• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your thoughts on the NFL putting Green bay and Detroit into the late slot?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your thoughts on this topic please.

See in my mind they needed this game and the Seahawks/Rams game to be played at the same time. If Seattle wins then No matter what happens the Lions are out of the Playoffs and have really NOTHING to play for other than the spoiler role. Having the Lions and Seahawks play at the same time both teams are fighting for a Playoff spot but because now the Hawks game will be well over before Green bay and the Lions get on the field it removes any and all excitement in the game for even the fans of other teams as they will know before the game starts who is going in unless the Hawks lose. Hmm ... unless the Hawks lose........ ok now i am seeing even something more fishy. Having the Hawks LOSE would be the best case outcome making the Sunday night game have HUGE implications ... oh god if that happens i will start being on the "fixed games" bandwagon.

Just lose and get a better draft choice fook the NFL lol.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im fully prepared for all kinds of one sided officiating and horribly blown calls.

The jags-titans should be the the late game, its the only game that will determine a division is it not?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im fully prepared for all kinds of one sided officiating and horribly blown calls.

The jags-titans should be the the late game, its the only game that will determine a division is it not?

Probably goes down to marketing. I see it as the NFL looking at the matchups and seeing the Lions/Packers game having a better chance of ratings even if both teams were 4-12. So, no matter what happens to Seattle, there are playoff implications and so the game is of even more interest for fans across the country. No matter what Seattle does, the Lions/Packers game is the more compelling matchup and has the best chance of bringing in the most money from the timeslot.

Sucks to be Seattle (or Tennessee/Jacksonville) in this scenario - as it has nothing to do with competitive balance, and everything to do with revenues.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably goes down to marketing. I see it as the NFL looking at the matchups and seeing the Lions/Packers game having a better chance of ratings even if both teams were 4-12. So, no matter what happens to Seattle, there are playoff implications and so the game is of even more interest for fans across the country. No matter what Seattle does, the Lions/Packers game is the more compelling matchup and has the best chance of bringing in the most money from the timeslot.

Sucks to be Seattle (or Tennessee/Jacksonville) in this scenario - as it has nothing to do with competitive balance, and everything to do with revenues.
If Seattle wins the Lions are eliminated even before they play their game and the Packers are in if they win. So like I said the ONLY WAY the Packers vs Lions becomes a meaningful game is if Seattle loses. Thats the ONLY way this game has playoff implications for both teams, so Seattle has to lose to make the Sunday night game have implications on the playoffs for anyone other than the Packers.

this just smells fishy. I have seen some very horribly called games in the last week of the season we all have and i expect nothing else but just that in the Seahawks game. Put your money on the Rams :/

to be honest I don't want to make the playoffs with a 9-8 record because it doesn't help us at all.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Seattle wins the Lions are eliminated even before they play their game and the Packers are in if they win. So like I said the ONLY WAY the Packers vs Lions becomes a meaningful game is if Seattle loses. Thats the ONLY way this game has playoff implications for both teams, so Seattle has to lose to make the Sunday night game have implications on the playoffs for anyone other than the Packers.

this just smells fishy. I have seen some very horribly called games in the last week of the season we all have and i expect nothing else but just that in the Seahawks game. Put your money on the Rams :/

to be honest I don't want to make the playoffs with a 9-8 record because it doesn't help us at all.
Seattle got royally hosed.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah it’s pretty lame, but I agree with you, making the playoffs will be one and done most likely anyway, and it will lower that draft pick a lot, I’d rather just get a higher draft pick, we have too many needs …

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Not playing both games at the same time as the NFL has typically done in the past in similar scenarios at the expense of pursuing higher ratings and profits in prime time creates legitimate competitive balance concerns."

this 100% this. The NFL has ALWAYS moved games around to keep it fair this time they willingly moved a game to make it unfair competitively all around.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it’s pretty lame, but I agree with you, making the playoffs will be one and done most likely anyway, and it will lower that draft pick a lot, I’d rather just get a higher draft pick, we have too many needs …

Yes I think if the Hawks make it and lose the first game they pick 19th and if they don't and lose this last regular season game it's 13th or around there. So i would much rather have that 13th pick in every round for their choice than that 19th.

