• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so with FA pending who do we resign and who we let go. Hardy is going to cost a premieum

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk - need to dig up a list. But I guess we've got a big decision looming with lafell, too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gross, Ginn and Bell are FA too, as well as Mitchel, Munnerlyn, Florance, and ummm quite a few actually lol

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Gano a FA? He definitely needs to be re-signed!

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gross, Ginn and Bell are FA too, as well as Mitchel, Munnerlyn, Florance, and ummm quite a few actually lol

I'd really like to hold on to Ginn, and Mitchell, sorta halfway on Captain (I've read that he's willing to take another 1-year deal). Gross is gettin' up there, and I think it's gonna come down to the price. Florence is an expendable part of our db-by-committee, but they'll probably hang on to him, if he's not making outrageous demands, or anything.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the big problem i see is we are what? 11 Mil under the Cap and we got 21 Free Agents..

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can Franchise Tag Hardy (I think that will cost us about 12 million) and hopefully work out a long term deal from there. But we have to think long term. Not only Hardy this year, but Cam next year (there is a 5th year option and the franchise tag as well). Luke is up after that, then Star and Short the following year. Every one of them is going to want to get paid. I think Gettleman is going to have to get some contracts restructured (Johnson, DeAngleo, Stewart, come to mind). There are some obvious choices to let go, Clausen for example. And some we could keep if the price is right like Wharton and Hangartner.

Gross has said, if he plays another year it will be for Carolina. Hopefully we can get him for 1 more year at a bargin price. Even if we get a top T in the draft Gross' leadership will be tough to replace. I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, if Beason signs a new deal with anyone that can get his dead money off our books. That will help a lot. Munnerlyn may have played too well for us to keep, meaning some other team may offer him too much to turn down. Let's not forget Godfrey, he was on IR, do we keep him or no? Mithchell played very well in his place.

In the end, I think we will find a way to keep Hardy. We will then have to get role players on short term deals.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can Franchise Tag Hardy (I think that will cost us about 12 million) and hopefully work out a long term deal from there. But we have to think long term. Not only Hardy this year, but Cam next year (there is a 5th year option and the franchise tag as well). Luke is up after that, then Star and Short the following year. Every one of them is going to want to get paid. I think Gettleman is going to have to get some contracts restructured (Johnson, DeAngleo, Stewart, come to mind). There are some obvious choices to let go, Clausen for example. And some we could keep if the price is right like Wharton and Hangartner.

Gross has said, if he plays another year it will be for Carolina. Hopefully we can get him for 1 more year at a bargin price. Even if we get a top T in the draft Gross' leadership will be tough to replace. I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, if Beason signs a new deal with anyone that can get his dead money off our books. That will help a lot. Munnerlyn may have played too well for us to keep, meaning some other team may offer him too much to turn down. Let's not forget Godfrey, he was on IR, do we keep him or no? Mithchell played very well in his place.

In the end, I think we will find a way to keep Hardy. We will then have to get role players on short term deals.

I think Hardy might be gone. Would def like to see Mitchell come back - brings the physicality. Beason counts 8 mil against the Cap, so what you're saying would be great, if accurate. As far as stewart goes, Hurney really buried a mine for us, on that one. I got this from another site:

Both Williams and Stewart have already had to restructure their deals to create cap space, but that just adds dead money to Carolina's cap in the future. Even worse, while Carolina might want to get rid of the two, it doesn't make economic sense to do so. Williams would make $6 million to play for the team next year, but Carolina would eat a $9.6 million dead money charge to cut him. Stewart, meanwhile, will make $5.5 million to play for Carolina or cost a staggering $18 million on their cap if they were to get rid of him. When Stewart's cap hit rises to $8.5 million in 2014, his dead money figure only falls to $12.7 million. The Panthers, on Stewart's current deal, can't even think about cutting him until 2016.

:L f u Marty. What an incompetent.

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hardy might be gone. Would def like to see Mitchell come back - brings the physicality. Beason counts 8 mil against the Cap, so what you're saying would be great, if accurate. As far as stewart goes, Hurney really buried a mine for us, on that one. I got this from another site:

:L f u Marty. What an incompetent.

I still think we will find some way to keep Hardy.:hope: Franchise him to keep the other teams away then work out something long term. This offseason is going to be a real test of Gettleman's Management Skills. If we let Godfrey go he will count 5 mil against the cap in dead money. A trade, even if we only get a late round pick would work better for us. I really am not sure about Beason. We are going to be letting some good players go, I just hope it's not our best players.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was depressing - right off the top of my head, Gano was gold this year. Anderson is a solid backup who knows our system. Ginn had a good year, and brings a new dimension to the STs, but is this a guy you make a multi-year commitment, to? Lafell is good for a drop a game, is a solid blocker, but is he ever going to be a #1? I don't think so - the draft may determine his fate. Wharton will be cheap, I've heard that Captain will take another 1-year, but it would probably come down to whether he's going to get a better offer this time around (he doesn't cover that great, but has been solid in run support). The Gross situation is a very important and complicated one, for the future of the OL.

We have a couple guards coming off IR, including the controversial pick from last year, Kulbiga (Silatolu the other one - if we had taken Alshon J, we wouldn't be having a lot of conversations about the WR situation).

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was depressing - right off the top of my head, Gano was gold this year. Anderson is a solid backup who knows our system. Ginn had a good year, and brings a new dimension to the STs, but is this a guy you make a multi-year commitment, to? Lafell is good for a drop a game, is a solid blocker, but is he ever going to be a #1? I don't think so - the draft may determine his fate. Wharton will be cheap, I've heard that Captain will take another 1-year, but it would probably come down to whether he's going to get a better offer this time around (he doesn't cover that great, but has been solid in run support). The Gross situation is a very important and complicated one, for the future of the OL.

