• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clippers may boycott

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting, so with that being said, what are the odds that Doc coaches or any of the players sit out?

Imo, I don't think it's likely that they sit out. I think cooler heads will prevail and they will realize that the NBA is doing everything in it's power to get rid of him, but it has to play out in court first. It's one thing to say "I'm sitting out" in July. It's quite another to say it in October, especially with the NBA actively trying to oust him.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Sterling will ever regain control of the team. If the NBA loses in court and is unable to strip him of the franchise, they will revert to the lifetime ban, which should have been the end of this anyway. It accomplishes the goal of getting rid of him, while avoiding this mess being dragged out in court for months on end.

If the NBA had just left it at the lifetime ban, this is likely not even a story anymore.

The problem is that the sponsors, fans and the players will never in my opinion accept Sterling being banned, but still owns the team. That puts the money in his pocket and simply won't fly.

The problem with that situation is that without sponsors the Clippers would quickly start losing money and the NBA would be dragged down with them as well. For the NBA to move forward without losing money, Sterling must be removed and that is the reason the laws for sports franchises are unique. Sterling does not own the NBA name. He has a licensed to use the Clippers name as a member of the NBA and that license may be removed and will be if he forces the NBA's hand

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. In fact, I think he may own them for the entirety of the upcoming season. Sterling is trying to drag this out as long as possible and he has the money to do it. Plus, the courts tend to move slow, especially in California.

I believe the deadline for the sale of the Clippers to Ballmer is August 15th. Sterling wants to get to August 16th.

Once that happens, then the NBA is likely to move forward with voting him out. Once that starts, then he gets what he really wants, which is to drag Silver and the NBA into court.

This is where it is at. :nod:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that the sponsors, fans and the players will never in my opinion accept Sterling being banned, but still owns the team. That puts the money in his pocket and simply won't fly.

The problem with that situation is that without sponsors the Clippers would quickly start losing money and the NBA would be dragged down with them as well. For the NBA to move forward without losing money, Sterling must be removed and that is the reason the laws for sports franchises are unique. Sterling does not own the NBA name. He has a licensed to use the Clippers name as a member of the NBA and that license may be removed and will be if he forces the NBA's hand

They won't do that because the league's schedule is for 30 teams. They would lose more money by removing the Clippers. The NBA will talk things out with sponsors to keep them on board while Sterling keeps things tied up in court. The NBA and the Players Union will also talk it out and no one will boycott or strike.

The only thing will happen is the Clippers will likely have less fans show up at the arena and lose their personal sponsor's without gaining any new ones for the season. This will likely end up driving the sale price down well below the 2.1B Balmer is willing to pay right now. Once the season starts if Sterling is still the owner the value of the Clippers will go down with every game they play. Every game that he is still the owner will do nothing more than damage that teams image to potential buyers.

So basically in the end Sterling will be forced out one way or another. Even if he wins in court, sponsors and players will eventually do him in. Players will let their contracts run out and refuse to resign. No one will come to coach them. No one will sponsor them. Their TV deal is coming up for renewal and likely no one would renew them. Sterling would either die, go bankrupt or eventually sale the team at market value of around $700m if not less.

The owners and the league simply can't do anything to get him out immediately. They don't have authority over the courts. The players would be absolutely foolish to boycott or strike as it would do nothing since the NBA can't do anything more than they are now. All they would accomplish is devaluing the entire league right before a new CBA needs to be agreed upon. You know who is going to hurt the most if league revenue's drop? the players.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do any of you think that coming opening day of this upcoming season, Donald Sterling will still be the owner?

I really don't - everything I am hearing in the legal community is that all of Sterling's attempts are acts of desperation and if the judge decides that the dementia is serious, then it's over because his ability to control of his own affairs ends immediately and a conservator will be placed over his businesses

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which sponsors? the ones that sell drinks and food at the arena? are any jersey people selling the clippers jerseys without the clippers logo on the front yet?

I am not sure how fast the other owners will vote him out. They all have skeletons in their closets. The other thing, remember Mark Cuban has tried to buy other franchises in different sports and owners dont want him in baseball, they are afraid he is gonna outspend them. You put a 12 billionaire in charge of the clippers, then 2016 rolls around and this max contract and salary cap goes away, they are all gonna be afraid of being outspent. All of them will lose a billion dollars in the calculated worth of their teams. I mean if the Clippers are worth 2 billion, what are marquee names like the celtics and lakers worth?

