• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jets Trade Up to 3rd Overall Pick

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many problems with this post.

1. There's nothing that says the Browns won't draft a QB and sit him behind Taylor for a year. Even the Browns aren't stupid enough to think Taylor is a franchise QB.

2. Mayfield is not a reach at #1. He's going to be a franchise QB. A good one. He's better than Allen & Darnold.

3. Are you trying to be funny by saying "Bradford?" Or was that an actual gaff?
Mayfield is the mist under rated QB of the 4 imo. I've got Mayfield top two

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz was a lot more highly regarded than any of these guys though. I just don't see any of them being elite or even really good. They've all got such big deficiencies and the Jets don't have the skill guys to hide those shortcomings
No he wasn't, most saw him as a project QB, with good size and strength who played against lesser talent.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any QB, no matter how good, will fail if he's not healthy. Rosen seems like his arm is fine, but if he has shoulder concerns, that is another matter.

I don't agree with that at all. I'm not the least bit concerned w/ Rosen's accuracy in any aspect of the game. If he struggled, it's because he plays for UCLA instead of USC (whose QBs always bust).

Rosen's the smartest QB of the bunch. Goes quickly through his progressions. That's what you need in an NFL QB.

Thats where I'm not sure you watched the games or followed the teams. SC had a lot of turnover last draft. Darnold was playing with what was almost a completely new Oline. The center had a bad habit of bad snaps. And they had to break in new WR's. Had no bye week and a lot of injuries on the line and offense. People may talk picks and fumbles. But don't realize how many were catchable balls off WR's hands. Or the amount of times Darnold had to adjust to snaps.Which effected both fumbles and the time he had to set properly. Also played a different system last season Tee changed the offense up. And he still found ways to win.

Rosen was only 3 picks behind Darnold with less games played. A lot of his numbers came in garbage time. he played a weaker schedule. The pick vs Memphis was awful. Threw across the field into coverage. With the game on the line and a wide open running lane. One of many examples.And he's fragile his durability is a major red flag. Small frame does not like being hit.Off the field issues may be a disaster in NY with his political agenda's.May be a fragile version of Kaep. Lacks the desire to play. Doesn't have the creativity,competitive fire or athletic ability of Darnold or Mayfield.

As far as SC/UCLA I think thats actually the opposite. Darnold catches more criticism because of expectations and the SC spotlight. While Rosens faults get played down because of less expectations.UCLA could have been a lot better if Rosen was more consistent. I think you see this in the future. Lastly has the potential to flourish in the NFL. Rosen has the highest potential to bust imo

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm convinced that Rosen kicked TheRobotDevil's dog at some point. Somehow I've watched enough futurama that all of his posts are said in the example of a song and dance.

Rosen's off the field stuff has me concerned but not his on the field play.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm convinced that Rosen kicked TheRobotDevil's dog at some point. Somehow I've watched enough futurama that all of his posts are said in the example of a song and dance.

Rosen's off the field stuff has me concerned but not his on the field play.
Not in the slightest. His on field play is why I was hoping he came back another season.Would have benefited USC next season.Also why I want to see him land with the Jets.Or preferably Denver where it benefits the Raiders.Not wanting to see Darnold or Mayfield in Denver. Don't need Elway flashbacks

fwiw I don't have a dog :dhd:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he wasn't, most saw him as a project QB, with good size and strength who played against lesser talent.
Wentz?? No way. The only question on him was coming from NDSU.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A month before the draft he was an early 2nd rounder until he shot up the boards.
I don't recall a single analyst calling him a project. He was a projected first round pick for months before the draft.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Mayfield is the mist under rated QB of the 4 imo. I've got Mayfield top two

Same here. He made huge strides since his rookie year, which shows that he works hard. Only thing that worries me about him is he has a really obvious, little-dog complex.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Thats where I'm not sure you watched the games or followed the teams. SC had a lot of turnover last draft. Darnold was playing with what was almost a completely new Oline.

USC w/ turnover is still 5 times better than UCLA from a talent perspective IMO.

Rosen was only 3 picks behind Darnold with less games played. A lot of his numbers came in garbage time. he played a weaker schedule. The pick vs Memphis was awful. Threw across the field into coverage. With the game on the line and a wide open running lane. One of many examples.And he's fragile his durability is a major red flag.

That's where you have a point. Durability is a question. But I think it's the only valid one because I'm not concerned about college stats. I'm concerned w/ how fast he goes through his progressions, his accuracy, his football intelligence, etc.

He's not a perfect prospect by any means. Your concerns are valid, but I think his good qualities more than make up for the concerns (except durability, and only time will tell on that one).

...He's also apparently kind of a douche bag, so there may be character concerns.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns draft whichever QB they want & snag whatever else player they want with the 4th. (Barkley, Chubb, whoever) The jets are taking a Qb for the same reason any team that trades up with the giants for the #2 spot would.
You dont give away a kings ransom of draft picks for any position other than the QB spot. Which is what it would take to get to #2.
& if the Giants stay at #2 I really dont see them skipping a QB. Eli is only a bridge gap now.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I think it is great. Colts says you want to move up 3 spots?
It will cost you a 2nd round per spot LOL.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC w/ turnover is still 5 times better than UCLA from a talent perspective IMO.

