• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Info on Stanton & Free Agency

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that’s right. I knew it was some generic name.

But with your article I don’t get how his net worth is only 1.1 billion when he is the majority owner when they purchased the majority for more than that. Like I said in my previous post, I guess I am too ignorant on financial stuff but it doesn’t add up to me.
Not my thing either.

What I understood from the article, and I could be so wrong about this, is that Stanton's company owns 90% of the Mariners and Stanton himself owns X amount of the company. Right? Wrong?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my thing either.

What I understood from the article, and I could be so wrong about this, is that Stanton's company owns 90% of the Mariners and Stanton himself owns X amount of the company. Right? Wrong?
First Avenue Entertainment LLLP was the corporate entity set up by Nintendo of America to control its ownership shares in the Seattle Mariners, following its purchase of the team in 1992.

In 2016, the ownership of the shares within the group was restructured, with 17 minority owners, led and represented by John Stanton, buying 90% of Nintendo's shares. This was a change of ownership, but it did not affect the name of the corporate entity under which the shares were owned. Besides Stanton, the other major name among shareholders is Chris Larson, a retired executive from Microsoft.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my thing either.

No I get that. This is again going to be ignorant as F but was explain by my attorney is that my net worth is a shit load more than I actually have so it just seems weird that a dude with a portfolio and the head of a corp (which honestly I didn’t know until your article) that owns multiple billion dollar valued company, his holdings in T-Mobile and whatever other stuff wealthy men like him have money invested in.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess don’t quote me. But he was a minority owner when Nintendo was the majority owner. Then however it exactly happened he got majority control which I think is just 51%. I’m not a financial person but to be majority owner doesn’t it have to be at least 51%? Cause if he doesn’t then wouldn’t the Mariners be run by a board of directors like the Packers? But no idea, cause it doesn’t seem possible that Stanton’s net worth is solely based off of his Mariners shares cause I would assume he still has financial stake in TMobile at least much like how Howard Schultz. Zuckerberg or Bezo’s aren’t the head of their respective companies anymore.

I know KJR hammers on the dude but for the life of me I can’t remember his name but there is a dude who has the second most shares/stake of the club which I interrupt as it is those two who have the most invested.
In laymen's terms; In most cases, unless otherwise indicated by some sort of weird rule, with most businesses whoever has the biggest share of the company is the majority owner. So technically it can be 50.0001% and they'd be majority owner. Technically, a group could purchase a 50.0001% stake in a company and be the majority owner. That group could be led by one majority owner within the group. Meaning that Stanton could technically own 50.001% of the group that has a majority stake in the Mariners. Thereby making him the "owner," despite his stake being a lot less than we think it could be.

I don't know if there are any public records that can really clarify how much of the Mariners he really owns. Not defending him by any means, but there's a strong possibility that this franchise is run by investors, not people who care about winning.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In laymen's terms; In most cases, unless otherwise indicated by some sort of weird rule, with most businesses whoever has the biggest share of the company is the majority owner. So technically it can be 50.0001% and they'd be majority owner. Technically, a group could purchase a 50.0001% stake in a company and be the majority owner. That group could be led by one majority owner within the group. Meaning that Stanton could technically own 50.001% of the group that has a majority stake in the Mariners. Thereby making him the "owner," despite his stake being a lot less than we think it could be.

I don't know if there are any public records that can really clarify how much of the Mariners he really owns. Not defending him by any means, but there's a strong possibility that this franchise is run by investors, not people who care about winning.
That is what I was trying to find. His company owns 90% of the Mariners, but how much does he own of his company? We know he must own at least what you said to be called the majority owner. I was just curious if it was more. I guess it doesn't really matter since he has final say.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya no clue. I highly suspected that there were a crap load of investors. But that actually makes it worse IMO. You can justify if Stanton’s net worth is barely above a billion to not spend a crap load. But you and I have spoken to death my theory of you have to spend money to make money. Which they indirectly acknowledge with purchasing Root Sports and a few bars (I don’t know if they purchased any of the restaurants) around the park.

