• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Discuss the most overrated players in your favorite NFL team's history

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stallworth was the better of the two WRs, and my favorite of the era, but far too many big catches to call Swann over rated.

The Steeler I would call overrated would be Bradshaw.

He got 4 of the 6 rings, but the '74 & '75 SBs, he basically played the role of Brad Johnson as the Steel Curtain carried the team. He was more of a factor on the '78 & '79 SB teams, but he had Swann, Stallworth, Harris, and Webster...all HOFers around him, plus some other very good players that were not HOFers.

Despite @SteelersPride getting all excited and acting as if I said Swan is a bum, I don't think he is, I know he was pretty good. I just feel that he has always been overrated even though he made some crazy acrobatic catches in playoff games for Pittsburgh.

If you look at the list of HOF WRs and their stats and consider the eras that they played in, to me there is only one guy that stands out as a "What is he doing here" player and that is Lynn Swan.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite @SteelersPride getting all excited and acting as if I said Swan is a bum, I don't think he is, I know he was pretty good. I just feel that he has always been overrated even though he made some crazy acrobatic catches in playoff games for Pittsburgh.

If you look at the list of HOF WRs and their stats and consider the eras that they played in, to me there is only one guy that stands out as a "What is he doing here" player and that is Lynn Swan.

I don't disagree with that, but you kinda eluded to why Swann is in with your comment in bold...FWIW, they both could climb the ladder and make those aerial catches for Bradshaw (he had a cannon, but not the most accurate QB) ...Stallworth did it more to keep drives going week in week out, Swann did it in a lot of big games and IIRC was the SB MVP.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with that, but you kinda eluded to why Swann is in with your comment in bold...FWIW, they both could climb the ladder and make those aerial catches for Bradshaw (he had a cannon, but not the most accurate QB) ...Stallworth did it more to keep drives going week in week out, Swann did it in a lot of big games and IIRC was the SB MVP.

To me he is in because he played on 4 SB winning teams. His stats otherwise do not make him worthy.

Is there anyone that played on all 4 of those 70's Steeler teams that didn't get into the HOF?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy Williams
Bradie James. God I hated Bradie James

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me he is in because he played on 4 SB winning teams. His stats otherwise do not make him worthy.

Is there anyone that played on all 4 of those 70's Steeler teams that didn't get into the HOF?

Not just because he played in/won 4 SBs...his play in those games and playoff games is what got him in. Yeah there are a few actually...the one that sticks out is LC Greenwood...he's not in.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hampton & Aaron Smith were near the tops of the all-pro' voting almost every year. Hard to call that underrated.
Neither were ever voted 1st or 2nd team all-pro at any point in their careers.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, u wat m8? People thought Kordell Stewart was good?
Guess it was more of a local thing. Some people in local Pittsburgh considered that guy to be some sort of prodigal son. He was an exciting player at a time when football was much more vanilla, but he was a very frustrating player during big games.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it was more of a local thing. Some people in local Pittsburgh considered that guy to be some sort of prodigal son. He was an exciting player at a time when football was much more vanilla, but he was a very frustrating player during big games.

It's cuz he was a two-player(and lover from what I understand, but I digress) People thought he was the next Deion Sanders en shit.

Those were low times when he came to the Bears.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And fwiw, I kind of agree with @Rex Racer. By definition, Swann could easily be considered overrated.
If all people care about are stats, then yea its a no brainer when you compare him to the rest of Canton. His stats are pathetic in comparison.

But the reason he is in the HOF is because he did what few players could. He carried an offense routinely on the biggest of stages.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all people care about are stats, then yea its a no brainer when you compare him to the rest of Canton. His stats are pathetic in comparison.

But the reason he is in the HOF is because he did what few players could. He carried an offense routinely on the biggest of stages.

Dude, he was awesome, I don't disagree at all, but the HOF is kinda based on stats, isn't it?

Even if not, it still kinda fits the definition of overrated, if everyone ELSE in there has the stats to back them, no?

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

16 playoff games: 48 907 18.9 9 TD's

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16 playoff games: 48 907 18.9 9 TD's

Dominant.

There have been many players that had incredible postseason success that shouldn't be in the HOF doe.

