• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Josh Allen falls to #13

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If success = winning championships. You could make that argument about any QB in the NFL right now.

Shouldn't that be what we're aiming for?

There are plenty of QBs I'd have hope for a SB in the future with. Smith is not one of them.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are plenty of QBs I'd have hope for a SB in the future with. Smith is not one of them.

Why not w/ the right cast? I am not stating that the Skins & Smith will win a SB within a few years. However it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Smith could be a starting QB on a SB winning team. Freaking Nick Foles was just named SB MVP & Case Freaking Keenum was within one game of a SB.

The Chiefs didn't lose the playoff game to the Titans because of Smith - he actually had a pretty good game. His defense let him down in the end (contrary to claims here that Smith only did well because of other players on his team).

Again - Smith is perhaps not elite, but he is a hell of a lot better than some here portray.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not w/ the right cast? I am not stating that the Skins & Smith will win a SB within a few years. However it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Smith could be a starting QB on a SB winning team. Freaking Nick Foles was just named SB MVP & Case Freaking Keenum was within one game of a SB.

The Chiefs didn't lose the playoff game to the Titans because of Smith - he actually had a pretty good game. His defense let him down in the end (contrary to claims here that Smith only did well because of other players on his team).

Again - Smith is perhaps not elite, but he is a hell of a lot better than some here portray.

My beef with smith goes back a long way lol. Search my name and him and you'll probably find a lot of posts of me not talking very highly of him. He's the definition of a game manager. And because he doesn't turn it over and has played with good teams and coaches he has a good reputation. I haaaate game managers.

Technically could you win one with him? Sure. But you need an absolutely loaded team to win with him or guys like foles and even then you often need them to happen to play their best football of their life at the exact right time. So I think it's a very bad way to attempt to win. Building around Smith is hoping for a miracle.

Smith is just good enough to stick around and keep us from getting somebody we can actually have hope of a SB with.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Chiefs gave up 22 points while forcing a TO. That is good enough for a defense to win.

Alex threw for 264 and 2scores but ended with only a 45 QBR. Alex Smith in the second half without Kelce was scoreless in four possessions to include 2, 3 and outs. He did manage to run for -1 yards on 3rd and 1 and took 2sacks on his final possession. Alex was 5 for 9 and 33 yards in the second half. Yep...all on the defense and not CDC. Seems very dependent on others to me.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, I'm with that.

I guess I'd have to ask how far in the future are we talking as with the team we have now. I'm not seeing it. Not with Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Cousins, and on and on.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, I'm with that.

I guess I'd have to ask how far in the future are we talking as with the team we have now. I'm not seeing it. Not with Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Cousins, and on and on.

I think we would right now with Rodgers and maybe with Brady and Wilson.

In the future...here's the complete list of guys who give me more hope than smith...

Cousins, Dak, Wentz, Rodgers, Trubisky, Stafford, Bridgewater, Cam, Brees, Ryan, Jameis, Wilson, Goff, Garropolo, Brady, Ben, Watson, Luck, Mariota, Rivers, Mahomes, Carr.

That's 22 teams' QBs right there. PLUS Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, and Allen.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the future...here's the complete list of guys who give me more hope than smith...

Cousins, Dak, Wentz, Rodgers, Trubisky, Stafford, Bridgewater, Cam, Brees, Ryan, Jameis, Wilson, Goff, Garropolo, Brady, Ben, Watson, Luck, Mariota, Rivers, Mahomes, Carr.

That's 22 teams' QBs right there. PLUS Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, and Allen.

I think Rodgers would give us the best shot at present.

Wow. That's a lot of QBs, homey. So basically you believe Smith is in the bottom 1/3 of NFL QBs.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow. That's a lot of QBs, homey. So basically you believe Smith is in the bottom 1/3 of NFL QBs.

OK I know I wasnt asked, but my $.02

IN a vacuum Smith would be middle of the pack, and yes below Cousins on the NFL QB pecking order.

But there happens to be air in Ashburn. As such, we have to also look at what he brings to or takes away from the table for the team in question. If asked to carry the team, I just dont think he is the guy. And in light of the fact that for the past few seasons the main complaint has been... we need some one who can carry the team.

Well lets just say I dont think he will get it done. And yes I think quite a few are falling on their swords and getting behind this move because they wanted Cousins gone. And it would not work to admit Smith was NOT the guy they were hoping for.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh Rodgers for sure would be. I think hes the best QB in the league (and possibly ever but thats a whole other argument lol) and the best at carrying and masking a team and its flaws.

Its not that I think all those guys are better but the upside is there and thats whats important. For almost all of Smiths career his upside has been very limited. So yea I think Smith is a better QB than Derek Carr or Bridgewater right now but Id rather be trying to build around one of them.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's closer than you think. If all we're talking about are the results for next season, I'd definitely take 18 QBs before I'd take Smith. If you cut the league into 3 tiers, I'd put Smith at the bottom of the middle tier (he's ahead of guys like Bradford, Keenum, Mariota and Winston). Maybe it speaks well of the overall quality of the QB position in the league?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's closer than you think. If all we're talking about are the results for next season, I'd definitely take 18 QBs before I'd take Smith. If you cut the league into 3 tiers, I'd put Smith at the bottom of the middle tier (he's ahead of guys like Bradford, Keenum, Mariota and Winston). Maybe it speaks well of the overall quality of the QB position in the league?

ridiculous!!!! Bottom 1/3 in the nfl? lol. He is no different or maybe even better than KC.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ridiculous!!!! Bottom 1/3 in the nfl? lol. He is no different or maybe even better than KC.
What is ridiculous is your reading comprehension. Read it again. I did NOT say bottom 1/3 of the NFL.

