• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charlie Strong: "we're going to streamroll everyone. "

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Head Coach of Buffalo or Kent State in Charlie Strongs' near future

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they do turn it around. I want to see the Aggies play them again and the only way for that to happen is if they both make the playoffs. So both teams need to be very, very good. Someone on either side will puss out if it's the Cotton Bowl or Texas Bowl. The selection committee would make that call and there will be nothing these douche bag rich guys in Austin or Houston that can do anything about it.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie is a genius.
What does he have to lose.

Talk about Steamrolling and end up with 10/11+ wins = you're a bad ass.
Talk about Steamrolling and end up with 5/6 wins = you're fired anyway.

What does it matter.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only seen Texas play a limited number of games under Strong but it looks like to me he is building a program that's focused on the long term not the quick fix.
He's started and played a lot of underclassmen which will cause you to lose some games. But in the long run will pay off.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally, they gave us some bulletin board material.

Seems we may need some....can't hurt, right? I don't believe in it personally, but if that is what it takes for the Sooners to wake up and smash these fhegs to bits I'm all for it.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie is a genius.
What does he have to lose.

Talk about Steamrolling and end up with 10/11+ wins = you're a bad ass.
Talk about Steamrolling and end up with 5/6 wins = you're fired anyway.

What does it matter.

ahhh......but he didn't say anything of the sort.

He said WHEN we get this turned around, we'll start steamrolling teams. He never even HINTED that he was speaking of this team, this next season.

It helps if you guys actually READ his comments.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wants to give me the percentages on the following coaches still being with their current teams on opening day in September 2017?

Mike Stoops
Charlie Strong
Bob Stoops

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wants to give me the percentages on the following coaches still being with their current teams on opening day in September 2017?

Mike Stoops 85% would love to see him go but not happening with Bob there
Charlie Strong 50%
Bob 95 %

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll say Mike 50%, Charlie 50% and Bob 75%. If OU lays the chunk over the first 5 games Bob's toast. A lot of that will depend on Baker Mayfield staying off a stretcher because we have nothing behind him right now except "potential" that hasn't played Div1 ball. Our defense will be a heaving crap shoot again. And our schedule is stronger than last year on the front end, even taking into account we played Tennessee early last year. It's gonna be interesting to see those first 5 games.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say Mike 50%, Charlie 50% and Bob 75%. If OU lays the chunk over the first 5 games Bob's toast. A lot of that will depend on Baker Mayfield staying off a stretcher because we have nothing behind him right now except "potential" that hasn't played Div1 ball. Our defense will be a heaving crap shoot again. And our schedule is stronger than last year on the front end, even taking into account we played Tennessee early last year. It's gonna be interesting to see those first 5 games.
Very true. Tough start with Ohio State and Houston (basically a home game for Houston.)

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. Tough start with Ohio State and Houston (basically a home game for Houston.)

We get Houston, Ohio State, TCU and Texas early. I shudder to think what I'd give to be 5-0 after the RRSO with Kansas State rolling into Norman for the national game of the day.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last six years, Texas has had three winning seasons and three losing seasons. 2014 and 2015 were both losing seasons. 2016 will bring some steamrolling action?

Cumulative record 2010-2015
41-35 53.9%
20-17 Home winning percentage 54.1 %
30-27 57 games played in Texas, in the state of Texas winning percentage 52.6%
11-8 outside of the State of Texas 57.9%

Played their last three bowl games in Texas, went 1-2. Plays 75% of their games in Texas. Texas politicians will insist that this always be true.

Even though Texas claims academics is important, the Texas Longhorns were not one of the three 5-7 teams selected for bowl games based on academic criteria.

so you include my quote, which says 'we have sucked for years now' and then you proceed to compile a long list, saying the same thing.

Okay.

On the steamroller issue, from what I've heard he was referring to recruiting, and that WHEN this thing turns around...

Recruiting has been good in his first two classes. Some big recruits are still leaving, just as they did in the 90s. The only time in the modern era when Texas really could pick and choose was after MB got things rolling, and that only lasted for a few years.