I think sterling believes he is gonna end up losing almost a billion dollars in the sale due to taxes then inheritance taxes. That would make the sale a mere 987.5 million profit when its done. He clearly does not care about the money, he has money and will not allow anyone to tell him what he can and cant do, all for the fact of telling a piece of ass not to bring guys she would do to the arena.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which sponsors? the ones that sell drinks and food at the arena? are any jersey people selling the clippers jerseys without the clippers logo on the front yet?

I am not sure how fast the other owners will vote him out. They all have skeletons in their closets. The other thing, remember Mark Cuban has tried to buy other franchises in different sports and owners dont want him in baseball, they are afraid he is gonna outspend them. You put a 12 billionaire in charge of the clippers, then 2016 rolls around and this max contract and salary cap goes away, they are all gonna be afraid of being outspent. All of them will lose a billion dollars in the calculated worth of their teams. I mean if the Clippers are worth 2 billion, what are marquee names like the celtics and lakers worth?

I think sterling believes he is gonna end up losing almost a billion dollars in the sale due to taxes then inheritance taxes. That would make the sale a mere 987.5 million profit when its done. He clearly does not care about the money, he has money and will not allow anyone to tell him what he can and cant do, all for the fact of telling a piece of ass not to bring guys she would do to the arena.

I am pretty sure that the skeletons in the other owner's closets pale in comparison, so y'all need to give up on that BS as an excuse to continue defending Sterling. It's not the matter of if Sterling is gone for good, it's the matter of when. The owners have no choice but to vote the guy out if they want the NBA to move forward because the sponsors that pay for advertising space have made it clear that it is either Sterling or them. It's also looking like the players will boycott as well

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure that the skeletons in the other owner's closets pale in comparison, so y'all need to give up on that BS as an excuse to continue defending Sterling. It's not the matter of if Sterling is gone for good, it's the matter of when. The owners have no choice but to vote the guy out if they want the NBA to move forward because the sponsors that pay for advertising space have made it clear that it is either Sterling or them. It's also looking like the players will boycott as well

Nobody is defending sterling. People that want to see no more basketball strikes or lockouts should be worried about this 2 billion dollars without buying the arena they play in sale price.

That number is gonna make all these jaded superstars believe they are making their owners into billionaires while they are just millionaires that will probably be broke 7 years after they retire. That is the bigger issue here. Bucks just sold for a record 550 million, highest ever, then the clippers go for 4 times that. The cubs were sold with a stadium for less than half that amount.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First of all, you have no idea what these guys may have in their closet's. Sterling is going through this for his privately expressed opinion, nothing more. The NBA had at least 2 instances of him actually discriminating against minorities and they did nothing about it. They took no action and no sponsors took action.

What happens if Sterling presents evidence of some of these owners being involved in nefarious business dealings, making sexist or homophobic statements? What if he can provide proof of other owners making their own racist statements? None of us on here know what these guys have in their past that they've been able to pay to make go away.

Some sponsors may pull out, but end of the day, most won't. Remember, the sponsors pay money to these teams for advertisement because those ads make them more money that they are spending. It could actually cost a sponsor money if they pull out.

Additionally, at this point, the owners voting him out is pretty much exactly what Sterling wants because at that point, he gets the fight that he's really after which is in court with Silver and the NBA.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also looking like the players will boycott as well

No they won't. As I already stated a player boycott only hurts the players in the end because any damage done to the league and the owners through a boycott will only get passed down to the players in the form of lower salary caps and less max money on contracts. The owners are not going to raise either of those two things if league wide revenue were to take a major hit due to a player boycott. A boycott is also not going to speed up the process of outing Sterling so what's the point other than to take money out of your own pocket? Not to mention a boycott would likely have a major negative impact on the fans. That could mean less jersey, merchandise, and ticket sales which again might hurt the NBA and the owners, but they will just pass that loss of revenue down to the players.

The players may hate Sterling, but I venture to guess they love their money a lot more than they hate him.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do any of you think that coming opening day of this upcoming season, Donald Sterling will still be the owner?

Honestly... no. But it won't be because he will feel some kind of pressure to sell. I don't see Silver wanting the shitstorm associated with sponsors bailing on the league.

No matter how anyone feels about Sterling, the players, the court cases... it all come down to one thing. Donald Sterling is bad business for the league. And - business decisions will drive this bus when it is all said and done.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, you have no idea what these guys may have in their closet's. Sterling is going through this for his privately expressed opinion, nothing more. The NBA had at least 2 instances of him actually discriminating against minorities and they did nothing about it. They took no action and no sponsors took action.

What happens if Sterling presents evidence of some of these owners being involved in nefarious business dealings, making sexist or homophobic statements? What if he can provide proof of other owners making their own racist statements? None of us on here know what these guys have in their past that they've been able to pay to make go away.