As people have said on here before and i mean as in Many if not MOST OF YOU " what good does it do us to pick late every year if we are just going to be one and done"

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all completely overblown.

The Lions are going to play hard on Sunday night regardless of what the Seahawks are going to do. First off, Dan Campbell needs to show ownership that the team is going in the right direction. If they were to lose badly to the Packers on Sunday night, that could lead to him getting fired. I'll give two recent examples of why this is true. Doug Pederson was fired, in large measure, because he half-assed the last game of the season. Adam Gase and the Jets simply needed to lose the last game of the season 2 years ago and the Jets would have got the 1st pick and Trevor Lawrence. Gase and the Jets played hard and won that game, despite Gase being a dead man walking.

Football is too intense a game to half ass and the 46 guys that are dressed every Sunday are only focused on keeping their jobs or getting their next contract.

The NFL doesn't really care about any of this. They just want maximum ratings.

Regardless I'm pretty sure it is NBC that decides what the prime time game is anyway.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is too intense a game to half ass and the 46 guys that are dressed every Sunday are only focused on keeping their jobs or getting their next contract.

The NFL doesn't really care about any of this. They just want maximum ratings.

Regardless I'm pretty sure it is NBC that decides what the prime time game is anyway.
This is it right here. Players and coaches are always competing for their jobs or they soon won't have one. That's motivation enough right there. This isn't some big NFL conspiracy or apathy toward the Hawks. It also isn't some inside job to help GB.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know how anyone can be a seahawks fan and not feel like the league is out to get us, cmon maaaaaaaaaan

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know how anyone can be a seahawks fan and not feel like the league is out to get us, cmon maaaaaaaaaan

Why in the world do you think the league would be out to get the Seahawks?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is it right here. Players and coaches are always competing for their jobs or they soon won't have one. That's motivation enough right there. This isn't some big NFL conspiracy or apathy toward the Hawks. It also isn't some inside job to help GB.

People tend to confuse playoffs teams sitting players with team's giving up.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the world do you think the league would be out to get the Seahawks?
Im being partially facetious here...

But does the vinny testeverde TD ring any bells?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL. That was 20 years ago. They made up for it with the Fail Mary.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. That was 20 years ago. They made up for it with the Fail Mary.
Almost 25 years but ill never forget it, and the fail mary was clearly a mistake and not meant to be.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is disappointing but the NFL is in this business to make money so I'm definitely not surprised... GB vs Det Ratings vs Jags vs Titans? Not even close imo... If I was the NFL I would've done the same thing... Rams could beat the Hawks and part of me thinks the NFL hopes that happens, which is why they flexed Det/GB to Sunday night... If the Hawks do lose, that game will get big time ratings... I personally feel like GB will win either way because it's in Lambeau so our game may not matter either way...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That might be the biggest sports meltdown I’ve ever had !! I was SOOO pissed at that call… The other one that was right there was the illegal block called on Hasselbeck when he made a tackle after the 4th qrt INT in Super Bowl 40… And illegal fuck&@@& block on a tackle !! Tha @)@7&

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both games should have been 4:25 but if the Hawks win, I don't see Dan Campbell letting Detroit lay down. If he's out of the playoffs, he'll want to take his rival with him.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the difference that the Seahawks are playing a suck team, and the Packers and Lions are each playing a .500 team with a reasonable equal chance of making the playoffs?

I don't think the NFL is thinking that the Rams are automatically going to play a bad game, but if it's a three-way battle for the last playoff spot, ratings are always going to favor the matchup that features two of the three teams in question. There are going to be more "exciting" scenarios based on the Lions-Packers game, simply by virtue of the Packers making the playoffs with a win.