Hell, Joe Flacco has arguably the best postseason of all-time, and the mono-browed fuck ain't sniffing the Hall unless he vacations there.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, he was awesome, I don't disagree at all, but the HOF is kinda based on stats, isn't it?

Even if not, it still kinda fits the definition of overrated, if everyone ELSE in there has the stats to back them, no?
Sorry didn't mean to come off as disagreeing.

Yes the majority of the time the HOF is more based on stats. Or else I don't think Jerome Bettis would have ever sniffed the HOF. But there are some anomalies that go against that theory. Players with subpar stats that didn't separate themselves from the rest of their peers. Joe Namath, Charlie Sanders, John Riggins, Dave Casper... Hell even Bob Hayes' stats aren't too glamorous. Better than Swann, but still nothing special in comparison to the rest.

Swann is definitely one of the weakest HOF selections. His HOF case is a tough one because he's got some of the same issues as a Gale Sayers or Priest Holmes or Terrell Davis in that he only started 96 games in his career. For someone like Dick Butkus, that would have been okay. There's no doubt that Swann is on the outer tier of the HOF, and there's a reason people like him and Eller took 14+ years to get inducted.

At some point the HOF voting committee needs to define what it takes because their is a massive log-jam of WRs that are all deserving of induction. And quite a few of those players have better stats than Swann.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry didn't mean to come off as disagreeing.

Yes the majority of the time the HOF is more based on stats. Or else I don't think Jerome Bettis would have ever sniffed the HOF. But there are some anomalies that go against that theory. Players with subpar stats that didn't separate themselves from the rest of their peers. Joe Namath, Charlie Sanders, John Riggins, Dave Casper... Hell even Bob Hayes' stats aren't too glamorous. Better than Swann, but still nothing special in comparison to the rest.

Swann is definitely one of the weakest HOF selections. His HOF case is a tough one because he's got some of the same issues as a Gale Sayers or Priest Holmes or Terrell Davis in that he only started 96 games in his career. For someone like Dick Butkus, that would have been okay. There's no doubt that Swann is on the outer tier of the HOF, and there's a reason people like him and Eller took 14+ years to get inducted.

At some point the HOF voting committee needs to define what it takes because their is a massive log-jam of WRs that are all deserving of induction. And quite a few of those players have better stats than Swann.

I hope their next break from theory, is Devin Hester. 1st ballot-er IMO.

I have zero problems with Swann being in the HOF, particularly considering how long it took.

But for the sake of THIS discussion, I don't think Rex is that far off-base.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Seymour, DE, Patriots & Raiders

I remember the local fans bitchin and moaning about Belichick holding fast on Seymour's contract demands and wondering why.

He was pretty good, but never dominant, his sack totals were not all that great for a DE of his size and speed and his tackle/assist stats were mediocre at best.

I was not bummed that they cast him off to Oakland he did nothing there to show me or the Patriots that we were wrong.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope their next break from theory, is Devin Hester. 1st ballot-er IMO.

I have zero problems with Swann being in the HOF, particularly considering how long it took.

But for the sake of THIS discussion, I don't think Rex is that far off-base.
True. Players like Isaac Bruce, Cliff Branch, Derrick Mason, etc all deserve the nod. Even John Taylor. I'd have zero problems with any of those guys being inducted.

Tough thing for WRs is that raw numbers rarely offer enough to help properly distinguish between the rest, especially across eras. Nobody can seem to agree on how best to correct biases in the data. There is just too much to consider. In this sport an individual player's stats are often contaminated by the strengths & weaknesses of his teammates, coaches & countless other considerations. Wide receivers are also a direct product of their eras.

In the 70's the passing game was weak at best. It wasn't until 78 did that passing game really flourish in the NFL. But during those lesser years in the 70's Swann was a 4 catch a game, 15 yards per touch type of player in an era where that was very rare. What makes his stats more glamorous is that they weren't a product of targets. The Steelers offense during that era was a heavy run offense, averaging >70% of their offensive plays. Take 1976 for example, which is widely considered to be the best Steelers team during that era, the Steelers only threw the ball 277 times that season. That roughly HALF of what the league average is now.