• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inside the Panthers

The Carolina Panthers general manager reiterated Thursday that Hardy, who tied a team record with 15 sacks last season, is part of the Panthers puzzle that includes 21 unrestricted free agents.

“Well basically right now we’re talking to agents. He’s part of the puzzle. We’re cap-challenged,” said Gettleman when asked about the defensive end. “Last year we started we were quite a bit over. We had to do some maneuvering to get under before the first day of the league year. The progress we’ve made this year is we don’t have to do any of that. But that doesn’t mean we’re sitting here with $35 million under the cap. So if you always go for the immediate instant gratification, you’re going to get burned.”

Should the salary cap go up to its reported $130 million, the Panthers would have $19.6 million in cap space. The cap was expected to be $126.3 million, but recent projections have pushed that number to $130 million.

The instant gratification Gettleman is referring to is either signing Hardy to a significant long-term deal or using the franchise tag, which would be approximately $12.5 million—nearly two-thirds of the team’s available cap space.

Bolds: I think we're going to need Enron's CFO, to make those add up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it is going to be a tough and non exciting offseason

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inside the Panthers: New deal for Davis creates $3.25M in cap space

The Panthers created more than $3 million in salary cap space by restructuring veteran linebacker Thomas Davis' contract this month.

As reported last week, the Panthers picked up the two option years on Davis' deal, but they also added three voidable years on the contract, which now runs through 2018. That allows them to stretch the bonus money over the length of the contract for salary cap purposes.

Under the terms of the restructured contract, Davis received a $5 million bonus for signing the $16.5 million contract -- a figure that includes $1 million salaries for each of the three voidable seasons from 2016-2018.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i also read that we are now 29Million under the cap... i retract my previous statement

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but for what we would have had to pay Gross, a fair offer would have been in the 5 million range for 1 season, we could sign at least 2 good players.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but for what we would have had to pay Gross, a fair offer would have been in the 5 million range for 1 season, we could sign at least 2 good players.

Yeah, it ain't nothin' to shout about, though. I still don't think this dictates a choice of OT in round 1, and we'll still take BPA from WR/CB/OT.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no not in first, but it does mean we have to address it quicklyunless we are comfertable with guys on our team alread... anyone there that can play tackle?

we now have to replace our left and right tackle since Bell is a FA/ and ineffective... so it puts a bit of urgency in the situation...

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no not in first, but it does mean we have to address it quicklyunless we are comfertable with guys on our team alread... anyone there that can play tackle?

we now have to replace our left and right tackle since Bell is a FA/ and ineffective... so it puts a bit of urgency in the situation...

We have a several guys that can play Tackle, just none anywhere close to the level Gross played at. Chandler was actually Gross' backup until he had to play Guard. Wharton has some experience there as does Campbell and I think we have a couple of Tackles on the practice squad. There are some good FA's out there (Branden Albert, Anthony Collins, even Michael Oher is a FA). I saw that the Eagles resigned Jason Peters for $51 mil over 5 years and he is only a year younger than Gross. If that's the going rate for a top FA Tackle I don't see how we can afford one. If we draft a T he has to be ready to start from day one. The draft is deep at Tackle but once you get past the top 3, all of which are expected to be gone before we pick, there is a drop off and the chances of getting that sure fire rookie starter start going down. Gettleman has shown he is smart and can find talent. So maybe there is someone everyone else is overlooking or underestimating we can get.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a several guys that can play Tackle, just none anywhere close to the level Gross played at. Chandler was actually Gross' backup until he had to play Guard. Wharton has some experience there as does Campbell and I think we have a couple of Tackles on the practice squad. There are some good FA's out there (Branden Albert, Anthony Collins, even Michael Oher is a FA). I saw that the Eagles resigned Jason Peters for $51 mil over 5 years and he is only a year younger than Gross. If that's the going rate for a top FA Tackle I don't see how we can afford one. If we draft a T he has to be ready to start from day one. The draft is deep at Tackle but once you get past the top 3, all of which are expected to be gone before we pick, there is a drop off and the chances of getting that sure fire rookie starter start going down. Gettleman has shown he is smart and can find talent. So maybe there is someone everyone else is overlooking or underestimating we can get.

that is what i was saying, yest we have guys but are they anygood? Cambell? no i wouldnt hand him anything untill he earns it, Chandler is an option but im not sure how he is at tackle. so we need to address it somehow and some way is my point. plus Wharton is prolly gonna retire and he was not that great of a LT when he was younger thats why he moved inside.

