• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

fsu and clemson to the big 12

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barron said he was forced to amend his original email response, which he said he cut-and-pasted to various recipients and tried to add personalized messages at the bottom. His early versions contained fact errors about the Big 12’s payoff structure and the methods of travel for various FSU teams to ACC games.

“After about the 10th email, I corrected that,” Barron said.

But Barron also said he was surprised to hear that people think he has now made up his mind on FSU’s conference affiliation.

“I have no idea what the next few weeks or even days will bring,” Barron said. “I know I have alumni irritated because they think I made up my mind. What I am trying to say is this is not some simple thing.

“It’s amazing how many people will say to me, ‘You don’t understand. If you go to the Big 12, Clemson will go with you and so will Miami and you can play them.’

“How do you know that? How can you say that? This is quite complicated. I have no idea how people will react to what I said, but I’m just trying to get the facts out there.”

Barron also said that he believes FSU has done the proper due diligence should any major conference be willing to discuss a possible move.

Though he wouldn’t pinpoint an exact time when the research was done, he said he felt comfortable last summer when rumors circulated about FSU possibly joining the SEC that his staff was prepped in case the league contacted him.

“There is no way that the university wouldn’t at least do its homework,” Barron said. “That wouldn’t make sense otherwise. But that happened last year and I didn’t believe there was any truth to the rumors then. And I don’t believe there is any truth to these rumors now.

“It would have been strange for us not to think about it. To do a study and issue a report? No. But of course you think about it.”

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's throw everything out of the equation other than money .. because like I said, it's the only really DECENT argument for FSU leaving for the Big12. At this point, they stand to gain ~3 million per year off of 1st and 2nd tier rights. I bet that 1-2 million of that would get chewed up in increased travel costs. This is assuming a full defection of all sports. What about the $20 million or so buyout? Optimistic estimate is that the Big12/boosters shoulder half of that. It would take FSU at least 5-10 years to break even. A good point about ticket sales. You think playing Texas/OU every handful of years is going to really help home ticket sales? If anything, nixing the Florida/Miami games would hurt it even more. And FSU would likely get stuck with the shit side of the conference. If they can't sell out a home conference game, you think anyone cares about them playing Iowa State?

I just don't see it bone .. just don't see it .. Unless FSU could pull in ridiculous amounts of money through 3rd tier TV, I don't see it << and I don't think they could. The 1st and 2nd tier already cover most decent games they play. If they can't sell out home games, you think anyone is going to watch their game versus Savannah State on 3rd tier TV?

FSU is not Texas, Notre Dame, or Alabama. They will not get the money that these teams get. They need to focus more on improving their product. Their product now is of lesser quality, causing a decrease in cash-flow ... not the other way around. Like I've said all along, this would be a HUGE win for the Big 12 .. but FSU?? I'm not so sure. Doesn't sound like a lot of those guys (BOT, Prez) are working with a full toolbox anyhow, so we can throw simple logic out of the equation with their decision making.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and most every team that may be inclined to move in the future has done their due diligence. They did theirs when they were knocking on the SEC's door. VT has probably done some of their own and so on. That's not earth-shattering news. And FWIW, if the SEC invited FSU, they would be gone tomorrow, no questions asked. We all know that.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like some are missing the fact that the money will be more than 3mil,if the they go to 12 teams the money is going to be around 25-30 mil(two schools and a CCG)

also i havent dbl checked it but i said earlier the big 12 covers the travel expenses for its members(edisto posted it) so that might be out the window

and the new teams on the schedule will be better imo....fsu can play miami/florida ooc if they want,every school has one good ooc game anyways

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so 46&2 posted in another thread that he now believes this will happen........so i guess everyone can start believing now...:D

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i trust what he says about other things ... and based on that, the big12 is fsu's only GOOD option outside of the acc ... i don't think they leave until they're forced to leave because it's their only chance (in the future) to play football in a major football conference

$30 million per team?? i'll believe that when i see it. from what i've read, acc football games (overall) have more viewership than big 12 games ... not by much ... that being said, the acc commish definitely got owned in negotiations .. that's for damned sure

Nielsen ratings (2011) for average TV viewership:

1. SEC – 4,447,000
2. Big Ten – 3,267,000
3. ACC – 2,650,000
4. Big 12 – 2,347,000
5. Pac-12 – 2,108,000
6. Big East – 1,884,000

edit: and from a TV viewership standpoint, FSU is not the conference's only draw (Miami, VT)

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i trust what he says about other things ... and based on that, the big12 is fsu's only GOOD option outside of the acc ... i don't think they leave until they're forced to leave because it's their only chance (in the future) to play football in a major football conference

$30 million per team?? i'll believe that when i see it. from what i've read, acc football games (overall) have more viewership than big 12 games ... not by much ... that being said, the acc commish definitely got owned in negotiations .. that's for damned sure

Nielsen ratings (2011) for average TV viewership:

1. SEC – 4,447,000
2. Big Ten – 3,267,000
3. ACC – 2,650,000
4. Big 12 – 2,347,000
5. Pac-12 – 2,108,000
6. Big East – 1,884,000

edit: and from a TV viewership standpoint, FSU is not the conference's only draw (Clemson, VT)

FIFY

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets just say that right now this shit is HOT HOT HOT

Last edited by a moderator:

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
game-of-thrones-poster.jpg

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fsu/clemson is a done deal....deal with it......the only thing left now is to see how many more the big 12 wants to grab right now......nd,vt,pitt,gt,lousiville,miami are in play...could jump to 14 or 16 teams........:)

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fsu/clemson is a done deal....deal with it......the only thing left now is to see how many more the big 12 wants to grab right now......nd,vt,pitt,gt,lousiville,miami are in play...could jump to 14 or 16 teams........:)

Link?