As for education? I have put an example of what Shaka Smart did first thing when he arrived: he as very upset that the basketball program was steering players into the easiest classes, so that the university would have better numbers.

He wants the student athletes to be able to choose their educational paths, regardless of whether or not the harder classes lower the athletic departments GPA. And he got the changes made.

Charlie Strong is also big on education, they have to attend all their classes and they have to sit in the front. I have no idea on the coursework...when I was there, guys I played with in high school differed. One close friend just took physical therapy and easy classes, but did graduate and left for NFL. The other close friend went into business. But I know you could find players bunched together in easy classes, for example Bible studies.

Now, I've written a wall of text for you to read.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm unless you have some superstar Quarterback that we are not aware of, you are not going to be steamrolling anyone except maybe Rice, Iowa St, UTEP and Kansas. You will be eating these words and looking for a job if you are not prophetic. It is nut up or shut up time for Charlie Strong. He will not be given a 5th year if he doesn't win at least 9 or 10 games.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm unless you have some superstar Quarterback that we are not aware of, you are not going to be steamrolling anyone except maybe Rice, Iowa St, UTEP and Kansas..
:nono:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm unless you have some superstar Quarterback that we are not aware of, you are not going to be steamrolling anyone except maybe Rice, Iowa St, UTEP and Kansas. You will be eating these words and looking for a job if you are not prophetic. It is nut up or shut up time for Charlie Strong. He will not be given a 5th year if he doesn't win at least 9 or 10 games.

Ther was a time when Iowa State was a gimme. Now they schedule us for homecoming :L

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you include my quote, which says 'we have sucked for years now' and then you proceed to compile a long list, saying the same thing.

Okay.

On the steamroller issue, from what I've heard he was referring to recruiting, and that WHEN this thing turns around...

Recruiting has been good in his first two classes. Some big recruits are still leaving, just as they did in the 90s. The only time in the modern era when Texas really could pick and choose was after MB got things rolling, and that only lasted for a few years.

As for education? I have put an example of what Shaka Smart did first thing when he arrived: he as very upset that the basketball program was steering players into the easiest classes, so that the university would have better numbers.

He wants the student athletes to be able to choose their educational paths, regardless of whether or not the harder classes lower the athletic departments GPA. And he got the changes made.

Charlie Strong is also big on education, they have to attend all their classes and they have to sit in the front. I have no idea on the coursework...when I was there, guys I played with in high school differed. One close friend just took physical therapy and easy classes, but did graduate and left for NFL. The other close friend went into business. But I know you could find players bunched together in easy classes, for example Bible studies.

Now, I've written a wall of text for you to read.

It was because you said five years, I was just pointing out that it has been six years, 2010-2015.

I like to take jabs at Texas for their "We want higher academics" stance that they like to take, yet, year after year after year, somehow, Texas "athlete academics" doesn't seem to hold up. Texas is a fantastic university for academics for the non-athlete, no doubt about it.

BTW, Texas Jefe, I think you are one of the smart, good, and fair Texas posters on this forum. You and StarbigD will admit certain failings that Texas has, whereas, some others will not, no matter how much evidence is thrown at them. I am even beginning to like Texasexes and he and I have a long history of antipathy towards each other.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was because you said five years, I was just pointing out that it has been six years, 2010-2015.

I like to take jabs at Texas for their "We want higher academics" stance that they like to take, yet, year after year after year, somehow, Texas "athlete academics" doesn't seem to hold up. Texas is a fantastic university for academics for the non-athlete, no doubt about it.

BTW, Texas Jefe, I think you are one of the smart, good, and fair Texas posters on this forum. You and StarbigD will admit certain failings that Texas has, whereas, some others will not, no matter how much evidence is thrown at them. I am even beginning to like Texasexes and he and I have a long history of antipathy towards each other.
Very true. There are several Texas posters on here who know their stuff and I respect a lot.