• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Green Bay Signs Kyle Fuller to Offer Sheet

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The result was determined. They let another team negotiate the deal (or not). If you think the deal is stupid, that's fine. Transition tags have multiple purposes, they don't just do 1 thing like you are acting like. That's an overly simplistic view of what a transition tag does.

Of course the transition tag has multiple purposes, who doesn't know this? However, in this case, with regards to Fuller, it's intention was to keep him here for one more year to prove it. And the deal is stupid. We're overpaying for a guy who before last year, was heavily considered a bust. Even the coaching staff had a problem with him. Then he has one good year and now all of the sudden everyone here thinks paying 56M is a good move because Pace got played--these must be the same people who thought we got a bargain signing Glennon to a 3 year deal.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The result was determined. They let another team negotiate the deal (or not). If you think the deal is stupid, that's fine. Transition tags have multiple purposes, they don't just do 1 thing like you are acting like. That's an overly simplistic view of what a transition tag does.

Of course the transition tag has multiple purposes, who doesn't know this? However, in this case, with regards to Fuller, it's intention was to keep him here for one more year to prove it. And the deal is stupid. We're overpaying for a guy who before last year, was heavily considered a bust. Even the coaching staff had a problem with him. Then he has one good year and now all of the sudden everyone here thinks paying 56M is a good move because Pace got played--these must be the same people who thought we got a bargain signing Glennon to a 3 year deal.

You don't know what the intent was...stfu

Hey, btw, how's that Glennon deal killing us right now? I mean we must be strapped for cash and unable to do much in Free Agency, right? What with all of that massive fully guaranteed contract we gave him. I bet it sets us back for years.:rolleyes2:

Said no one ever, except the biggest fucktard in internet history.

Ice_nine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you franchise tag Fuller. You are now negotiating against the that number. Big no-no.

18 mil guaranteed over a FOUR year deal... or you could be negotiating against nearly 15 million, fully guaranteed on just a ONE year year deal with the tag on.

With the franchise tag, you are negotiating against that number but the TEAM has the leverage. In effect you just gave the guy $3 million more guaranteed and the incentive for his performance away. His cash in hand this year is now $20 million instead of the $15 million he would have gotten franchised. And now he can go back to mailing it in, what does he care, if the Bears cut him next year and actually eat the $13.5 dead cap charge that would have, he can probably fetch the $9 million the Bears would have to pay him if not more.

Green Bay knew exactly what they were doing. Giving him that $18 million signing bonus was a little bit of a gamble for them but they calculated correctly that the Bears wouldn't let it pass.

The Bears got smoked here. Hopefully for you guys he keeps playing well, but strategically this was terribly played.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the franchise tag, you are negotiating against that number but the TEAM has the leverage. In effect you just gave the guy $3 million more guaranteed and the incentive for his performance away. His cash in hand this year is now $20 million instead of the $15 million he would have gotten franchised. And now he can go back to mailing it in, what does he care, if the Bears cut him next year and actually eat the $13.5 dead cap charge that would have, he can probably fetch the $9 million the Bears would have to pay him if not more.

Green Bay knew exactly what they were doing. Giving him that $18 million signing bonus was a little bit of a gamble for them but they calculated correctly that the Bears wouldn't let it pass.

The Bears got smoked here. Hopefully for you guys he keeps playing well, but strategically this was terribly played.

Not to be an ass.......But why do you care about our team.....?...Buffalo is thatta way----------->

Ice_nine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I care about all of em. I just posted in Jax forum but I dont give whit about them either. The posters here tend to give up a solid comedy return though.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And now he can go back to mailing it in, what does he care

This logic applies to any type of multi-year contract he would have gotten. "He got paid... he can mail it in"

Also, I don't think that I actually have to explain to you why a player has incentive to play well. There's a lot of further financial incentive to play well. Mail it in and you'll get the minimum guaranteed on this contract, while the next contract will be quite the depressing drop off.

As did the Bears. They were fine letting another team negotiate the deal for them. Fuller's contract is right at market value. Coming up right around Butler's deal (5 years/61 mil/24 mil guaranteed).

The Bears got smoked here.

You have yet to demonstrate how. If they would have signed Fuller to this deal two weeks ago, it would have barely sparked any conversation. "Ho-hum... Bears got Fuller back right at market value. Good for them. Moving along now."

But of course this scenario creates a situation where the Madden GM's of the world get to create some melodramatic story line.