We have a couple guards coming off IR, including the controversial pick from last year, Kulbiga (Silatolu the other one - if we had taken Alshon J, we wouldn't be having a lot of conversations about the WR situation).

Gano is another priority to sign, but kickers don't get paid that much, 1.5-2 mil a year. Anderson we should keep, but I don't know how many other teams will be interested. He was a FA last year and had no real takers. (Remember, he thought he could go to Cleveland with Chud) We should be able to get him for not much more than he makes now. Pretty much a wash against the cap. Ginn has been our best return man since Rod Smart. He makes a good #3 and has shown he is willing to take hits and block. LaFell is at best a decent #2 and showed this year why he will never be a #1. Captain did not have too many takers last year but he looked better this year. Other teams may have taken notice. Gross may be willing to sign for cheap, just to have one more shot at a SB. Guard, is one position we really should not have to worry about.

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw on one site, we are projected to be about 15 million under the upcoming cap.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers DE Greg Hardy says contract situation hasn't changed | CharlotteObserver.com

“It’s a waiting process,” Hardy said. “They’ve got to get the budget right.”

The Panthers could opt to use the franchise tag on Hardy for about $12 million for the 2014 season. But given what general manager Dave Gettleman called the Panthers’ salary “cap-challenged” situation, and the fact that this is the first time they’ve been able to negotiate with quarterback Cam Newton on an extension, the Panthers could let Hardy walk.

“It’s a reality of football. It’s a reality of business,” Hardy said. “They’ve got the ball in their court right now. If that’s what they choose to do, nothing but respect and love. Carolina’s my home. But I’ve got to go back to work. I’d rather be here if I can. But if not, it’s just business.”

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the odds are increasing that Hardy will be gone. rumor has it he is looking for a contract in the range on Johnsons. i dont see us being able to do that. in all honesty we shouldnt have given that to Johnson. so it looks like Horton, Addison, and Alexander will be compeeteing for the DE spot.

to be honest Hardy kinda scares me, anyone else notice how 11 of his sacks came in 3 games this year?

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the odds are increasing that Hardy will be gone. rumor has it he is looking for a contract in the range on Johnsons. i dont see us being able to do that. in all honesty we shouldnt have given that to Johnson. so it looks like Horton, Addison, and Alexander will be compeeteing for the DE spot.

to be honest Hardy kinda scares me, anyone else notice how 11 of his sacks came in 3 games this year?

I've also heard that the market has softened, especially for DE's. We overpaid for Johnson, of that there is no doubt but outside of QB's how many really huge contracts (60 mil+) are teams giving out anymore? I heard we offered Hardy around 32 mil for around 5 years after last season. The going rate for DE's seems to be in the mid 40's over 6 years. Hardy should get more but he's not going to get anywhere close to Johnson's money (6 years 72 mil). If Hardy keeps looking for that kind of money he is going to be really disappointed.Teams just aren't paying that for a DE. We need to see if we can restructure Johnson's deal for some cap relief.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bold: yes, I've heard the same thing, and agree that it's unlikely we can do it, with having so many other bit-player FA's out there to account for, too. I think it's one of those situations where we can keep 4-5 guys who can help us out, in some capacity, on the D side, or give a bloated contract to 1 DE. Here's another article about the situation, from Gettleman's POV:

During an interview with Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer, General Manager Dave Gettleman played it close to his vest when asked about the chances that will happen. Gettleman called Hardy “part of the puzzle” and that “we’ll see” if that part remains in the puzzle moving forward.

“I got to watch 17 games worth of stuff, but he’s obviously a presence,” Gettleman said. “Anybody can see that. It’s part of it. We’ve got to evaluate the whole thing and then come up with a plan.”

The Panthers would likely prefer a long-term deal and the short-term cap space that can be built into it to a franchise tag for Hardy, especially as they continue to clean up the cap mess that Gettleman inherited when he took the job last year. Cleaning that up at the expense of having Hardy applying pressure to quarterbacks doesn’t do much to help the Panthers on the field, though, and that’s why it is a good bet that Gettleman’s evaluation will lead Carolina to choose one of those options over letting Hardy walk as a free agent.

I disagree with their conclusion, based on the price involved, and don't think they're reading Gettleman's quote quite properly.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also heard that the market has softened, especially for DE's. We overpaid for Johnson, of that there is no doubt but outside of QB's how many really huge contracts (60 mil+) are teams giving out anymore? I heard we offered Hardy around 32 mil for around 5 years after last season. The going rate for DE's seems to be in the mid 40's over 6 years. (1) Hardy should get more but he's not going to get anywhere close to Johnson's money (6 years 72 mil). (2) If Hardy keeps looking for that kind of money he is going to be really disappointed.Teams just aren't paying that for a DE. We need to see if we can restructure Johnson's deal for some cap relief.
(1) I hope not - sometimes you just got to let dude walk. GH has had a lot of success, but that's at least partly a result of being part of such a talented unit, especially the increased stuffing ability with our middle three (DT's/Luke).
(2) IDK, that's a hit-or-miss thing. Look at the Skins paying Haynesworth the way they did.

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) I hope not - sometimes you just got to let dude walk. GH has had a lot of success, but that's at least partly a result of being part of such a talented unit, especially the increased stuffing ability with our middle three (DT's/Luke).
(2) IDK, that's a hit-or-miss thing. Look at the Skins paying Haynesworth the way they did.

I should have said on the high end of the going rate, around 46 million. And there are some creative ways to spread that money out to reduce the cap hit. Still, restructuring Johnson's contract will be a major help going forward. Not just this year but for the next several years.