Some sponsors may pull out, but end of the day, most won't. Remember, the sponsors pay money to these teams for advertisement because those ads make them more money that they are spending. It could actually cost a sponsor money if they pull out.

Additionally, at this point, the owners voting him out is pretty much exactly what Sterling wants because at that point, he gets the fight that he's really after which is in court with Silver and the NBA.

In today's day of technology, internet and etc, they couldn't have anything that bad or everyone would know about it and besides that the sponsors have already made it clear by pulling out. They only agreed to come back because they were promised that Sterling would be gone. This is not even a discussion as far as the sponsors are concerned. They made their decision already

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they won't. As I already stated a player boycott only hurts the players in the end because any damage done to the league and the owners through a boycott will only get passed down to the players in the form of lower salary caps and less max money on contracts. The owners are not going to raise either of those two things if league wide revenue were to take a major hit due to a player boycott. A boycott is also not going to speed up the process of outing Sterling so what's the point other than to take money out of your own pocket? Not to mention a boycott would likely have a major negative impact on the fans. That could mean less jersey, merchandise, and ticket sales which again might hurt the NBA and the owners, but they will just pass that loss of revenue down to the players.

The players may hate Sterling, but I venture to guess they love their money a lot more than they hate him.

Even without what Chris Paul said, Lebron said they would - just saying

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is defending sterling. People that want to see no more basketball strikes or lockouts should be worried about this 2 billion dollars without buying the arena they play in sale price.

That number is gonna make all these jaded superstars believe they are making their owners into billionaires while they are just millionaires that will probably be broke 7 years after they retire. That is the bigger issue here. Bucks just sold for a record 550 million, highest ever, then the clippers go for 4 times that. The cubs were sold with a stadium for less than half that amount.

Balmer is paying 12 times it's worth, but he can afford it and he has the cash to back him up. I am assuming that since he had the money sitting in the bank, he thought it would be a better investment than sitting in the bank. I haven't heard any one say they care about that though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In today's day of technology, internet and etc, they couldn't have anything that bad or everyone would know about it and besides that the sponsors have already made it clear by pulling out. They only agreed to come back because they were promised that Sterling would be gone. This is not even a discussion as far as the sponsors are concerned. They made their decision already

I disagree. A lot of this stuff happened years ago. Think about it, the crap Sterling did wasn't widely publicized and many perhaps even most people either never knew about it or forgot. It took V. Stiviano releasing a tape of Sterling's rant to bring the other stuff back up.

I had completely forgotten about both of Sterling's discrimination cases until they were brought up when this thing happened.

No, the sponsors decision hasn't been made. They had decided to back out, then they decided to come back. Backing out was also an easy decision at the time because the season was pretty much at an end, just had the playoffs left. Now we'd be talking about an entire season of missed advertising. That would end up being money out of the sponsors pocket. As long as the NBA is doing their best to get him out, the sponsors will stay and the players will play.

Now, if the owners decide not to hold a vote or if they hold a vote and don't vote him out, then I think you'll see sponsors pull out and players boycott.

Even if they do vote him out, it's unlikely that will put a stop to this because he's already stated that he wants to fight the NBA in court. I think that he will eventually lose and his franchise will be taken from him, buy unless he dies or has a change of heart that actually sticks this time, this isn't going away any time soon.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balmer is paying 12 times it's worth, but he can afford it and he has the cash to back him up. I am assuming that since he had the money sitting in the bank, he thought it would be a better investment than sitting in the bank. I haven't heard any one say they care about that though.

Paying 12 times the Clippers worth? That'll be a neat trick since he's only worth $21 billion and according to you, he's about to pay $66 billion for them.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paying 12 times the Clippers worth? That'll be a neat trick since he's only worth $21 billion and according to you, he's about to pay $66 billion for them.

I think the argument is that IF they were also buying the Forum, 2 billion would be a fair price. But they are not buying the arena, just the team.

Look at Charolette. The original owner paid 300 million in fees for an expansion team. Jordan bought it for 275 million, (mostly taking on the debt)now they say because of this sale, its worth between 600 million and 1.4 billion. What happens when the rest of these owners decide to cash in? You think the league stays as strong?

How long do the players strike after more teams are sold for billions of dollars.

Everyone hated stern, but seems like on his watch these owners made out big.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald is now 0-3 challenging this. He isn't going to win ANY lawsuits against the league. He needs to stop filing lawsuits, take the money and go away and die somewhere. He simply has no case, and never did.

He is not getting any more money from the clippers, its going into the trust for the wife and heirs.