• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charlie Strong: "we're going to streamroll everyone. "

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that the missed extra point game? Between that and the Okie Light game, special teams threw any chance of a win in those 2. Even for an OU fan, yall got some horrendous calls in the OSU game as well, but I guess it just happens sometimes.

We got some shitty calls in that Okie Light game, but I still blame the loss on the fact the offense had4 three and outs in the 4th quarter and only gained 48 yds in the entire 2nd half. Just awful coaching last year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got some shitty calls in that Okie Light game, but I still blame the loss on the fact the offense had4 three and outs in the 4th quarter and only gained 48 yds in the entire 2nd half. Just awful coaching last year.

You have high expectations. Texas didn't have a QB or an OL that can just run over people. It's not a particularly hard offense to stop. Until Texas finds a QB that can just make the defense play honest the offense is going to be below average. Perkins leaving was the biggest issue in that game. The choice was a true freshmen or a converted DL vs 1st round pick. Shockingly that didn't work out in Texas's favor.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have high expectations. Texas didn't have a QB or an OL that can just run over people. It's not a particularly hard offense to stop. Until Texas finds a QB that can just make the defense play honest the offense is going to be below average. Perkins leaving was the biggest issue in that game. The choice was a true freshmen or a converted DL vs 1st round pick. Shockingly that didn't work out in Texas's favor.

He's a guy that thinks if it rains Charlie didn't coach the sun enough.

If the talent isn't there, it isn't there. No scheme in the world can make kids who shouldn't be playing become world beaters.

What killed Texas last year was the lack of OL and QB recruiting from Mack combined with the nations toughest first 6 games schedule. If Texas had say, an A&M schedule those first six games, they're probably bowl game bound last year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a guy that thinks if it rains Charlie didn't coach the sun enough.

If the talent isn't there, it isn't there. No scheme in the world can make kids who shouldn't be playing become world beaters.

What killed Texas last year was the lack of OL and QB recruiting from Mack combined with the nations toughest first 6 games schedule. If Texas had say, an A&M schedule those first six games, they're probably bowl game bound last year.

I just dont think people understand the lack of talent that was at Texas. They pt to a team like Clemson that started a lot of youth, but there is a difference between dependingon youth for depth and needing youth to fill key roles. There just isnt anyone capable of masking those holes. Stud QB? Nope. Freak RBs? Nope. Sick WR corp? Nope. Should be better this year as Texas wont have 2 true freshmen starters. Last year Texas started a OL that could not even vote. If talent was there, that would never happen

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really, if Texas had A&M's schedule the first 6 games it would be bowl eligible. Texas was 2-4 after 6 games. Take a look at A&M's first 6 games:
  1. Arizona State - Texas isn't winning that one
  2. Ball State - Ok that's a W for the horns
  3. Nevada - I'll give Texas the W there also, but its close
  4. Arkansas - That O-line would have punished the Texas D all day long. Texas doesn't beat Arky
  5. Mississippi State - Texas D wouldn't have an answer for Dax. Texas Loss
  6. Alabama - Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's an L for the horns.
What's the record, 2-4. Wow, that exactly what the horns record was playing their own schedule.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of talent the last few years is also proven by the lack of NFL draft picks. It's really pretty obvious the talent drop off was substantial the last five or so years.

But the talent is getting better: the last two classes will fill a lot of holes, they just need experience...

If this team can find an adequate QB, and OL improves, wins should follow.

Only real worry about the defense is up front. The rotation is by necessity going to have a number of true freshmen playing quite a bit. If they can find a middle backer to fill (Hager or Wheeler, possibly) Malik can play on the edge, which is where he will really shine

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, if Texas had A&M's schedule the first 6 games it would be bowl eligible. Texas was 2-4 after 6 games. Take a look at A&M's first 6 games:
  4. Arkansas - That O-line would have punished the Texas D all day long. Texas doesn't beat Arky
  6. Alabama - Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's an L for the horns.
What's the record, 2-4. Wow, that exactly what the horns record was playing their own schedule.
Tend to agree. Now if they had Baylor's front end schedule, no doubt they're bowling.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I not sure on that one. ASU was so bad early. Their offense really struggled. They had 300+ yard of offense once in the first 7 games and their defense was never more than mediocre. I would not have minded that game at all. Ark is another one. No idea why, but they started out terrible again. I think Texas takes one of those. I would happy to have traded ND early for ASU early. Anybody in the nation would have. I certainly would have traded TCU/OU for MSU. Cal?RIce for BallState/Nevada is a nice trade also

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of talent the last few years is also proven by the lack of NFL draft picks. It's really pretty obvious the talent drop off was substantial the last five or so years.

But the talent is getting better: the last two classes will fill a lot of holes, they just need experience...

If this team can find an adequate QB, and OL improves, wins should follow.

