• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumors Abound: Washington, Oregon, FSU, Clemson to the Big 10 as soon as this week?

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Largely politics. The med school getting up and running is the biggest thing from what I hear. But Sands is pushing fucking HARD for AAU status.
With FSU, It’s our engineering school that is apparently the weak link. I know we run it in conjunction with Florida A&M just down the road. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, or if the program is just weak…

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big ten is currently at 18 teams now. I would like them to add cal and Stanford and expand to 24 total teams, meaning they would need four more. They could then have 4 six-team divisions and keep in place some of its old charm.

A lighter variation of this would be to add only Stanford (screw Cal) and expand to 20 teams, meaning they only needed one more addition. Then you could have 4 five-team divisions
Personally, I wouldn't add Cal or Stanford.

I would go after Clemson, FSU, Miami, and GT. That would lock up several major markets in the South. I would even consider UNC to add to that list.

They really need a school in the Texas area, but I'm not sure who would be a good fit. I think Oklahoma St could be a good candidate.

If B1G added those six teams above, that would put them at 24 teams, and in my opinion, that would be a HUGE footprint across the entire country (similar to what you see in the NFL).

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I wouldn't add Cal or Stanford.

I would go after Clemson, FSU, Miami, and GT. That would lock up several major markets in the South. I would even consider UNC to add to that list.

They really need a school in the Texas area, but I'm not sure who would be a good fit. I think Oklahoma St could be a good candidate.

If B1G added those six teams above, that would put them at 24 teams, and in my opinion, that would be a HUGE footprint across the entire country (similar to what you see in the NFL).
I think Stanford brings great history and academics to the B1G. Baylor would be a great academic addition from Texas, but that school seems to have been the only reason why the big 12 didn't fold a while ago so it probably wouldn't be interested. Miami as a B1G team is gross, as is GT, IMO, but I like the though of NC and Virginia. I suppose I could stomach Clemson.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington

Michigan
Ohio State
Purdue
Illinois

Penn State
Michigan State
Indiana
Northwestern

Florida St
Clemson
Maryland
Rutgers

Nebraska
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin

OR

USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Nebraska

Florida St
Clemson
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana

Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Illinois

Michigan State
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Like the first one. both are better though. 1st one looks good.

I still think in this current conference realignment, ND needs to be added in the B1G. I'd probably add NC, Miami, ND, and Vtech.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Stanford brings great history and academics to the B1G. Baylor would be a great academic addition from Texas, but that school seems to have been the only reason why the big 12 didn't fold a while ago so it probably wouldn't be interested. Miami as a B1G team is gross, as is GT, IMO, but I like the though of NC and Virginia. I suppose I could stomach Clemson.

The Big Ten doesn't need academics though. It's about market share. Miami is a HUGE market. GT in Atlanta is a HUGE market. Both those schools bring in HIGH academics too, so it's like double dipping. They both have a deep history too. Both those schools bring WAY more to the table in all aspects than Stanford or Baylor do in my opinion.

The Big Ten is positioning itself to be far more profitable than the SEC when it comes to tv money (the biggest part of the big football programs income now). The SEC is regional. They aren't even trying to tap into any other region but the South at this point. The Big Ten could have a footprint over most of the United States (at least most of the top 15 tv markets). That will allow them to pay HUGE amounts of money to each of the schools. Money often = better programs. We'll see what they do, but from a financial and recruiting perspective, Miami and GT are right in the middle of areas that often have the best prospects in the country and have HUGE tv markets.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten doesn't need academics though. It's about market share. Miami is a HUGE market. GT in Atlanta is a HUGE market. Both those schools bring in HIGH academics too, so it's like double dipping.