It is proven in the minor leagues that the more people you get in the park the more money you make and the merchandise and vendors are a lot more expensive at a Major league level. Generate buzz, get a dad to want to take his kids to see an Ohtani or insert free agent and it forces the dad to shell out a minimum of $200. And that is where they make their real money, not the weekends, it is getting the family to go to a Tuesday night game so instead of 10k in the stands you get 30k IMO

It’s obviously their money and not mine but I just don’t get it that they intentionally cap themselves. No one is asking for them to make their budget $300 million, but asking for any 1 of big free agent the past few seasons. And it just infuriates me as a fan that they didn’t and now they have already put a future cap on themselves because in 2026 their budget is going to explode just from home grown guys. It just seems as a fan whenever they are “good” they are always 1 guy away and have plenty of opportunities. Correa, Semien, had Jerry not been a dick, Corey Seager. Put 1 of those guys on the team this year and they are a first place team and we are having a legitimate discussion about making a blockbuster trade to try to win the World Series. Right now, IMO, they are a big trade away from still being well behind the Orioles and Rays. Behind the Blue Jays. If the Astros get healthy they would still be behind them and if the Rangers spend the entire deadline on pitching well behind them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I was trying to find. His company owns 90% of the Mariners, but how much does he own of his company? We know he must own at least what you said to be called the majority owner. I was just curious if it was more. I guess it doesn't really matter since he has final say.
I just saw that article you posted, just read it and it said it was 17 people including Stanton. I think that he would have have a majority stake in the company that has the 90% stake in the Mariners, but we wouldn't know what the distribution of the equity stakes are. Not positive on any of this, but if he has the largest equity stake amongst those 17 people, he's considered the owner. 100/17 = 5.88%. So in theory, he could own 10% of that 90% stake, with the 16 others owning an average of 5.625%.

If something like that is the case, it makes a lot more sense why ownership doesn't want to open up their wallets.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya no clue. I highly suspected that there were a crap load of investors. But that actually makes it worse IMO. You can justify if Stanton’s net worth is barely above a billion to not spend a crap load. But you and I have spoken to death my theory of you have to spend money to make money. Which they indirectly acknowledge with purchasing Root Sports and a few bars (I don’t know if they purchased any of the restaurants) around the park.

It is proven in the minor leagues that the more people you get in the park the more money you make and the merchandise and vendors are a lot more expensive at a Major league level. Generate buzz, get a dad to want to take his kids to see an Ohtani or insert free agent and it forces the dad to shell out a minimum of $200. And that is where they make their real money, not the weekends, it is getting the family to go to a Tuesday night game so instead of 10k in the stands you get 30k IMO

It’s obviously their money and not mine but I just don’t get it that they intentionally cap themselves. No one is asking for them to make their budget $300 million, but asking for any 1 of big free agent the past few seasons. And it just infuriates me as a fan that they didn’t and now they have already put a future cap on themselves because in 2026 their budget is going to explode just from home grown guys. It just seems as a fan whenever they are “good” they are always 1 guy away and have plenty of opportunities. Correa, Semien, had Jerry not been a dick, Corey Seager. Put 1 of those guys on the team this year and they are a first place team and we are having a legitimate discussion about making a blockbuster trade to try to win the World Series. Right now, IMO, they are a big trade away from still being well behind the Orioles and Rays. Behind the Blue Jays. If the Astros get healthy they would still be behind them and if the Rangers spend the entire deadline on pitching well behind them.
The article that @NWinAZ sent indicates that it was Stanton and 16 other people who bought the 90% share in the company. If you read my other post, you can see there's a possibility that Stanton might have the largest equity stake amongst those 16 people, but that could be as low as 6% of the 90% stake in the team.

I've spent too much time trying to figure out the stakes in the business and am giving up. Secretary of state lists Baseball of America as the governor of First Avenue Entertainment LLLP. Baseball of America INC lists 9 people as governors, including John Stanton. Registered agent is Fairchild Record Search LTD. Fairchild Record Search lists someone I've never heard of before. They definitely went to lengths to protect their privacy lol.

Sadly after going through this exercise, it's now making more sense why we don't spend money. Getting an increase in payroll is probably such a futile exercise in bureaucratic bullshit that they probably don't even bother.

Completely agree with you on the rest. To add, the appreciation of professional sports franchises is more than enough to offset any lack of profit on an annualized basis. I don't know what the numbers looked like when Felix pitched, but back when he was with us, if I was going to go to a day game I'd prioritize a day when he's going to pitch. You'd have something similar with Ohtani.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw that article you posted, just read it and it said it was 17 people including Stanton. I think that he would have have a majority stake in the company that has the 90% stake in the Mariners, but we wouldn't know what the distribution of the equity stakes are. Not positive on any of this, but if he has the largest equity stake amongst those 17 people, he's considered the owner. 100/17 = 5.88%. So in theory, he could own 10% of that 90% stake, with the 16 others owning an average of 5.625%.

