• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency Review - GRADES

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the problem some people have with describing downfield passes as a strength and then talking about sideline passes, which are one of the hardest passes to do, implies that it's a strength, too (though I know that was NOT your intent). It makes it sound like Kaep has already gone through the hurdle of learning how to do that in the NFL and doing it. It makes all the easier passes complete and therefore there's no shade of degrees to compare Smith and Kaep. I don't think anyone would have a problem if it were posed as a possibility that it's his strength. I'd even go as far as to say we need to play him to see if he can.

The truth is there are very few QBs that can do that consistently and even fewer would do that with an emphasis not to turn the ball over. I don't know that Smith could do it, I'd lean towards that it's unlikely, consistently. But I do think it's mental more than physical and mental can do some harm. In other words, I trust Smith more when he has to throw that throw, because then the emphasis is on taking risk for reward and then we see it. You did say that he *could* make the pass. I think he doesn't do it because he is too tentative, not too unskilled. That IS a problem, if he can't overcome that with Moss and Mannigham, he's a liability, IMO. I am not blaming Harbaugh, because Harbaugh will call fewer of those passes if Smith hasn't demonstrated a willingness to trust his arm. Why waste a down? It's also probable that Smith hasn't completed many passes in practice of those plays consistently.

But I don't think Alex's weaknesses are relevant to Kaep's strengths, only to the FO's motivations - which this conversation has strayed away from. I truly believe that these moves were an eye to this season - as Moss is only signed for one year and Manningham is only signed for two -it's conceivable that Smith plays well enough to keep the job in 2013, but not 2014(?). Then, if Kaep outplays Smith in the offseason/preseason, then we can move on without saying, "well, now we need more receivers." I think this is a football move and the coaches will play whoever is better overall. They have an idea but don't know what Alex/Colin will do.

Win/win, sink or swim, that's how I view this season. I have enough trust in Kaep to not worry, but I believe Smith will improve again this year - simply because I see no legitimate excuses this year. If I hear someone defend him by talking about the Manning ordeal, I swear I'm going to throw something at my computer. That, should make him better (let loose, play as if Kaep is on his neck, plus second season in same offense with great coaches, and more confidence (in himself, not necessarily the org.), despite the Manning pursuit.).

I think the team is trying to put together the best team they can for next year and the years to come. The FO did not give Smith a tremendous vote of confidence this season. They went after Peyton Manning hard, and they gave Smith a deal that they could end at almost any time (obviously they won't end it this year). Combined with some moves that appear geared toward stretching the defense, I get the sense that the team is still quite optimistic about Kaepernick and very possibly/probably sees him as the QB of the future.

Before moving to this forum, I was one of Smith's staunchest defenders on ESPN. I constantly engaged Cazic et. al, probably more than any other poster. Now that those posters are gone, I think we see several people on the other extreme when it comes to Smith. I think Smith has some mental hangups. If we can get over them, I still believe he can be a very good NFL QB. But he's been broken down for so long, I don't know if he'll ever get there. I assure you, nothing would make me happier, though.

Again, I made an offhand comment that was probably an overstatement. It happens sometimes. I still believe, based on what I have seen of both guys, that Kaepernick has more potential as a downfield passer than Smith. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll probably know within a few years.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they went hard after manning when smith didn't sign what was offered to him...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

There is some truth to that, but what they offered Smith was a deal they could get out of easily. Word is he got a slightly better deal than they originally offered, and they can still get out of this deal without much of a hit at all after one season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The reality is that if Baalke or Harbaugh believed Smith was absolutely the QB of the future, they would have been more than happy to lock him up for 5+ years. Instead, they gave him three that could be as short as one. Now, maybe they're still hopeful he'll continue to grow. I'd imagine Harbaugh is at the very least. But that contract was not exactly a strong showing of confidence IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The nature of a forum of this type of forum is that overstatement occurs. We all do it. I try to read through my posts before I post them, but I don't always scrutinize them, and as such I occasionally overstate my position. Often I realize that after doing it, but often it is after I can edit my posts. And I have now acquired a little friend who likes to follow me around and nitpick the handful of overstatements I make in hundreds of posts.

