• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Detroit Lions @ Seattle Seahawks (Wild Card)

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Russell Wilson -
This team has gone whichever way Russell Wilson has gone this season. If he plays well, they have a chance to win, if he plays poorly then they are in big trouble. Wilson will need to play like he did against NE, and not like he did against GB.

Jimmy Graham -
There doesn't appear to be anyone on the Lions defense who could match up with Graham, and that is a huge advantage for the Seahawks (cause the same can be said about Willson to a lesser extent). Graham could be the target this game that could be the difference between a good game for Wilson and a bad one.

CenturyLink -
The Seahawks have a 9 game home game winning streak in the playoffs, and Detroit has lost 8 straight road playoff games. With 4 weeks in a row that were either at home or no farther than SF, the Hawks shouldn't have many issues with fatigue. Both sides of the ball need to come out firing, as a slow start may not be what they want in the playoffs.

Negatives:

Golden Tate -
Tate was a favorite when he was here, and he's been the Lions #1 receiver now that Johnson is gone. Now more a slot guy than he was in Seattle, he'll probably see more Lane than anyone - and with how Lane has been this season - that isn't a good thing for Seattle. He had 7 catches in last year's game, and I expect to see him get thrown to a lot this game.

Anquan Boldin -
Boldin has been around forever, and though he isn't the athlete he once was, he can still catch the ball and be the big possession receiver for his team. His 1200 career yards against Seattle is the 2nd highest total he has against any team, and he always seems to come up with clutch grabs against the Hawks.

OLine -
The line hasn't been improving as much as I'd hoped as the season progressed. They will need to start playing better as a unit. Ifedi needs to stop blowing assignments, Fant needs to put a full game together, Glowinski needs to start blowing people off the line and Gilliam needs to actually look like someone is playing at RT when he's out there. This defensive line is a good start for this to happen, but the Hawks OLine will have to play better in the playoffs if they want to get close to a Lombardi Trophy.

Matchups:

Cliff Avril vs. Riley Reiff -
Avril is having his best season (statistically), and he'll be playing opposite Reiff (who I believe is their RT). Reiff is currently listed as questionable, so he may or may not go. Either way it's going to be key for the Hawks defense for Avril, Clark and Bennett to get CONSISTENT pressure on the QB, not just an occasional pressure or sack.

George Fant vs. Ziggy Ansah -
Ansah is having a down year, but he is a fantastic edge rusher who could wreak havoc if he just got healthy. Seattle has had issues dominating weaker opponents this year, and neutralizing Ansah would be a great start to doing just that for the OLine.

DeShawn Shead vs. Marvin Jones -
Jones is the 3rd receiver in a good receiving corps, and Seattle will have to check them all, all game. There needs to be an effort for the Hawks to shut down the Lions pass attack, since they have no run game of any consequence. Shead, Lane and Sherman will have to have good games today, and Chancellor and Terrell need to play the back end perfectly.

Overview:

This game should be open and shut, but Seattle has struggled all season with all sorts of teams, so there's no guarantee that the Seahawks will put it together today. It's now or never, there isn't anything after this if they lose.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it comes done to both lines playing well and not making dumb penalties. If that happens Seattle should win this game.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hutchinson raising the 12 flag, odd choice

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hutchinson raising the 12 flag, odd choice
I was about to say the same thing... he kind of fucked us, after Super Bowl 40 signing that "poison-pill" contract that we had no way of matching.

Last edited:

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was about to say the same thing... he kind of fucked us, after Super Bowl 40 signing that "poinson-pill" contract that we had no way of matching.

I don't blame the guy for taking the money though.

pistlpete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
67cfece7-5733-4d48-8f07-d59f6b9eaf5a_1000.jpg

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was about to say the same thing... he kind of fucked us, after Super Bowl 40 signing that "poinson-pill" contract that we had no way of matching.

He definitely did, talk about somebody boring as well. They couldn't get marshawn?

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame the guy for taking the money though.
That wasn't really taking the money, though. We could have, and presumably would have, matched the money. He signed a contract with Minnesota that stated he must be the highest paid O-lineman on the team... and we had Walter Jones. We had no way to match that, even if we paid the same or more money than Minny.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't really taking the money, though. We could have, and presumably would have, matched the money. He signed a contract with Minnesota that stated he must be the highest paid O-lineman on the team... and we had Walter Jones. We had no way to match that, even if we paid the same or more money than Minny.

Wasn't there also something about bonuses if he plays more than 2 games in Seattle?

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't there also something about bonuses if he plays more than 2 games in Seattle?

Might have been. Clauses like what was in that contract made no sense to be allowed... they were a method to circument the rule in the CBA (Transition tag? something like that) that attempted to give a team means to keep their most important players by adding something to the contract that really has no value, other than making it impossible to match.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daily Fantasy...I have Wilson, Kearse and Zenner....high scoring game, hopefully

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That gets called against the Hawks 100 times out of 100

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that sucks ass.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daily Fantasy...I have Wilson, Kearse and Zenner....high scoring game, hopefully

I grabbed Zenner in the few lineups I had. Just had a feeling he was going to go off.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 sacks on Wilson

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damn it. :tsk:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O-line opening up some good holes on this drive. Awful sack taken by Wilson there though.