If something like that is the case, it makes a lot more sense why ownership doesn't want to open up their wallets.
Good info. I didn't think of it that way but it makes perfect sense and it makes perfect sense why they don't spend. 17 people over their collective heads instead of one big backer like most teams have. Nice work.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article that @NWinAZ sent indicates that it was Stanton and 16 other people who bought the 90% share in the company. If you read my other post, you can see there's a possibility that Stanton might have the largest equity stake amongst those 16 people, but that could be as low as 6% of the 90% stake in the team.

I've spent too much time trying to figure out the stakes in the business and am giving up. Secretary of state lists Baseball of America as the governor of First Avenue Entertainment LLLP. Baseball of America INC lists 9 people as governors, including John Stanton. Registered agent is Fairchild Record Search LTD. Fairchild Record Search lists someone I've never heard of before. They definitely went to lengths to protect their privacy lol.

Sadly after going through this exercise, it's now making more sense why we don't spend money. Getting an increase in payroll is probably such a futile exercise in bureaucratic bullshit that they probably don't even bother.

Completely agree with you on the rest. To add, the appreciation of professional sports franchises is more than enough to offset any lack of profit on an annualized basis. I don't know what the numbers looked like when Felix pitched, but back when he was with us, if I was going to go to a day game I'd prioritize a day when he's going to pitch. You'd have something similar with Ohtani.
I tried finding out as well for many hours and I am clueless on this stuff so it makes me feel better that someone like you couldn't track it down. You are leap years ahead of me on this financial stuff. Thanks for your hard work it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried finding out as well for many hours and I am clueless on this stuff so it makes me feel better that someone like you couldn't track it down. You are leap years ahead of me on this financial stuff. Thanks for your hard work it.
Lol kind of went down the click hole and started getting agitated I couldn't figure it out so figured I'd just give up.

Also I'd imagine that people with that kind of wealth are able to do a good job of keeping it private.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good info. I didn't think of it that way but it makes perfect sense and it makes perfect sense why they don't spend. 17 people over their collective heads instead of one big backer like most teams have. Nice work.
It actually makes me start to wonder how many professional sports franchises are structured. This could actually be a very common arrangement, especially given the fact that sports franchises are so valuable these days.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually makes me start to wonder how many professional sports franchises are structured. This could actually be a very common arrangement, especially given the fact that sports franchises are so valuable these days.
Maybe, but not sure about the big markets like Mets and Yankees. Dodgers ave several owners I believe. It does open my eyes though. I always assumed majority owners owned at least 51% shares but you proved that isn't necessarily the case at least with the M's.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the info you put out it seems like how the Sonics were Schultz. He was the “owner” but had several other investors/minority owners. Think it was Sonicgate that broke down the whole structure of it and how it made it very hard to get an arena deal done plus the whole sale he made with Bennett could’ve been shot down with 1 more no vote.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Ohtani might have just lost a lot money with a UCL tear. Should bring his price down for Stanton’s liking.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New starting point at 450mil?
No idea. I bet it will be closer to a NFL contract where it’s a ridiculous numbered contract but a crap load of incentives, kind of like how Julio’s deal actually is. The dude has already had one TJ and came back better but it is super hard cause we know for certain his floor is a HOF RF and how much did Judge just get and Ohtani is better.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea. I bet it will be closer to a NFL contract where it’s a ridiculous numbered contract but a crap load of incentives, kind of like how Julio’s deal actually is. The dude has already had one TJ and came back better but it is super hard cause we know for certain his floor is a HOF RF and how much did Judge just get and Ohtani is better.
Judge got a 9yr 360mil so starting point could be 9 or 10yrs at 400.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge got a 9yr 360mil so starting point could be 9 or 10yrs at 400.
Yeah but I’m saying the headlines are going to end up with Ohtani gets a 10 year 600 plus million dollar deal but I’m amusing it’s going to be the same deal Trout got but with pitching incentives that if met push it closer to a billion than 400 million. Much like how we were all excited that Julio signed an 18 year deal or whatever it was but it was an 8 year extension with some incentives then a collection of incentive laden club options. If Julio isn’t a star, he won’t be on the Mariners by 30.

With this UCL injury I am nearly 100% positive now it is only going to come down to the Dodgers and Mariners. We just saw the other team that is in the “running” the Giants medical staff fail a physical on Correa to get out of that deal but the Mariners staff passed Graveman, Giles and Munoz where none of them could throw a baseball. Obviously not for the same amount of money but they have been open clearly people for potential.

Completely talking out of my ass but this would be my assumption. I just feel this UCL tear could be a blessing in the Mariners favor cause their roster is set up to allow him to rehab his surgery (if he has it) while he still DH’s. They have plenty of pitching so he won’t be rushed back to collect all the incentives.