• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clippers may boycott

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anyone justify why the Clippers are worth $2 billion tho? I get that $2 billion means nothing to Ballmer but if he were the great businessman everyone says he is, you would think he would at least try to get a good deal (especially with the bad press of Sterling, the owners voting Sterling out, Sterling's own family suing him, & Sterling's health). All the leverage should be with Ballmer but NOOOOOOOOOOOO he forks over $2 billion to buy a team without its own arena. Makes no sense unless Ballmer has also developed dementia.

Yes. Ballmer has $2 billion to spare and is willing to pay it. That makes them worth it to Ballmer. Right after the Clippers went up for sale, bids were placed and they were all at least close to double the actual value of the team ($557million).

Apparently, Ballmer has wanted to own an NBA franchise for a long time, so he basically came in and nearly doubled everyone else's offer.

We've all probably overpaid for something in our lives because of how badly we wanted it. We just haven't had an extra $2billion to overpay for it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth is what somebody is willing to pay. Fairly straightforward concept. IS it overpayment in this case? Most definitely. In a capitalistic society, this axiom stands. However, there is also another axiom that is afloat here. That being: Some people have more money than brains.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth is what somebody is willing to pay. Fairly straightforward concept. IS it overpayment in this case? Most definitely. In a capitalistic society, this axiom stands. However, there is also another axiom that is afloat here. That being: Some people have more money than brains.

I used to work for AT&T. Every time there was a new iPhone release (which was about once a year at that time), I was always amazed at how many people would pay $500-600 for the new iPhone, when if they simply waited a month or 2 (sometimes less) they could get it for less than half that price.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Ballmer has $2 billion to spare and is willing to pay it. That makes them worth it to Ballmer. Right after the Clippers went up for sale, bids were placed and they were all at least close to double the actual value of the team ($557million).

Apparently, Ballmer has wanted to own an NBA franchise for a long time, so he basically came in and nearly doubled everyone else's offer.

We've all probably overpaid for something in our lives because of how badly we wanted it. We just haven't had an extra $2billion to overpay for it.

These different investment groups were trying to put together a package of cash and leverage the hell out of themselves with debt to get up to $750,000,000 and Ballmer came in and said "I'll stroke you a fuckin check for $2,000,000,000 right now."

:omg:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whose to really say?
Look at how the value of franchises have increased decade to decade.
What might be a perceived lack of value today, might be viewed as a bargain not too far down the road.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to work for AT&T. Every time there was a new iPhone release (which was about once a year at that time), I was always amazed at how many people would pay $500-600 for the new iPhone, when if they simply waited a month or 2 (sometimes less) they could get it for less than half that price.

I never understood that. People will crap all over Microsoft for making them buy new versions of Windows every 4-5 years, but then lineup in droves every year to buy the new Apple iPhone and iPads that are only marginally better than the previous years model.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Doobs you were talkin' some shit last night! :omg:

And don't tell me that was just "drinks." You got fuckin INSPIRED on something, man?! What was it???

I am going to with the bearded lady from the circus:lol:

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They're not worth a nickle. I seriously wouldn't give that chimpanzee Ballmer a nickle for the Clippers. They're worthless and the world will be a better place if they just disappeared!" - the Doobs last night

Now - THAT'S a hot sports opinion...

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood that. People will crap all over Microsoft for making them buy new versions of Windows every 4-5 years, but then lineup in droves every year to buy the new Apple iPhone and iPads that are only marginally better than the previous years model.

I serious doubt that the same people bitching about a new Microsoft windows are the same ones buying a new iphone or ipad every year. It's most likely a different group in those lines each year. Those griping about Microsoft windows are creatures of habit that don't like changes. To me it's no big deal because I keep the same phone until the battery won't hold a new charge, and then I upgrade which is about 2 or 3 years. I buy a new computer ever 2 or 3 years and then move forward. In the past I haven't always had to upgrade the programs though because I use excel and word a lot and they are usually compatible. I'm sure there many stupid people getting in those lines each year. Never under-estimate the power of stupidity:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. People literally camped outside stores for 2-3 days before the release. It was nuts. The other thing too is that there were ALWAYS glitches that had to be worked out with many of the phones from the original release.

2-3 months later, the glitches are pretty well worked out. So, with a little patience, folks could actually get a better phone for considerably less money.:doh:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Doobs you were talkin' some shit last night! :omg:

And don't tell me that was just "drinks." You got fuckin INSPIRED on something, man?! What was it???

I'll admit I'm also an Apple fan boy.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You just gotta own one to understand.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People are stupid.....

AND CRAZY.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for getting the newest and greatest phone on the market...... every 2 years when my contract allows it. I just picked up the LG G3 last week and it seems like a nice replacement to my Galaxy S3. I couldn't justify to myself though paying the $600-$800 these devices go for without a contract. Especially considering how fast they lose their value in the market.

Big reason that 2.1B that Balmer is paying is not quite so crazy is because the market value of NBA teams is continuing to increase. The Clippers can negotiate a new local TV deal in the next couple of years and the NBA will be up for a new TV deal with a new CBA soon that could also increase revenue.

Is he over paying? sure. Is he crazy for it? not really. It's not likely at this point the Clippers are going to lose value. If Sterling continues to stay the owner though and continues to damage the teams image I can see Balmer backing out. He wants the team now while he can boost and save the teams image. He likely does not want it at 2.1B after Sterling has stomped it dry, dragged it through mud, and buried it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for getting the newest and greatest phone on the market...... every 2 years when my contract allows it. I just picked up the LG G3 last week and it seems like a nice replacement to my Galaxy S3. I couldn't justify to myself though paying the $600-$800 these devices go for without a contract. Especially considering how fast they lose their value in the market.

Big reason that 2.1B that Balmer is paying is not quite so crazy is because the market value of NBA teams is continuing to increase. The Clippers can negotiate a new local TV deal in the next couple of years and the NBA will be up for a new TV deal with a new CBA soon that could also increase revenue.

Is he over paying? sure. Is he crazy for it? not really. It's not likely at this point the Clippers are going to lose value. If Sterling continues to stay the owner though and continues to damage the teams image I can see Balmer backing out. He wants the team now while he can boost and save the teams image. He likely does not want it at 2.1B after Sterling has stomped it dry, dragged it through mud, and buried it.

:lol: I still use a V9 Razr.

I agree about Ballmer. Sterling bought the Clippers in 1981 for $12.5 million. They are now valued at $557 million.

It's not so farfetched to believe that if he keeps them long enough, the Clippers value will eventually exceed what he paid.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: I still use a V9 Razr.

I agree about Ballmer. Sterling bought the Clippers in 1981 for $12.5 million. They are now valued at $557 million.

It's not so farfetched to believe that if he keeps them long enough, the Clippers value will eventually exceed what he paid.

I used to love the Razrs! I was all about the flip phones before the iPhone came out. Razr was the best 1!

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got rid of my flip phone about 6 months ago. my phone was broke and I was up for a new phone. I wanted another flip but it would cost 150 bucks. so I have a iPhone for free. I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with them

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got rid of my flip phone about 6 months ago. my phone was broke and I was up for a new phone. I wanted another flip but it would cost 150 bucks. so I have a iPhone for free. I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with them

They're kewl

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're not the only one.