Kaepernick has a very strong arm. One of the strongest in the NFL right now. Because of that, deep threats play to his strengths more than Smith's. As said, I still stand by that statement.

ok true, WE all do it even when we didn't intend too. regarding your "little friend", there's only two threads going on so don't have this impression?

if you just say Kap has a stronger arm than Alex Smith, don't think anyone will argue otherwise? but your statement is going beyond this, and hence the rebuttal. for me this 'statement' isn't a big deal cause i took it as having a stronger arm, nothing more.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is some truth to that, but what they offered Smith was a deal they could get out of easily. Word is he got a slightly better deal than they originally offered, and they can still get out of this deal without much of a hit at all after one season.

The reality is that if Baalke or Harbaugh believed Smith was absolutely the QB of the future, they would have been more than happy to lock him up for 5+ years. Instead, they gave him three that could be as short as one. Now, maybe they're still hopeful he'll continue to grow. I'd imagine Harbaugh is at the very least. But that contract was not exactly a strong showing of confidence IMO.

Based on what I've heard is that what they offered him was less than what he eventually signed and structured differently. Someone said that it was backup money for the three years (3M/Y) with escalators if he was the starter (8M/starting year) with 3 Million in incentives, 8 million quaranteed. (2M dead money, I suppose, in the third year). I wouldn't sign that if I were him at that moment.

This contract is 8 million guaranteed this year, 1 million quaranteed next year. Then if he's on the roster at this time next year, 7.5 guaranteed. The rest in the third year. He has incentives to max out at 33 million total. This way, if he's not the starter, he's released, essentially, to try and start or backup elsewhere. Otherwise, he'd be stuck as a 3M backup for three years.

Alex said the hangup on the contract was the structure. This would explain why he didn't sign the previous offer. And this explains why the previous offer was not taken off the table when Manning was pursued. They could afford Manning and a 3M backup.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they'd be stupid to give him anything more than what he got. it was a fair deal given smith's performance.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL!!! The famous "try and keep up" comment from Clyde the Loser -

I thought you were supposed to the be the college guru around these parts - hell you are just as dumb with college as you are with the NFL!

Here are a few more comments about Colin's accuracy and there are plenty more out there - if you are smart enough to find them, thus from you, I'm sure they are safe.

He may have the arm to play in a vertical passing offense which requires a cannon arm for the deep passing game, but does he have the accuracy?

"...he [Kaepernick] can still be described as nothing more than a quarterback with average accuracy at best."

"Needs more work on accuracy, especially deep accuracy"

The point is there are plenty of articles that tell of Colin's accuracy while in motion and on the short stuff but overall he came out of college with a question mark above his ability to throw the accurate deep ball. If you knew anything about college football you would have known this. Clearly you’re a phony

So, here is an idea, idiot how you "try and keep up" for a change.

Yeah, I knew you'd appreciate it, MW. Now if you'd stop stalking Crimson at every point you'd reduce the amount of times you've pegged yourself in a defenseless corner.

I'm not gonna sit here and search the internet for scouting reports of Kap. You posted them, you can post the links. Just because he wasn't Andrew Luck accurate doesn't mean he's inaccuracies are "well documented". Alex's inaccuracies are well documented. Kap's, if anything, are unknown.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I knew you'd appreciate it, MW. Now if you'd stop stalking Crimson at every point you'd reduce the amount of times you've pegged yourself in a defenseless corner.

I'm not gonna sit here and search the internet for scouting reports of Kap. You posted them, you can post the links. Just because he wasn't Andrew Luck accurate doesn't mean he's inaccuracies are "well documented". Alex's inaccuracies are well documented. Kap's, if anything, are unknown.

Clyde, Bem is not me, but believe what you want.

Judging from what I have read, the only one's pegged into a corner in this thread are you and Crimson. This thread demonstrates a lot of ignorance on both of your parts from a tactical football knowledge standpoint as well as to what has been printed in the media.

While ignorance and arrogance are right in Crimsons wheel-house, I am respectfully surprised to see your endorsement if his ignorance.