That's where you have a point. Durability is a question. But I think it's the only valid one because I'm not concerned about college stats. I'm concerned w/ how fast he goes through his progressions, his accuracy, his football intelligence, etc.

He's not a perfect prospect by any means. Your concerns are valid, but I think his good qualities more than make up for the concerns (except durability, and only time will tell on that one).

...He's also apparently kind of a douche bag, so there may be character concerns.
Thats where I think people are mistaken. USC was riddled with injuries all season. SC was minus their to two WRs at points. Their top TE played one full game being generous. Ronald Jones missed games at RB along with his back up Carr. And the Oline hit the point they had to scrap together third string freshman. That's just the offense. Last year was a worst case scenerio for a year without a bye week. If anything it makes what Darnold and SC were able to accomplish more impressive.

I do watch college football extensively.Especially PAC football. Talent levels were closer than you may have realized last season. SC actually over performed given the way their season went. By no means am I giving a guarantee on Darnold. At the moment I'm actually leaning Mayfield. But having watched Rosens career. Combined with the off the field. And major injury red flags. Add in the small frame and his resume. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if Rosen busts. Not a risk I would take

Last edited:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets being the Jets.

First smart move since letting Pay-A-Ton go.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. He made huge strides since his rookie year, which shows that he works hard. Only thing that worries me about him is he has a really obvious, little-dog complex.
But at the same time Mayfield seems to use that as motivation. He may have his moments where he says or does something. But he tends to elevate his play on the field. It works for him

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets gave up a ton to get that third pick. They must really have someone they like. Thought Bridgewater was their boy; I guess not.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall a single analyst calling him a project. He was a projected first round pick for months before the draft.
PFF wasn't so high on him:

Below is the PFF draft profile for North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz, which incorporates PFF’s college grades and scouting intel from our team of analysts. To see all of PFF’s 2016 scouting reports, click here.

Position fit: Starting QB

Stats to know: Finished with the ninth-overall grade in the draft class, but had the best raw grade per dropback. Accuracy percentage of 38.5 percent on deep (20+ yard) passes ranked 29th in the draft class. Accuracy percentage of 57.1 percent when pressured tied for 27th in the draft class.

What he does best:
• Arm stands out. Throws with great velocity
• Can fire the ball in there on the deep out/comeback. Made far-hash throws look easy at the college level
• Arm strength on comebacks and seam routes make him a prime candidate for a vertical passing system
• Did a nice job finding the open man and moving the chains in the 1-10 yard range, even if his timing was less than ideal at times
• Did a nice job as a designed runner and as a scrambler in college. Can pick up yards on the ground, but not sure how much his future team will want him to do so at the next level
• Throws with anticipation on first-read throws, can zip the curl route before the wide receiver’s break
• “Shows” touch, but it’s often a much slower throwing motion and his accuracy is hit or miss
• Ranked second in the draft class in adjusted completion percentage at the intermediate (11-20 yard) range at 70.7 percent
• Inexperience. Has his warts, but given how few snaps he’s played, ceiling remains high

Biggest concerns:
Slow to process in the passing game. Will be late on short and intermediate throws, but arm strength bails him out. Will this still work at the next level?
• Rarely got to a third read in his progression, even when running common, staple passing concepts. Their boot play had three options and Wentz would regularly miss the third receiver, even when the first two receivers were covered
• Inexperienced. Much of Wentz’s lure is the physical size and arm, but will he progress and maximize his potential?
Accuracy at 21-30 yard range was well below average, his adjusted completion percentage of 43.5 percent ranked 23rd in the draft class. For a big-armed quarterback, has to take advantage of throws in this range to maximize his potential
• Not always nimble maneuvering the pocket. Attempted only eight passes after breaking the pocket and completed one for negative-five yards

Bottom line: There’s a lot to like about Wentz, but still so many question marks. The size and big arm stand out, and it’s not just aesthetics – his velocity is an asset at the short and intermediate range at the next level. The concern is whether or not the big arm loses accuracy beyond 20 yards to be effective. He’ll flash some touch on the deep ball, but it’s far too inconsistent at this point. Wentz would fit well into a vertical passing offense that will allow him to zip throws into the 15-25 yard range while moving the ball in chunks. His lack of timing in the passing game is a major concern, but if he can iron it out, the upside is immense. Any team drafting Wentz is banking on huge improvement in a number of areas, but given his relative lack of experience, the gamble may just be worthwhile.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he definitely was. For example, here's a snip from his draft profile for ESPN (note the date):

View attachment 176187
A few of us on the Cowboys board was following him for the 2016 draft and before he climbed into the top half of the 1st we thought we could draft in in rd 2. No we weren't being homers thinking we could get a top 10 pick in rd 2, early mocks had him going after Dallas 2nd rd pick.
Biggest Risers, Fallers of the Early 2016 NFL Draft Process