The Big Ten is positioning itself to be far more profitable than the SEC when it comes to tv money (the biggest part of the big football programs income now). The SEC is regional. They aren't even trying to tap into any other region but the South at this point. The Big Ten could have a footprint over most of the United States (at least most of the top 15 tv markets). That will allow them to pay HUGE amounts of money to each of the schools. Money often = better programs. We'll see what they do, but from a financial and recruiting perspective, Miami and GT are right in the middle of areas that often have the best prospects in the country and have HUGE tv markets.
fair points all around, I'm just trying to be a traditionalist within this new world of expansion. I love how the B1G can still tout its academic prowess just as much as it can its athletics. At the end of the day, these are educational institutions and I would hate for them to throw that facade out the window for an unmitigated money grab. B1G should be able to have their cake and eat it too, so long as they play their cards right.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair points all around, I'm just trying to be a traditionalist within this new world of expansion. I love how the B1G can still tout its academic prowess just as much as it can its athletics. At the end of the day, these are educational institutions and I would hate for them to throw that facade out the window for an unmitigated money grab. B1G should be able to have their cake and eat it too, so long as they play their cards right.

Well GT and Miami would fit in better than just about any academic institution the B1G could acquire (although Stanford is probably top 10). I imagine they are both top 50 academic institutions in regards to schools with legitimate football institutions.

I hope the whole "academic prowess" thing doesn't hold the B1G back though. They have a chance to make a play at becoming and NFL type player in college football (and other sports) by actually having a nationwide conference. Go after the best schools in each region, and build it up from there. It's proven that big time athletics brings in money and students. That will benefit both the academic side and the financial side.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well GT and Miami would fit in better than just about any academic institution the B1G could acquire (although Stanford is probably top 10). I imagine they are both top 50 academic institutions in regards to schools with legitimate football institutions.

I hope the whole "academic prowess" thing doesn't hold the B1G back though. They have a chance to make a play at becoming and NFL type player in college football (and other sports) by actually having a nationwide conference. Go after the best schools in each region, and build it up from there. It's proven that big time athletics brings in money and students. That will benefit both the academic side and the financial side.

Realistic B1G or SEC targets. Just one academic list, but I believe this source has been fairly reputable over the years.

Obviously, you can dig deeper and some schools rank higher than others in various areas.

Stanford #3
ND #18
Cal #20
UVA #25
UNC #29
GT #44
FSU/Miami #55
Pitt/VT #62
NCSt #72
Clemson #77

Last edited:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe NCSt, VT, FSU, are the only non AAU schools.

Of that list on R & D expend, which SHOULD be typically a good indicator (among other things) of an AAU membership/worthiness of an invite. I know there are alot of things to consider, but not sure why Miami and ND were invited this year? Obviously both great schools, not sure what separates them drastically from the others..

Stanford #9
UNC #13
Pitt #18
GT#20
Cal #32
UVA #48
NCSt #53
VT # 54
Miami #75
FSU #83
ND #106
Clemson #107

Last edited:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found some more info, probably as to why these schools are left out of AAU.
Foster is correct, more to do with politics than not. I will leave it at that.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that SDSU had reached out to the 4 PAC schools and some of the top programs of the MWC to guage interest in a plan create a rebuilt PAC conference, but the MWC teams didn't want to pursue it. This is probably the last nail in things. The 4 schools will have to join other conferences to survive. Stanford could attempt to go independent, but they lack something like the NBC situation with ND. If the Big12 is done forsure, the only options I see for OSU and WSU is the MWC.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Realistic B1G or SEC targets. Just one academic list, but I believe this source has been fairly reputable over the years.

Obviously, you can dig deeper and some schools rank higher than others in various areas.

Stanford #3
ND #18
Cal #20
UVA #25
UNC #29
GT #44
FSU/Miami #55
Pitt/VT #62
NCSt #72
Clemson #77
That's what I had seen. I put GT and Miami in the top 50 of academic schools if you only counted schools with legitimate football programs.

If I could hand choose schools based on geography for the B1G (which is what would make them the most money with legit football programs), I would probably choose:

Miami
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
UNC (Charlotte)
Oklahoma St (Oklahoma City)

I would take both Clemson and Florida St solely on their sports departments.

