• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers v. Packers - Divisional Round

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just talking to my Dad about when McCaffrey absolutely destroyed Iowa in the Rose Bowl in 2016. We were joking that the Packers should hold him to less than 600 all purpose yards, thus giving them a chance.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We looked terrible for most of the night and had some luck with dropped interceptions but we move on. Purdy showed up when needed at the end and so did the defense.

I was really worried about two weeks off for the starters and the rust showed. Packers were also hot coming in and looked good.

Next week should be an easier game but there is a lot that needs to be cleaned up and hopefully Deebo is back.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on the win, great game to watch, Packers had their chances and could not get it done.

Good luck the rest of the way to the 49ers, hope Samuel injury is not too bad.
I still can't believe this was supposed to be a rebuild for you guys. I see another playoff meeting coming next season.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game, and since the 9ers won I didn't knock the cow shit off my shoes this time.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A real nail biter. Thankfully we came out on top.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on all the Youtube of late, this evaluation is in line and fair. The GB offense has been on fire in the 2nd half of the season, so no reason to think they'll revert backwards. They will score so its a matter of how many TD's vice FG's?

The GB defense DOES have good individual talent and could put together a good game. Why it doesn't stack up well Unit wise doesn't make sense?

BOTH ST units aren't good so it might come down to a play or two here? Similar to the last 49er win in Lambeau, via blocked punt.

The 49ers have too many advantages (rest, less injuries, home, etc.) and unless they beat themselves, should win. That said, the 49ers have shown the ability to beat themselves via the Ravens game. Anyway, I agree with " I give the Packers chances "any given Sunday" and being a play-off game better, a little more.
One word, “Barry” he needs to go. I just hope and pray he didn’t do enough to keep his job.

Forgot to add, congrats on the W. Maybe someday GB can get the monkey off their back and beat SF in the playoffs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tired so I’m gonna make this quick, lol. Niners can’t come out flat and need to get pressure on the QB. I feel like we have had some games where we have not pressured the QB like we are more than capable of. We have rested guys but I worry about rust with the break. GB has been playing great. We can’t start off slow or this could be a tough game. If we fall behind early like Dallas, I worry we may choke it away. Personally I think Purdy gets us started off quick with a an early Deebo TD and we don’t let up. Niners 37-21
Yes, the 49ers have not been able to get sacks despite stacking DEs. Even Hargrave doesn't appear to get enough pressure or causing enough disruption for others?

Its bad enough they can't stop the run, but add lack of pressure and we could be outscored. Green Bay should've applied hell'a lot of pressure starting with that dropped "pick 6". They missed a field goal and or course decided to go on 4th down. We could've been down by 14-17 early on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm worried just because of us having two weeks off. Our offense is about so much timing, being off at all would result in turnovers. We need Kyle to not try being so smart, focus on running the ball and get CMC going. I have confidence in Purdy but we do not want to be in a position where we need to throw to win.

Defense needs to put pressure on Love. He has looked good but they have not played a good defense in a while. The Packers looked great last week but Dallas helped a lot with that.

If we play our game, we win by 2+ TD's. If we come out flat, then it's anyone's game.
Unfortunately, Purdy's weakness got really exposed, his inability to throw a wet football. Nobody throws a wet football well, but his passes were WAY off till the last drive. So it wasn't rust holding back the offense, but the weather.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good luck today you guys! I’m expecting a Niners victory and assuming you do win, I’ll be rooting for you the rest of the way. You COULD let us have just one though…. :D
Green Bay played a really good game overall and out played the 49ers. But just a few plays will cost you such as the missed 'pick 6', missed field goal, and of course the INT's. The schemes were working and I think only one penalty? Obviously, GB could've won it.

Some are saying that last 49er drive is a mark of a good team but IMO, we simply got away with this win.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One word, “Barry” he needs to go. I just hope and pray he didn’t do enough to keep his job.

Forgot to add, congrats on the W. Maybe someday GB can get the monkey off their back and beat SF in the playoffs.
Its only a question of when? I'd hate it of course but to me it'll happen sooner rather than later.

The main reason is the 49ers won't be able to sustain these high paid players for long. Secondly, the Packers have YOUNG talent and already high on the upswing.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its only a question of when? I'd hate it of course but to me it'll happen sooner rather than later.

The main reason is the 49ers won't be able to sustain these high paid players for long. Secondly, the Packers have YOUNG talent and already high on the upswing.
There might have been more but i only remember one playoff game in SF that the 9ers just gave GB a beating. Seems like most of them have been close where had GB made a play or 2 they would have won just like this last one. Personally, i think someone put a curse on GB so no matter what they cant beat SF in the playoffs.

I kid but its been frustrating to say the least.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hats off to GB. The Packers outplayed the Niners. Plain and simple. They had 1 too many bounces go against them. The missed FG, the early tipped-pass pick, and the late Love dumb decision. They beat the Niners in all 3 phases of the game and frankly deserved to win the game but for that last pick. The Niners escaped that game with a win. But that is what usually happens in the playoffs--the Packers beat Dallas and then GB loses to SF. Nice to see old traditions stay alive. Of course, our recent tradition in the NFCCG and SB...smh.