I said if you cut the league into 3 tiers-- i.e., cut the league into thirds so there is roughly 3 groups of 10-11 QBs. Top 10-11, middle 10-11, bottom 10-11.

I'd take 18 other Qbs ahead of him, and that places him near the bottom of the middle tier.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we take him. We would have him for 5 years. He doesn't have to start right away. I have seen a lot of mocks where he is available at #13 which I find shocking.
I will be honest, I have NOT read all the threads related to this post Dean. We have a lot of money tied up in our QB's now that Smith is onboard and Colt will serve as his backup. Therefore, I do NOT see the Skins drafting a QB early and may not draft one late either. Maybe they wait until next year to make a move early for Smith's backup.

Either way, should #13 present itself with Josh Allen (highly doubt it) but if it does, we immediately call Buffalo and inquire about #21 & #22. All it takes is one team to fall in love with Allen and the trade talk can begin.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IN a vacuum Smith would be middle of the pack, and yes below Cousins on the NFL QB pecking order.

But there happens to be air in Ashburn. As such, we have to also look at what he brings to or takes away from the table for the team in question. If asked to carry the team, I just dont think he is the guy. And in light of the fact that for the past few seasons the main complaint has been... we need some one who can carry the team.

Let's just say that this is true^^^^ as you've written it and Smith is not someone who can carry the team. Doesn't it hold that those who, "for the past few seasons the main complaint has been... we need some one who can carry the team." That Kirk wasn't someone who was able to carry the team either (from their perspective)? Just asking!

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's just say that this is true^^^^ as you've written it and Smith is not someone who can carry the team. Doesn't it hold that those who, "for the past few seasons the main complaint has been... we need some one who can carry the team." That Kirk wasn't someone who was able to carry the team either (from their perspective)? Just asking![/QUOTE]

Sorry about the double post.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just say that this is true^^^^ as you've written it and Smith is not someone who can carry the team. Doesn't it hold that those who, "for the past few seasons the main complaint has been... we need some one who can carry the team." That Kirk wasn't someone who was able to carry the team either (from their perspective)? Just asking!

Sorry about the double post.[/QUOTE]

YOu are 100% correct. BUt then if the main reason to get rid of Kirk was because he couldnt carry the team. Those same folks should not be given a free pass to fall on the sword and proclaim Smith an upgrade NOW because he is exactly what they didnt want... only older.

As for Kirk not being able to carry the team.... If Smith had started for this team in 2017, I honestly think we would have won no more than 3 games. So Kirk did carry this team... just not far enough to satisfy the anti Kirk bunch.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's 22 teams' QBs right there. PLUS Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, and Allen.[/QUOTE

With that list i see you're not much of a qb evaluator

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry about the double post.

YOu are 100% correct. BUt then if the main reason to get rid of Kirk was because he couldnt carry the team. Those same folks should not be given a free pass to fall on the sword and proclaim Smith an upgrade NOW because he is exactly what they didnt want... only older.

As for Kirk not being able to carry the team.... If Smith had started for this team in 2017, I honestly think we would have won no more than 3 games. So Kirk did carry this team... just not far enough to satisfy the anti Kirk bunch.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, they see Smith as an slightly better version of Kirk, at this point it's all subjective and btw; that includes the notion that the 2017 ream would have only won 3 games. In a vote I'm pretty sure that there will be people who agree with you, and some who will say that the results would have been the same, while others would say that they might have won 8 or 9 games with Smith.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for Kirk not being able to carry the team.... If Smith had started for this team in 2017, I honestly think we would have won no more than 3 games. So Kirk did carry this team... just not far enough to satisfy the anti Kirk bunch.

Maybe, they see Smith as an slightly better version of Kirk, at this point it's all subjective and btw; that includes the notion that the 2017 ream would have only won 3 games. In a vote I'm pretty sure that there will be people who agree with you, and some who will say that the results would have been the same, while others would say that they might have won 8 or 9 games.[/QUOTE]

Well part of me would say.. we will see this year.

But if I were a betting man, I would wager that Bruce is going to go over board providing Smith with the tools to definitively show that he made a good choice. And by that I mean I fully expect him to add a starting caliber WR in FA if not two, I also expect that the #13 pick will be used on a WR and the second on another offensive weapon. The defense is going to suck.. again. BUt Bruce is going to make damn sure he makes the Smith move look good.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we take him. We would have him for 5 years. He doesn't have to start right away. I have seen a lot of mocks where he is available at #13 which I find shocking.
Smith is only 32 so drafting a QB in round one would be a mistake.