An argument could be made for UVA (DC area), and obviously Notre Dame (huge fan base). I don't think I'd like either though, especially Notre Dame. I feel like they may be a "high maintenance" program. They've had too many years of doing things their way to join a conference at this point.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I had seen. I put GT and Miami in the top 50 of academic schools if you only counted schools with legitimate football programs.

If I could hand choose schools based on geography for the B1G (which is what would make them the most money with legit football programs), I would probably choose:

Miami
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
UNC (Charlotte)
Oklahoma St (Oklahoma City)

I would take both Clemson and Florida St solely on their sports departments.

An argument could be made for UVA (DC area), and obviously Notre Dame (huge fan base). I don't think I'd like either though, especially Notre Dame. I feel like they may be a "high maintenance" program. They've had too many years of doing things their way to join a conference at this point.
I gotcha, those would be some good options. Must be nice to have options (B1G/SEC!)

From a pure football perspective, I don’t see the media love for UVA over VT when speaking of going to these other conferences.The viewership numbers arent as good and people don’t go to their games, They are another Vanderbilt or Northwestern. UVA people don’t care about UVA football. Their football culture sucks and has for a long time.

VT is a much bigger football brand/TV draw as we have a rabid fan base. We have held on strong, even as Fuente ran this program into the ground.

Could UVA get there in the SEC or B1G?? Maybe. But they have no foundation, so it would take some time. My guess is they would sell out maybe the first year or two and then the fans would turn their backs after seeing them get crushed every week.

I know I’m a bit of a blind homer and I know these two conferences, certainly the B1G, are looking at the total package. I’m realistic. UVA is strong in other areas than football.
The media doesn’t seem to think so, but I’m not sure the SEC wouldn’t take VT over UVA IF they had to choose from the 2.

UNC and NCSt is a very similar dynamics, only NCSt isn’t as strong as VT in football over the last 30 years, and of course UNC and UVA basketball is not comparable.

Last edited:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this good/interesting article from a year or so ago. that looks at overall value. I’m not a big SI fan anymore, but Forde isn’t a fanboy writer, so I will take it as being pretty legit.

Overall value/desirability rankings for potential targets. Based on all sports/academics

16 Clemson
17 Stanford
19 FSU
22 UNC
25 Ok St/Miami
27 Iowa St (Really!!)
30 NC St
32 UVA
35 VT
45 Cal
54 GT
55 Louisville

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G's been playing patsy with Notre Flame for way too long... screw that
I remember betting that marijuana would be legal before ND ever considered joining the B1G.

puff puff, good call, eh?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G's been playing patsy with Notre Flame for way too long... screw that
I remember betting that marijuana would be legal before ND ever considered joining the B1G.

puff puff, good call, eh?
Word is they are very much in the conversation w/trying to get the ACC to invite Stanford and Cal.
ACC= Bootlickers

Reactions: H2S

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is they are very much in the conversation w/trying to get the ACC to invite Stanford and Cal.
ACC= Bootlickers
yeah, the ACC, w/out FSU (AAU membership isn't necessary any more - see Nebraska), Clemson and/or Miasma would be even more a cupcake conference... Domer Heaven.

Locke888

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see Stanford and ND added to the BIG and then the 4 five team pods created for easy scheduling.

Still hate this all. Regional conferences are best.

I would like to think that Maybe they are doing this to weed out the undesirables first then split back up into regions. Then we are left with 70-80 teams to make up a true D1 league.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the most Big Ten school out of the entire ACC is probably Syracuse: an overall good school academically, and has shitty midwestern-style weather.

Syracuse used to be in the AAU but got kicked out. Still, AAU membership is not actually a requirement from the BIG, it's just a preference. I think the whole thing is just a canard. It's a convenient way to say no to schools they don't like but wouldn't prevent certain schools from getting an invite if they were going to bring the money and check enough other boxes.

Academics and athletics are two entirely different things. Why are we still pretending?