• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we all know, we have a good chunk of money that we can spend this off-season. Even after a potential deal bringing Jeffery back, we're still left with a good chunk of change. This could lead to a very interesting free agency period, come early March.

Historically, I am not a fan of going wild in free agency, and strongly believe throwing huge chunks of cash at the biggest names you can find (ala Emery in 2014) is silly. Under Emery, I would be afraid of that happening. However, under Pace, I believe we will be a bit less impulsive. However... that isn't to say I am against being aggressive. I think this defense has some pieces, and is more close to being good than a lot realize.

I think the Wilkerson's and Von Miller's of the world, are a tad to pricey for my liking... if they even hit the open market, that is. I know Miller has a relationship with Fox, but he is going to roughly run you what Suh got in Miami, and IMO... having two 100+ million dollar contracts on the books (Cutler) is not a winning recipe for a team.

Who is a guy you'd like to see the Bears go out and get?

I personally think Malik Jackson is a guy who flies a little under the radar, and also fits our scheme. Playing in the same defense as Ware, Miller, Talib, Harris etc... He doesn't get as much attention as he probably should. Meaning, I think he could be a pretty cost-effective addition.

We also need some help up front offensively, where Cordy Glenn (pricey) and Andre Smith (risky, but not as pricey) spring to mind.

Pace and Fox both hinted in their post-season pressers that they were going to be aggressive towards winning next season, this off-season. I would love to see us bring in a guy like Malik Jackson, and also attack the draft defensively in the first round. Bringing in a big time ILB prospect in the first round, and then also getting us the help we need up front offensively just after that.

Goldman at the nose, Willie/McPhee coming off of the edge, Houston, along with a guy like Jackson and a big time rookie LB on the inside. All of the sudden, this front seven is looking pretty fierce in it's second year under Fangio.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting we get a bunch mid level players instead of one or two big name guys. Really hard to predict much this early. I also think we'll address def in FA and draft O players. Gut feeling there. I see us drafting QB RB WR in rounds 1 thru 5.

C

cubzzzfanincali

the potential pool isn't fixed yet, but even from what we can see now and from all the potential cuts this year there may be some pretty rich hunting. I like Malik Jackson, but after what just happened, he will not be a bargain, he will get overpaid. All SB FAs get overpaid, and SB FAs that had good Super Bowls usually get overpaid by a lot. Not because I think they are bad, but I'd prefer we avoid any Broncos this offseason given the $$/value they will command.

The two guys who I most want us to sign, but only if price works and it may not, are Damon Harrison and Ryan Schrader. Harrison would be a huge upgrade to our DL rotation, and even though I know the team says Long is our RT, it would be great if they old sign Shrader and move Kyle back to RG.

On the O line, if Pitt does not lock him up, I'd like us to grab Beachum. Jeff Allen or Incognito would also work for me on the interior. On the D side, I would like to see us aggressively go after Sean Smith or Boykin. Jaye Howard would be another one I would shoot for, upgrade that 3-4 DE spot a bit. Not totally opposed to Iloka or Gipson at S.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sick of free agents getting prime dollars, yes, we need playmakers now, but we still need a really strong draft and continue to build thru the organization. I really like Goldman, but the normal DT lasts about 3 years in this league. After seeing that speed off the edge of the broncos, thats what it takes to disrupt passing games. Ware is a special player doing that at 33. Not a big fan of our safeties. I hate the dirty safeties, but gotta like the pops and good solid hits to knock the ball loose back there. At least, get your shoulder down and make that running back stop without reaching the ball out two or three more yards after they are tackled to get a first down.

C

cubzzzfanincali

well AI, if you look at the guys I would like to see them get, all of them (except Incognito, who I would only sign for a one year deal) are younger FAs that think should be long-tem contract targets. They are also not top dollar big name guys who we would be overpaying (see for example my comments on Jackson). Shraeder might be borderline....I wouldn't advise signing him if he gets very expensive, but he's the kind of guy we would benefit from - mainly I think because we could move our best drafted guy (Long) back where he belongs.

Sure, we need to draft well, I think everyone agrees. But we are so bereft of hi-end talent on this roster, if we are hoping to compete seriously sometime in the next 3 years, we are going to need more than the draft. I don't see any reason why using the abundant cap space we have to secure some solid talent over the next few years isn't good and necessary. It's going to take all of it: good cap management, good free agent signings, and good drafts.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, does this mean you are against giving AJ prime dollars?

Should have been extended last year, that was one of emerys faults too, paying retail when they could go anywhere instead of getting it done wholesale. Do I think Jeffrey will survive the hits the Bmarsh took his entire career? no. I doubt he earns a big contract. He will get paid, I dont think he will earn it.

But I do not really compare OUR free agents to the raping and pillaging players who have never been a chicago bear definition of free agents. The only way to consider the team is building thru the draft is by keeping their players around.

C

cubzzzfanincali

But I do not really compare OUR free agents to the raping and pillaging players who have never been a chicago bear definition of free agents. The only way to consider the team is building thru the draft is by keeping their players around.

I never realized that the highest quality players available were guys who had only worn a Bears jersey before. But now I understand why you differentiate the two. I guess that explains all of our Super Bowls.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our free agents, other teams free agents. What else do you need to differentiate the two?