Purdy clearly has issues throwing a wet football. Some of that is in his head though. STill, one of his early passes hit a defender in the chest, but he dropped the pick!
--Glove, no glove. Just pick one and get comfortable.
--he was off all day. Just like the Cleveland game and to a lesser extent the Washington game (the last game he played this regular season).
--Sure, he came through in the clutch though! He was 6-7 on the last drive, with the only miss being a Kittle drop. He hit big passes to both BA and Conley (who?) and even ran for 8 or 9 yards to get down into scoring position. That was the Purdy we all know. That is the Purdy we'd better see against the Lions if we hope to have any chance of winning.
--this is the game-winning drive the critics have been waiting to see from Purdy. Where the team is down late and he has to pass most of the time. I have no doubt his harshest critics will wear themselves out moving the goalposts today.

I get that that ball was wet, but we had several dropped passes out there. BA, Kittle, etc. All were having problems, but those receivers have sticky gloves on.

What happened to the Niner defense out there? Sure, overall, they were pretty good (Greenlaw, Warner, Ward, Demo, all had pretty good games). But....
--why were only our defenders slipping and falling down for the first half of the game? You'd think they'd have had that figured out before game time.
--our pass rush has disappeared over the last few games. Bosa can make a play or 2 per game, but Hargrave, Armstead, were MIA. If we get that little amount of pressure against Detroit, we'll lose by double digits.
--Our Dline was gashed for a couple of big runs in this one, even though I thought Kinlaw was surprisingly good.
--Chase Young was apparently benched at one point in favor of Gregory--from my review, Young kept blowing run-defense responsibility
--Ambry Thomas's worst game? Maybe. He was targeted 5 times, gave up 5 catches for 74yds and was penalized for DPI twice, both on 3rd...effin...down (one DPI went for 41yds). He should be on a very short least against Detroit b/c if I were the Lions, I'd got 4 and 5 wide and make Thomas play and cover someone and throw it to whomever he is covering whether he's open or not. At this point, Luter can't be any worse at CB.
--I get that Ryan was brought in for depth and b/c Brown had a rough couple of games, but is he really the best we can do at safety?

I also thought Shanny was thoroughly outcoached. His game plan apparently depended on Deebo a lot. B/c when he went out, everything seemed to change. Then again, in the driving rain against a middle of the road run defense, one would think he would run the ball a lot--instead, he went empty backfield, air-raid offense even though his QB was obviously uncomfortable throwing the ball. W...t...h? Read the room, you moron!
--what was with the time management at the end of the half? This is the 2nd time he's done this. He pulled the same "play for a field goal" weird time management thing against Dallas too.
--Why did CMC only get 17 carries? No excuse for that in a monsoon game where the QB was clearly struggling.
--nice to see Shanny get off the schnide after having been 0-30 when trailing by 5+ in the 4th quarter. His playcalling on the game winning drive worked out really well. maybe he and Purdy should be getting some love for the clutchness.

The good news is that the Lions game is supposed to have no rain and decent weather. The big issues will be Deebo's health, Shanny's gameplan, and whether the defense can get pressure on Goff and cover the uber-speedy Lions WRs. Niners are early favorites over Detroit (-7).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, clock management at the end of the 2nd quarter, was poor. Its similar to the "trying not to lose mentality". This is the play-offs and you need a little more sense of urgency.

The GB defense did well against the run - except for CMC's first TD of course. I expected us to be more effective in the run game.

Our D-line is underperforming for sure. There's a LOT of capital/talent of that line, but not enough production to match. I've started to question Chase Young about 5 weeks ago, and just started on Hargrave. Not saying these guys are bad but they're not matching their capital. Obviously, we need more D-line production if we expect to win the next two games, else too much pressure to score a lot of points.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hats off to GB. The Packers outplayed the Niners. Plain and simple. They had 1 too many bounces go against them. The missed FG, the early tipped-pass pick, and the late Love dumb decision. They beat the Niners in all 3 phases of the game and frankly deserved to win the game but for that last pick. The Niners escaped that game with a win. But that is what usually happens in the playoffs--the Packers beat Dallas and then GB loses to SF. Nice to see old traditions stay alive. Of course, our recent tradition in the NFCCG and SB...smh.

Purdy clearly has issues throwing a wet football. Some of that is in his head though. STill, one of his early passes hit a defender in the chest, but he dropped the pick!
--Glove, no glove. Just pick one and get comfortable.
--he was off all day. Just like the Cleveland game and to a lesser extent the Washington game (the last game he played this regular season).
--Sure, he came through in the clutch though! He was 6-7 on the last drive, with the only miss being a Kittle drop. He hit big passes to both BA and Conley (who?) and even ran for 8 or 9 yards to get down into scoring position. That was the Purdy we all know. That is the Purdy we'd better see against the Lions if we hope to have any chance of winning.
--this is the game-winning drive the critics have been waiting to see from Purdy. Where the team is down late and he has to pass most of the time. I have no doubt his harshest critics will wear themselves out moving the goalposts today.