Only real worry about the defense is up front. The rotation is by necessity going to have a number of true freshmen playing quite a bit. If they can find a middle backer to fill (Hager or Wheeler, possibly) Malik can play on the edge, which is where he will really shine

Biggest issue is where the talent lacked. OL is a tough position to restock. Just takes time for most of those guys. QB is another tough position to just come in and play, even harder when the OL is shaky. Near impossible to ask inexperienced QBs to flourish behind weak OLs, now throw in inexperienced WRs and you have a perfect storm of futility.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I not sure on that one. ASU was so bad early. Their offense really struggled. They had 300+ yard of offense once in the first 7 games and their defense was never more than mediocre. I would not have minded that game at all. Ark is another one. No idea why, but they started out terrible again. I think Texas takes one of those. I would happy to have traded ND early for ASU early. Anybody in the nation would have. I certainly would have traded TCU/OU for MSU. Cal?RIce for BallState/Nevada is a nice trade also

It's not like the Texas offense was a juggernaut to start the year either, especially to start the year. Would Texas have done better against AZ St. than it did against ND? No bout, but IMO Texas loses to the Sun Devils if they played in week 1. Arkansas did have trouble with speed teams like Toledo and Tech early on, but would have been able to handle Texas. Arkansas dominated the Toledo game, but dumb penalties, a couple of turnovers, and poor red zone offense cost them the game. I don't think Texas would have been able to stand up to the size of Arkansas.

I think Texas would have wins against Ball State and most likely Nevada, but other than that, I don't see them winning any other game on the A&M schedule the first 6 games of the season.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like the Texas offense was a juggernaut to start the year either, especially to start the year. Would Texas have done better against AZ St. than it did against ND? No bout, but IMO Texas loses to the Sun Devils if they played in week 1. Arkansas did have trouble with speed teams like Toledo and Tech early on, but would have been able to handle Texas. Arkansas dominated the Toledo game, but dumb penalties, a couple of turnovers, and poor red zone offense cost them the game. I don't think Texas would have been able to stand up to the size of Arkansas.

I think Texas would have wins against Ball State and most likely Nevada, but other than that, I don't see them winning any other game on the A&M schedule the first 6 games of the season.

I have no idea why, but Ark is not a lock to win any game in Sept. Good idea to play Ark early and ND late. Those 2 teams seem to have a pattern. ND seems to fall apart with injuries. They may need to rethink their offseason S&C program. No idea if the record is better or not, but the chances for more than 2 games would certainly be better with that schedule. That has nothing to do with A&M, Texas just had a top 5 schedule the first 6 weeks.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea why, but Ark is not a lock to win any game in Sept. Good idea to play Ark early and ND late. Those 2 teams seem to have a pattern. ND seems to fall apart with injuries. They may need to rethink their offseason S&C program. No idea if the record is better or not, but the chances for more than 2 games would certainly be better with that schedule. That has nothing to do with A&M, Texas just had a top 5 schedule the first 6 weeks.

This is painful to say, but I agree with you. I don't know if Texas has more than 2 wins, but it would have been much more competitive at the very least. ND, TCU, & OU is a tough bunch to face in the 1st 6 games with a young team. Arkansas always seems to wake the hell up at the A&M game, and ND get a high ranking and falls to pieces late.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is painful to say, but I agree with you. I don't know if Texas has more than 2 wins, but it would have been much more competitive at the very least. ND, TCU, & OU is a tough bunch to face in the 1st 6 games with a young team. Arkansas always seems to wake the hell up at the A&M game, and ND get a high ranking and falls to pieces late.

ND reminds me a bit of the old Georgia teams. They seemed to get hammered every year with injuries. I dont think it is always a over-rating thing. Last 2 years ND has been gutted.

Texas had a perfect storm of a schedule. They were not very good to start with, but that schedule was a disaster. Breaking in 2 true freshmen at the CB spots (4 of the back 7) and you face TCU, OSU, Cal, and OU in 4 of the first 6. If last season held true, Texas would have been 2-4 and replaced a TCU blow out with a fumbled punt returned for a TD with 1 minute to go to give ASU/ARK a win

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont think people understand the lack of talent that was at Texas. They pt to a team like Clemson that started a lot of youth, but there is a difference between dependingon youth for depth and needing youth to fill key roles. There just isnt anyone capable of masking those holes. Stud QB? Nope. Freak RBs? Nope. Sick WR corp? Nope. Should be better this year as Texas wont have 2 true freshmen starters. Last year Texas started a OL that could not even vote. If talent was there, that would never happen[/QUOTE

But you guys act like the talent at Texas is what you would find at SFA or Incarnate Word. Nobody was expecting a conference title or national championship. However, sporting a winning record and not getting shutout by the likes of Iowa State is not asking for the impossible. As I said before, this team was an ass hair away from winning 8 games, so the talent is there. Was the talent good enough to win a conference title or NC the last 2 years, oh hell no, not even close. But the talent was there to compete and have winning seasons. This is where coaching comes into play and without a doubt, no questions askes, the coaching was subpar for the last 2 seasons. Don't believe me? Strong has replaced or had 8 coaches leave in the last 2 years. You don't replace 8 coaches if the coaching is superb. Strong surrounded himself with a mediocre coaching staff, period. That is why you have back to back losing seasons, not b/c a lack of talent. Now there was a lack of elite talent, but elite talent wins you conference titles and NC's. Average talent at least gets you a winning season and a bowl game, as long as there is competent coaching.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like Arky has been like that for several years now. Start out extremely slow and average then finish pretty well and leave the fan base thinking next year their going to explode and then follow the same pattern the next season.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true FR, 6-6, son of former Texas All America

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the confidence. Bring it on Charlie.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie is rebuilding this roster the right way.

The only question is whether he gets the time to finish the job. They're going to play a LOT of true freshmen in the two deep next season. There is quite a bit of young quality talent on that roster right now. But it's going to take TIME to develop, especially at the OL and DL.