• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

International FA Analysis

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t LOVE the data I have been able to accumulate, but it is better than nothing. I will try to offer thoughts on what I find as I analyze the data…

Unfortunately, BBRef does not have international signings in any kind of filterable format (that I was able to find, at least). However, Spotrack has, at least, the signings in a filterable format. It doesn’t include any performance numbers, but at least they give the player, the signing team, the year and how much they signed for. I will need to do a lot of manual research to get any REAL info, so it isn’t that useful, but at least it can be a resource for looking at the players the Giants have signed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ghordy Santos - 300k - 23 yo in A+ and not really putting up good numbers. Too soon to close the book, but maybe time to eyeball some space on the shelf.

Ismael Alcantara - 300k - played at the complex in ‘19 at the age of 19. No sign of him since. Bust.

Alexander Canario - unk - Key piece of the Bryant trade. Looks to be hurt currently, but has put up good numbers in AAA this year for the Cubs. I would guess he will get his cuppo next year.

Andrew Caraballo - unk - last appeared at the complex in ‘21. Bust

Rafael Martinez - unk - last seen at the complex last year. Bust?

Small (documented) class with 1 player ready to make his MLB debut. Ignoring the fact that player is no longer in the org, getting 1 decent prospect out of a 600k (ish) investment isn’t bad. Enough? Who knows. But if we look at the international market as nothing but gravy, that isn’t bad.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jae-Gyun Hwang - 1.5M - Korean pro who only stayed in the states in ‘17. He played 18 games for SF and pretty much fell on his face. Bust.

Jean Peña - 300k - last appeared at the complex in ‘22. Bust?

Luis Toribio - 300k - currently in A+. Showing decent power, so there is an outside chance he could become something.

Yohan Polanco - 300k - last played for the Dominican Giants in ‘19. Bust.

Roberto Gomez - 160k - BBRef links him to an MLB vet who the Giants signed at the time. Not sure if BBRef is just not linking to another “Roberto Gomez” or if Spotrack is erroneously including non-amateur signings.

Ivan Alexander Armstrong - unk - Went to the Halos in ‘21 (trade?). Currently in AA, but he looks like he is just org depth.

Jesus Gomez - unk - last appeared at the complex in ‘21. BBRef doesn’t even have a record of him. Bust.

Toribio is a potential lower end prospect. Bust of a class.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jae-Gyun Hwang - 1.5M - Korean pro who only stayed in the states in ‘17. He played 18 games for SF and pretty much fell on his face. Bust.

Luis Toribio - 300k - currently in A+. Showing decent power, so there is an outside chance he could become something.

Roberto Gomez - 160k - BBRef links him to an MLB vet who the Giants signed at the time. Not sure if BBRef is just not linking to another “Roberto Gomez” or if Spotrack is erroneously including non-amateur signings.

Ivan Alexander Armstrong - unk - Went to the Halos in ‘21 (trade?). Currently in AA, but he looks like he is just org depth.

Jesus Gomez - unk - last appeared at the complex in ‘21. BBRef doesn’t even have a record of him. Bust.

I completely forgot about Hwang. Some Latin players' names suddenly change so it is possible that Gomez and Gomez went by something else after signing, thus the issue with BBRef.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jesus Gomez
Robert Gomez

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. Spotrack provides a list of the signees only. No stats or anything. Better than nothing, but far from mine-able.
An easier way, I think, to find names on BBRef is to look for the first player you find for that signing year and then follow the link to the DSL team on that player's page for the next season. Most of the rest of the players you are looking for should be on there (but you may have to toggle between the Orange and Black teams starting in 2021, I believe).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An easier way, I think, to find names on BBRef is to look for the first player you find for that signing year and then follow the link to the DSL team on that player's page for the next season. Most of the rest of the players you are looking for should be on there (but you may have to toggle between the Orange and Black teams starting in 2021, I believe).
Good strategy..