I get that that ball was wet, but we had several dropped passes out there. BA, Kittle, etc. All were having problems, but those receivers have sticky gloves on.

What happened to the Niner defense out there? Sure, overall, they were pretty good (Greenlaw, Warner, Ward, Demo, all had pretty good games). But....
--why were only our defenders slipping and falling down for the first half of the game? You'd think they'd have had that figured out before game time.
--our pass rush has disappeared over the last few games. Bosa can make a play or 2 per game, but Hargrave, Armstead, were MIA. If we get that little amount of pressure against Detroit, we'll lose by double digits.
--Our Dline was gashed for a couple of big runs in this one, even though I thought Kinlaw was surprisingly good.
--Chase Young was apparently benched at one point in favor of Gregory--from my review, Young kept blowing run-defense responsibility
--Ambry Thomas's worst game? Maybe. He was targeted 5 times, gave up 5 catches for 74yds and was penalized for DPI twice, both on 3rd...effin...down (one DPI went for 41yds). He should be on a very short least against Detroit b/c if I were the Lions, I'd got 4 and 5 wide and make Thomas play and cover someone and throw it to whomever he is covering whether he's open or not. At this point, Luter can't be any worse at CB.
--I get that Ryan was brought in for depth and b/c Brown had a rough couple of games, but is he really the best we can do at safety?

I also thought Shanny was thoroughly outcoached. His game plan apparently depended on Deebo a lot. B/c when he went out, everything seemed to change. Then again, in the driving rain against a middle of the road run defense, one would think he would run the ball a lot--instead, he went empty backfield, air-raid offense even though his QB was obviously uncomfortable throwing the ball. W...t...h? Read the room, you moron!
--what was with the time management at the end of the half? This is the 2nd time he's done this. He pulled the same "play for a field goal" weird time management thing against Dallas too.
--Why did CMC only get 17 carries? No excuse for that in a monsoon game where the QB was clearly struggling.
--nice to see Shanny get off the schnide after having been 0-30 when trailing by 5+ in the 4th quarter. His playcalling on the game winning drive worked out really well. maybe he and Purdy should be getting some love for the clutchness.

The good news is that the Lions game is supposed to have no rain and decent weather. The big issues will be Deebo's health, Shanny's gameplan, and whether the defense can get pressure on Goff and cover the uber-speedy Lions WRs. Niners are early favorites over Detroit (-7).
Back from another 2 weeks of work travel... made it home on Saturday just in time to watch both games. I think you're observations are spot-on. I kept saying throughout the game (and my wife got tired of hearing it) "wtf is up with this game-plan???". I really thought, given the conditions and watching how GB has played these last several weeks, that we'd have a HEALTHY dose of the run-game. But no - we didn't even have Purdy lined-up under center much at all... mostly shotgun sets with the intention of passing the ball. I totally think we had Deebo highlighted in the gameplan, and when he went down things kinda went haywire, but didn't see us adjust at all. I think Purday should have only passed the ball like 25 times, and we should have planned that way. Just one of the ways that I think Shanahan gets stubborn to his own detriment.

Other than the two penalties on Ambry, I thought the defense played really well. Keeping GB out of the endzone early in the game was HUGE and made all the difference in the world. While they didn't sack Love, they did flush him out of the pocket a few times which lead to the 2 int's. I don't know what we do about Ambry. On the final drive, GB went to his side for all of their completions. He was playing like 15 yards off the line at that point - total gimmes. Wonder what we do to help him out against the Lions, because Ben Johnson is probably licking his chops right now.

Bummed by Purdy's overall performance, because I think he's better than that. Clearly he's got issues with a wet ball, but the gameplan and Deebo going down had a big impact on his play as well, I believe. Huge props to him for leading the game-winning drive, however. Goalposts will move this week, for sure!!! They already have on this morning "hot takes" shows. Keyshawn was saying a "comeback" is really a double digit deficit heading into the 4th qtr. :rolleyes2: A win is a win is a win, though... I'm hoping for a nice rebound against the Lions next week.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge shout-outs to Jennings and Conely.... Jennings was playing the Deebo role with Deebo going down and did what he always does - catch the balls that are thrown his way. Conely playing the Jennings role when Jennings was WR2 - catching a huge ball when everyone was focused on the starters.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge shout-outs to Jennings and Conely.... Jennings was playing the Deebo role with Deebo going down and did what he always does - catch the balls that are thrown his way. Conely playing the Jennings role when Jennings was WR2 - catching a huge ball when everyone was focused on the starters.
Great point, particularly on Jennings. The guy stepped up in a big way and caught several gotta-have-it balls.

And that big pass to Conley on the Niners last drive was money.