• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Discuss the most overrated players in your favorite NFL team's history

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
both great lists...the only exception I might have would be Bell. Kid was a beast when he was healthy; he just never seemed to be healthy. I'd say more injury-prone than overrated.
IDK... Guess he just leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. He never lived up to his rookie season. But you're right, injuries cost him a lot. FWIW, I almost put Lamar Woodley on the list too lol. But at least he achieved a lot more & left a better mark. Bell, however, did very little in comparison.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Sharper... he got roasted more often than not when he was the last line of defense

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say Tony Eason because he was never considered that good.

How about......

Teddy Brushi?

I mean he played with heart, and deserved to be a fan favorite and he was a certainly a very good player but he wasn't THAT good.. so Overrated.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK... Guess he just leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. He never lived up to his rookie season. But you're right, injuries cost him a lot. FWIW, I almost put Lamar Woodley on the list too lol. But at least he achieved a lot more & left a better mark. Bell, however, did very little in comparison.
hey, I get what you're saying. After that rookie season, I thought for sure they had found the next great Steeler linebacker only to actually find 3 or 4 years of flashes of greatness with lots and lots of injuries in between.

oh, and I think the Woodley comparison is pretty good actually. yeah, he did a bit more for the team, but not too much more.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Johnson. Tremendous physical talent. No heart. If the game was on the line, he couldn't close the deal.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey, I get what you're saying. After that rookie season, I thought for sure they had found the next great Steeler linebacker only to actually find 3 or 4 years of flashes of greatness with lots and lots of injuries in between.

oh, and I think the Woodley comparison is pretty good actually. yeah, he did a bit more for the team, but not too much more.
Agreed. Both had the same injury issues. Woodley of course never lived up to the lofty contract PIT gave him. Once he cashed in he checked out. He showed up overweight to camp every year and his legs paid the price. It wasn't for a lack of effort that K-Bell couldn't stay on the field, which was a shame. In comparison I think K-Bell was a better athlete than Woodley too.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay Matthews. He could've been one of the all-time greats in the league if he ever learned how to keep edge contain, actually tackle anyone other than a stationary quarterback and cover a RB or TE in the flat once in a while.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think of an overrated Patriot player and it isn't easy.

I'll say Mike Vrabel for starters. He made some really big plays during his Pats career, but was otherwise meh.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? I'm not talking about draft busts, I'm talking about players whose playing abilities as pros in the NFL were generally looked upon very favorably. I can't remember anyone ever claiming Ryan Leaf was a quality player during his time in the NFL beyond hype about his potential when he was a rookie.
LOL.....you should have been living in SD. He was the second coming. The Chargers were such a mess that I think there was great hope that he would turn around a sinking ship. The press in SD was probably trying to hard to pump him up, but it was a wasted effort.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.....you should have been living in SD. He was the second coming. The Chargers were such a mess that I think there was great hope that he would turn around a sinking ship. The press in SD was probably trying to hard to pump him up, but it was a wasted effort.
Leaf is pretty universally regarded as one of the worst 2 or 3 draft picks of all time. I think he is properly rated.

I think if we're being honest, we need to do this question based on division rivals on not our own team. If I say something like 'Jamaal Charles was overrated' then someone might come back at me saying that no one really though too much of him.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Sharper... he got roasted more often than not when he was the last line of defense

Definitely. When he came here, he was a pure centerfielder on a solid defense, so he got a lot of picks. But he got beat plenty when it counted.

I'll never forget when Favre threw a sure pick in the end zone to Cedric Griffin, Sharper came over to try to steal the pick, collided with his teammate and the ball was tipped into the air and into the hands of a Packer WR for a TD. Selfish, dick of a player. I hated him before we all found out that he was a sick, rapist, fuck.

Steve Hutchinson was vastly overrated towards the end. He was great his first 2 years, good his 3rd year and ok in his 4th, his last 2 he was living off his name only and overall, he was better as a Seahawk (playing next to one of the greatest LTs of all time). HOF discussion on him is very questionable to me.

Chad Greenway was on the overrated side. Don't get me wrong, he was a solid contributor, but I don't know if he was ever the best LB on his own team outside of a couple years. Being a genuinely good guy (and he is from every interaction I've ever had with him) will make people think more favorably of someone.

Bryant McKinnie was supposed to be a sure fire, franchise LT. He had HOF talent, but never lived up to it because he was so fucking lazy and thought he was Dr. Dre. Every tweet he made always seemed to be about being in the recording studio. The one Pro Bowl he made, he no showed for because it was in Miami and he was out partying the night before. Jason Peters had to play that whole, meaningless game and he was pissed.

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Carney.

If it hadn't been for him, they might have actually had to draft better skilled players.

They knew he would kick a field goal and save the Chargers' half-assed offense from embarrassment every time they approached the Red Zone.

"He was a great kicker."

No. He was a prophylactic against drafting and training better players.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles Randall Cunningham... back when we had an all time great DLine and an All Time Worst OLine his wind up took 5 seconds. He could make the phenomenal play but not the basic. Those late 80s early 90s Eagles teams would have won SB's if the OLine was so horrific.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Derrick Smith MLB. Dude was a hot poop sandwich.

Maybe Jeff Garcia. The Lions & Browns showed how bad he really was. I would say Kaepernick, but people figured out how badly he sucked pretty quickly.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Calvin Johnson. Tremendous physical talent. No heart. If the game was on the line, he couldn't close the deal.

giphy.gif

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OVERRATED:
Kendrell Bell
Mike Wallace
Plaxico Burress
Kordell Stewart

UNDERRATED:
LC Greenwood
Cameron Heyward
Casey Hampton
Aaron Smith

Wait, u wat m8? People thought Kordell Stewart was good?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Both had the same injury issues. Woodley of course never lived up to the lofty contract PIT gave him. Once he cashed in he checked out. He showed up overweight to camp every year and his legs paid the price. It wasn't for a lack of effort that K-Bell couldn't stay on the field, which was a shame. In comparison I think K-Bell was a better athlete than Woodley too.
dont forget that @Rex Racer says lynn swan

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever heard of a guy named Lynn Swan?

Stallworth was the better of the two WRs, and my favorite of the era, but far too many big catches to call Swann over rated.

The Steeler I would call overrated would be Bradshaw.

He got 4 of the 6 rings, but the '74 & '75 SBs, he basically played the role of Brad Johnson as the Steel Curtain carried the team. He was more of a factor on the '78 & '79 SB teams, but he had Swann, Stallworth, Harris, and Webster...all HOFers around him, plus some other very good players that were not HOFers.