• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clippers may boycott

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's see if I can boil this thread down to it's essence:

The Doobster: Steve Ballmer somehow managed to graduate magna cum laude from arguably the most prestigious university in the United States, if not the world and has amassed a $21 billion fortune despite his being a complete moron. The Clippers should be relegated to the D-League because they haven't won any championships and the Lakers have. Steve Ballmer is overpaying for the Clippers and has a lot of money because of his college friends.

Everybody else: :L

That about cover it?

Translation: Doobster took common sense and nuked it with a megaton bomb

Whatever Doobster had a few too many drinks plus a good time :suds:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally irrelevant and a mute point for the same reason that the drivers used to strike when they drove for the Los Angeles Rapid Transit District that ran the entire bussing industry in Los Angeles County. The employees crippled the busses until those in charge did two things

Agreed to make concessions that both sides could live with

Absolved the union from their illegal strike and agreed not to sue them, or fire them and etc. This has worked because the average person will not cross a picket line. I sure wouldn't - not even to see a game.

Problem the players would face in this though is not similar. What they want the NBA to do can not be done easily. They can strike and sit out games all they want, but it's likely not going to speed up the process for the NBA. The league is always going to be at the mercy of the courts on getting Sterling out unless he wakes up one day and decides to just sale the team.

The only thing a strike might accomplish is speeding up the process in court, but the expense of that might be to great on the players. NBA revenue is soaring right now, and they believe in the next CBA player contracts could go up as well as the Salary Cap. More money for teams to spend = more money in players pockets. If they strike though it could have detrimental effects on the leagues image and future revenue. Those effects are just going to be passed down to the players with small contracts and less money.

A strike would basically just be bad for business for the owners and players. The players need to just keep playing and let the legal system decide on this. Any action they take will likely negatively effect them in more ways than one even if they get absolved from any legal ramifications.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with a NBA strike, the NHL needs all the help it can get.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with a NBA strike, the NHL needs all the help it can get.

Man I still don't think the NHL has fully recovered from that 2004 lockout. I think that should go down as a prime example of getting what you want at a severe cost.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the league as a whole but the players dont give a fuck they eventually get paid lol.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I still don't think the NHL has fully recovered from that 2004 lockout. I think that should go down as a prime example of getting what you want at a severe cost.

Whenever they got momentum Bettman locks the players out. It's messed up!

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whenever they got momentum Bettman locks the players out. It's messed up!

Yep. I looked up how things have gone since that lockout. As far as revenue, team values, and attendance things seem to have improved across the board for the most part. The NHL even has a much more lucrative TV deal. I would say some of that is likely due to inflation since 2004, but overall the league is much more healthy from a financial stand point than it was pre-lockout.

The problem is I still don't think they have recovered from the damage it did to their image. This especially holds true for the global media market and all areas outside of prime hockey locations. The NHL went from being right up there in the topic of conversations with the NBA and MLB to being that sport some care to talk about. I remember in the 90's playoff hockey was right up there with the NBA as far as media coverage and exposure. Now days it feels like an after thought until the Finals =\

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I looked up how things have gone since that lockout. As far as revenue, team values, and attendance things seem to have improved across the board for the most part. The NHL even has a much more lucrative TV deal. I would say some of that is likely due to inflation since 2004, but overall the league is much more healthy from a financial stand point than it was pre-lockout.

The problem is I still don't think they have recovered from the damage it did to their image. This especially holds true for the global media market and all areas outside of prime hockey locations. The NHL went from being right up there in the topic of conversations with the NBA and MLB to being that sport some care to talk about. I remember in the 90's playoff hockey was right up there with the NBA as far as media coverage and exposure. Now days it feels like an after thought until the Finals =\

:agree:

:L

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only thing about hockey is that they dont really seem to have casual fans. They hardly ever get play on national television even in the playoffs. They have a real hardcore fan base.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anyone justify why the Clippers are worth $2 billion tho? I get that $2 billion means nothing to Ballmer but if he were the great businessman everyone says he is, you would think he would at least try to get a good deal (especially with the bad press of Sterling, the owners voting Sterling out, Sterling's own family suing him, & Sterling's health). All the leverage should be with Ballmer but NOOOOOOOOOOOO he forks over $2 billion to buy a team without its own arena. Makes no sense unless Ballmer has also developed dementia.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I like about Sterling tho is that he doesn't give a :ss: about Ballmer's money. He's got cancer and dementia. He would be better off just driving the Clippers into the ground, screwing over his wife, & bringing down the NBA with him.

":finger2:"-Don Sterling

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, Sterling being a racist has created a hostile work environment in the past. There are legitimate gripes here. I just don't think they just came up. Sterling should've been removed from the NBA years/decades ago.

It's not about the work environment, it's about making the league look bad.. which is not an easy thing to do considering how flat out stupid some of these players are. Kobe is allowed to stand there and scream the word faggot at some guy over and over again and all is forgiven, yet Sterling can't share an opinion in the privacy of his own home(yes, I know Kobe isn't the only one to do something dumb)?? Even worse, Ray Rice can beat the shit out of his girlfriend and literally NOTHING happens to him.. guess that doesn't give the league a black eye? Racist or not, this is bullshit and I hope sterling turns the league upside down over this.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Was hockey ever really that big? I've been to a few blue jackets games.. it was fun, but I have a real hard time getting into a sport that I never played/followed growing up. I imagine that goes for some other people as well. For every sport I ever played, I was driven by watching college/pro players and trying to imitate their game.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anyone justify why the Clippers are worth $2 billion tho? I get that $2 billion means nothing to Ballmer but if he were the great businessman everyone says he is, you would think he would at least try to get a good deal (especially with the bad press of Sterling, the owners voting Sterling out, Sterling's own family suing him, & Sterling's health). All the leverage should be with Ballmer but NOOOOOOOOOOOO he forks over $2 billion to buy a team without its own arena. Makes no sense unless Ballmer has also developed dementia.

They're not worth $2B. They are worth what the market will bear.

And - the market bears $2B.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Doobs you were talkin' some shit last night! :omg:

And don't tell me that was just "drinks." You got fuckin INSPIRED on something, man?! What was it???

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not worth $2B. They are worth what the market will bear.

And - the market bears $2B.

"They're not worth a nickle. I seriously wouldn't give that chimpanzee Ballmer a nickle for the Clippers. They're worthless and the world will be a better place if they just disappeared!" - the Doobs last night