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers just announced they are using the Franchise Tag on Hardy.

Panthers place franchise tag on Hardy

It's a non-exclusive franchise tag, so other teams can make offers and Carolina can either match or get 2 first round picks to give up Hardy. I'm glad the Kraken should be around another year but we need to get something long term worked out.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers just announced they are using the Franchise Tag on Hardy.

Panthers place franchise tag on Hardy

It's a non-exclusive franchise tag, so other teams can make offers and Carolina can either match or get 2 first round picks to give up Hardy. I'm glad the Kraken should be around another year but we need to get something long term worked out.

Hope we can make that work, with the other guys we have to bring in camp. But I hear there's going to be another (upward) revision of the cap.

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing the cap will go up to between $130 and $132 million. Even with that figured in the Panthers have used up about half their available cap space to sign 2 players. We still have 18 FA's to decide what to do with. I do believe we want to keep Smith but he will be asked to take a flat pay cut or rework his contract to make his cap number work better for the team, he counts $7 mil this year and $9 mil next. As much as I love Smith, you don't give that to a guy that will be 35 when the season starts. I don't know what Gettleman is going to do.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The four-year contract that Hardy signed as a rookie out of Mississippi in 2010 was set to expire March 11. The non-exclusive franchise designation, which each NFL team has the option to use on one player before the new league year begins each spring, gives Carolina a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to Hardy by another team.

(2) The Panthers would retain Hardy by matching the offer or would be compensated with two first-round draft picks if they didn't match. (1) As a part of the franchise tag, the Panthers must tender a minimum one-year qualifying offer of the average of the top five salaries from last season at Hardy's position or 120 percent of his 2010 salary, whichever is greater.
(1) So, I'm guessing that's going to be ~ 12.5 mil, for 1 year.
(2) The offer sheet would be for a longer-term deal, no? It would be insane to do that for 1 year, and give up 2 picks. Personally, I doubt anyone would give up that much anyway. I expect us to have him for a year, and we'll be paying the money.

I don't know what's going to happen with Smitty. The whole WR situation is a mess. They have to decide what to do with Lafell (as I've said before, don't think he's going to be a legit #1), and Ginn. There's the draft to consider - I don't see guys like Jordan Matthews and Allen Robinson as real value picks at our slot, and Gettleman is a BPA guy. Most of the elite wideouts will be gone then. It's a real puzzle, and I don't know what the solution is going to be.

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardy will count 13.1 million against this years cap. The Panthers are hoping to lock in a long term deal and maybe reduce that number this year.

For what it's worth, we released DJ Moore, he only played 2 games for us, and he was signed by Tampa Bay.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought we released Dj more during the season

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought we released Dj more during the season

I think it just seemed that way, since he was never out there.

We're in the hunt for Nicks, if the cash was available.
Hakeem Nicks - New York Giants - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Free agent Hakeem Nicks named the Colts, Panthers, and Chargers as teams he's interested in signing with.
"Ideally this is what I want: I want to go to a team where I'm the missing link," said Nicks, 26. "I know if I went to a place like Indianapolis I would be dangerous with a quarterback like Andrew Luck. I can see myself catching passes from Cam Newton or even Philip Rivers." Nicks stated his preference is "a long-term deal," but he's also open to one-year offers.
Colts are in a position similar to us, with Reggie Wayne being 35, except he's coming off knee surgery, to boot (so to speak).

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting Hangartner and Byers are retiring and Jordan Senn has signed with Chicago. I hate to see Senn go, he's been a great ST player but maybe he'll get a chance for a greater role with the Bears.