• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Averagejoe completely agree. I'm interested to know how many different Oline combinations they had all season. With Montgomery going down early, Slausen going to and from G/C, RG flipping between a few different guys and Grasu missing time too. You add that to the WR injuries, Forte going down, Jay missing 6 quarters, and even Bennett missing time at the end of the year- the offense was anything but consistent with who was playing where. I'm confident that with some better health, another year in this system, K. White playing, we could be in for something special.
You add one or two pieces of talent- a FA Guard or Tackle? Flip Long back to his probowl guard spot? Maybe a cheap vet running back who can add to the workload-who knows...skies the limit.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think the team is in better shape than most may think.

But you guys probably have other ideas.
What does better shape then most think mean? Better then our record? Better then most fans think? How far away do you think we are from winning our division?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does better shape then most think mean? > I'm sad to see Matt go too. But you can't be nostalgic and expect to win in this league. I'm not denying the Bears have needs. But they're not all "glaring" needs, and they can be addressed in free agency and the draft. Pace (to me) seems like a guy that will try.

Better then our record? > Absolutely.

Better then most fans think?
> Since most casual fans are not as sharp as the guys on this board, again, absolutely. (That's not sarcasm either. You guys hit the Bears from every angle. Literally.)

How far away do you think we are from winning our division? > Personally, I think the Lions take a step back, particularly if Megatron doesn't change his mind about retirement. The Packers are still the team to beat, but they gave signs of regression last season. Vikes could be trouble, especially if Teddy improves. So yeah, we can challenge for the division this year. And the schedule seems to be in our favor too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a few issue's with Pace moving forward but overall I see light at the end of the tunnel. My thoughts are, with all the needs we have Pace keeps getting rid of top talent ( Forte/Marshal) then spends our top draft picks replacing them. Them draft picks could have been used on our needs area's. But now will be used to replace talent instead of adding talent. Also we got the QB situation. Were building a team with a old QB that will need to be replaced. That will set us back a year or three before we contend for more then a division. I'm not knocking Jay here, it's about age with him. QB is the engine of the football machine and until we get that figured out the future is really hard to predict. Yes I could see us competing for the div next year, but the SB seems years away. I agree that Det is falling again and the Pack (AR) has proven human. MN looks like the team to beat moving forward.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think the team is in better shape than most may think.

Matt is gone, but was credited with 13 games last year. Seems he missed more time. Langford & Carey seem capable enough.
Alshon played in about 8 games. White had zero. Royal was credited with a mysterious 9 games. Marquess Wilson And Martellus each missed 5 games. All of the receivers ('cept for Jeffery) were out-played by Mariani.

I guess my point is, it's tough to have an offense when you have no offensive weapons, and the revolving door to the injury report is constantly moving.

Sign a FA for the O-line, bring in some vets for depth at RB & WR. And then focus on a long-term QB and defense in the draft. But you guys probably have other ideas.

Never saw what they wanted with Royal, but Marquis Wilson not only missed 5 games, he really only showed up for 5 of the 11 he played. Pretty much tells you that when he was the top target in this patchwork offensive receiver corps, he did not do much, well not til week 16 after Mariani became a "threat" since Jay finally trusted throwing him the ball. It goes back to Jay being "comfortable" with the receiver before he trusts them enough to get the ball in their area. One of the pet peeves. Marshall was gone after Jay and he stopped seeing eye to eye. Losing Forte is going to hurt.

If Bennett is let go, I would not mind seeing what Vernon Davis could do for this team. Really did not fit with the Broncos, but sure handed guy if Jay can hit him in stride. Yeah, older guy, looking at his future, but man he tore us up normally.