather than having reasonable discussions with a willingness to respectfully disagree with those who don't share the exact same opinion as yourself.

Okay, one more time... How many times are you going to post about how overrated AD is? I didn't agree with you the first five times you posted this shit. What's the over/under on how long until you somehow post in another thread that AD is overrated? We get it already you don't think he was that good, move the fuck on!