You consider all of them free agents then you must agree with building thru free agency. At least signing your own makes one think thats building thru our organization.

I dont know about Jeffrey. Its a weak receiver bunch of free agents this year. I dont know if he could not play last year due to his injuries or if he didnt think it was worth risking further injury for a measly 1.4 million. This year he should be making 7-800k per game.

C

cubzzzfanincali

it is not an "either/or". We need both. The very few teams that only build through the draft are teams with long-term stability in the front office and coaching staffs. Otherwise, "place a premium on signing your own guys" has no value. There's no special premium on guys that have worn one uniform or another in a system that's been changing, except that it pleases some of the more simpleton fans. Green Bay and Pittsburgh are really the two examples teams that have built only through the draft (more or less), but does the Bears situation remind you in ANY way of those two teams?

Ryan Pace - it should be obvious to everyone by now - has different ideas about the kinds of guys to build teams around than his predecessors. Thank goodness. Guys you can place the franchise tag on are nice because as a front office you have some extra negotiating power over, but that's it. It's how that translates into long-term uses of the salary cap. There is zero...I repeat ZERO inherent reason to pay AJ more than, say, TY Hilton or Demaryius Thomas (imperfect comparisons though approximately similar value WRs) simply because he wore a Bear jersey playing for different coaches and coodinators. Using the cap to lock him in at a slightly lower long term price than his open market price is a good reason, but that's about it.

And the non-tag types of guys, really there's nothing there. Hey where were all the "sign your draft picks" people when Conte and Wright were left bolt? Exactly. Nowhere to be found. They didn't have any special reason to be kept - overpaying even just a little - even though they were Bears. They would have had more value on a team that had some continuity...knowing the system and such, but that's not this team. For all the PR every offseason we hear about the Bears not changing systems, the fact of the matter is that the systems have changed virtually every single year on both sides of the ball, sometimes in major ways.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering our poor draft history, we need a combination of both like cubzzz is mentioning. I don't like it. Exactly why we've had so many GM's of late. The Bears like every team, need to draft well and coach the kids up well. But, in the mean time, we have a LOT of holes to fill immediately with starters, sadly.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyles brother Chris was released by the rams.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow the Rams, but he's been a good player, no?

C

cubzzzfanincali

guy has had a lot of trouble with injuries the last couple seasons. Plus he's really not the kind of DE we need.

C

cubzzzfanincali

hmm, NFL Network is reporting they are considering letting Jeffery walk. I assume this is just a negotiating tactic, where the Bears are not trying to let Jeffery get too comfortable with his fallback option if he doesn't sign a long term deal. If so, it's a good use of franchise tag negotiating leverage. I'd be a little surprised if we let him just walk for nothing.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alshon Jeffery Career Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

these are his game logs.

You look at the numbers of those career games and how he followed them up. 249 yard game followed by 83, 72, not breaking 100 the rest of the year. 2014 136 yard game followed by 9 with the same 7 targets. Dont know if that plays into the decision if they do not sign him. Question is, do you want Jay to have 4 4 million dollar options or one 14 million and scrubs again.

*edit* sorry averagejoe, did not see your post, this one had an alert.

C

cubzzzfanincali

STRICTLY by the numbers, AJ is not worth the franchise tag price. He's a very good NFL receiver, but not an elite one. His open market price should come in a bit lower, and no doubt whatever the Bears are offering is there, this is probably a dispute over how much to guarantee.

However, AJ represents value to the Bears in a way that has to do with more than just his on-field production. He buys us time to see what we have in Kevin White. If we knew what we had in White, I would be a lot more comfortable seeing AJ walk.

But we don't.

If AJ walks and White doesn't pan out, the talent-poor Bears are now a skeleton at yet another position group. I'm not just talking 2016, I mean the medium future too. AJ at least gives us some known talent at that position until we can see what we have. I think that's worth overpaying him with the tag or even a bit more in a long term contract as well.

I have to believe that the public talk is just adding some pressure to Jeffery and his agent to agree with what they have on the table. If they actually let him go, I will be really surprised.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow the Rams, but he's been a good player, no?

good player, one of the captains too I believe. Sure would be nice for Howie to just have to pay attention to one other team per week, especially with Terry leaving this year.

I still think there is an opportunity to mix and match this defense. Any player like Chris Long that would line up at multiple positions and produce would help. He is only 275, so really a tweener for a 3-4, but seriously, how many times are we sick of watching big men falling into coverage and the safety or cb the one blitzing and rushing the qb?

Anyway, I guess I would feel better about these brothers getting together than the Bennett brothers.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think the team is in better shape than most may think.

Matt is gone, but was credited with 13 games last year. Seems he missed more time. Langford & Carey seem capable enough.
Alshon played in about 8 games. White had zero. Royal was credited with a mysterious 9 games. Marquess Wilson And Martellus each missed 5 games. All of the receivers ('cept for Jeffery) were out-played by Mariani.

I guess my point is, it's tough to have an offense when you have no offensive weapons, and the revolving door to the injury report is constantly moving.

Sign a FA for the O-line, bring in some vets for depth at RB & WR. And then focus on a long-term QB and defense in the draft. But you guys probably have other ideas.