Meanwhile, in Packer land. "We made it too easy on the Bears!"

Did Packers make it too easy for Bears to keep Kyle Fuller? Packer Wire

The Chicago Bears needed all of two hours to decide on matching the Green Bay Packers’ offer sheet for cornerback Kyle Fuller.

They had five days.

At first glance, it’s not hard to understand why the Bears were in a big hurry to get their hands on the deal.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Fuller and the Packers agreed to a four-year deal worth $56 million. The Bears quickly agreed to match.

In the end, the Packers probably gave the Bears a big hand in getting a long-term deal done with their top cornerback. And they did it without making the Bears think long and hard about matching the deal. It was an offer sheet tailormade for a match.

Fuller will now make $14 million per season, or a little over $1 million more than he would have made in 2018 on the transition tag. And the only true guaranteed money is his $18 million signing bonus, which is about $5 million more than the $12.97 million he would have been guaranteed on the one-year tag.

In reality, Fuller will be all but guaranteed $29 million during the first two years of the deal. That’s a lot, especially for a player the Bears declined the fifth-year option to last offseason, but it’s right around the going rate for a young cornerback coming off a season as good as Fuller’s was in 2017.

The Packers wanted to add Fuller, and the Bears left an opening by giving him the transition tag. But there was a catch: To pry away a player like Fuller, the Packers needed to structure the deal in a highly destructive way against the Bears’ cap. Instead, Fuller and the Packers agreed on a pretty reasonable deal that gave the Bears all the incentive in the world to match it.

Essentially, Brian Gutekunst and Russ Ball did a good deal of Ryan Pace’s work for him. The Packers now have to go searching for a different cornerback, while the Bears can celebrate a sensible contract for Fuller.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be an ass.......But why do you care about our team.....?...Buffalo is thatta way----------->

He has 123 posts and I'd be willing to bet that 120 are on the Bears board.

I am rather sure that it is BS.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t be surprised if more teams don’t use the transition tag in the future. Who do you want to set the market value? The players or the opposing teams. I get that GB might want to over pay out ofnspite/stealing from a rival, but they have no benefit from overpaying as well. In reality, we thought fuller over-valued himself, and told him to go find his value in the open market. This transition rage looks like a stroke of brilliance from Pace.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ice 9 is entitled to his opinion.
I was with him until he said:
The Bears got smoked here.

I get that GB might want to over pay out ofnspite/stealing from a rival, but they have no benefit from overpaying as well. In reality, we thought fuller over-valued himself, and told him to go find his value in the open market. This transition rage looks like a stroke of brilliance from Pace.
:agree:
I'd also add to the chatter that Fuller may have only played harder knowing he was in a contract year... I'm sure Green Bay was just as aware of this as well.
Especially since Green Bay doesn't make a habit of throwing free agent contract around.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Finally. Someone who gets it.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread just proves that Bear fans on average are idiots and their bias makes them blind.

Glennon deal was great!
Signing Fuller to a long term deal after one year after getting played by GB was a "stroke of genius"!

If i left this board the average board IQ would diminish to zero. You're welcome for staying.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread just proves that Bear fans on average are idiots and their bias makes them blind.

Glennon deal was great!
Signing Fuller to a long term deal after one year after getting played by GB was a "stroke of genius"!

If i left this board the average board IQ would diminish to zero. You're welcome for staying.

Unintelligible ramblings followed immediately by a proclamation of being a genius.

latest

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unintelligible ramblings followed immediately by a proclamation of being a genius.

latest

How do i intelligently debate someone who thinks signing Glennon was a "great move", "..because it's not hurting us now"....?

You can't. Spot on with that picture monkey.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do i intelligently debate someone who thinks signing Glennon was a "great move", "..because it's not hurting us now"....?

You can't. Spot on with that picture monkey.

Ya, that WOULD be tough, especially since NO ONE ever said it was a "great move".

Just because you make shit up, doesn't mean it really happened, ya delusional stalker.

Now hurry up and finish knitting yourself a sweater made up entirely of my shower hair.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, that WOULD be tough, especially since NO ONE ever said it was a "great move".

Just because you make shit up, doesn't mean it really happened, ya delusional stalker.

Now hurry up and finish knitting yourself a sweater made up entirely of my shower hair.

Backpedaling as usual.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glennon deal was great!

Who would they have signed to start instead of Glennon? Would the money have been much different? Does it even matter because of all the cap space the bears had?