• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FBS going to split in half?

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a matter of time before the FBS split between the haves and have-nots. This will also give the SEC and Big-10 the excuse they need to jettison the Vandys of the world.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no, but the student-athletes
No Idea Idk GIF by Bounce

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are careful we won't be able to deny basic worker protections based on the made up term student-athlete anymore. What's next, continued medical care for athletes whose career ends due to injury? Ridiculous.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a matter of time before the FBS split between the haves and have-nots. This will also give the SEC and Big-10 the excuse they need to jettison the Vandys of the world.

Finally! It's time to make this happen. Limit it to about 40-50 schools max, and set up some limits to it. The B1G and SEC just pick up from the other conferences who they want, and then just create the subdivision with two conferences. Although, I think I would just exclude the NCAA from the whole thing.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally! It's time to make this happen. Limit it to about 40-50 schools max, and set up some limits to it. The B1G and SEC just pick up from the other conferences who they want, and then just create the subdivision with two conferences. Although, I think I would just exclude the NCAA from the whole thing.
It's the American way! Take those teams who already have a lot of money, and give them even MORE money.

Poorer schools get even poorer. One of my teams is already in the big boys club (though many would argue they don't deserve to be there), while my other team would bite the dust

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the American way! Take those teams who already have a lot of money, and give them even MORE money.

Poorer schools get even poorer. One of my teams is already in the big boys club (though many would argue they don't deserve to be there), while my other team would bite the dust
What's the point of COLLEGE football?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's better than allowing it to become a Major League Baseball system where the Mets are spending $350 million, and the A's are spending $53 million. :noidea:

That's what we got going now in college football.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the point of COLLEGE football?
When even middle of the pack college teams are getting 40-50k in attendance, it's definitely about money. They are just acknowledging what everyone has known for decades now.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vandy is an original member of the sec. They been a member since 1933. They not going anywhere.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vandy is an original member of the sec. They been a member since 1933. They not going anywhere.

I think it will become like a buyers club. If programs want in, they will have to pony up...even if they are long term members of the conferences. I'm sure Vandy has got a be bankroll, but I wonder if they would put a big amount of money up to be a part of it? If this league is 40-50 members, they don't want to create dead weight out of the gate.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will become like a buyers club. If programs want in, they will have to pony up...even if they are long term members of the conferences. I'm sure Vandy has got a be bankroll, but I wonder if they would put a big amount of money up to be a part of it? If this league is 40-50 members, they don't want to create dead weight out of the gate.
But it's a zero-sum game in terms of wins and losses: you're going to have teams every year who are below Mendoza, even if they are traditional powerhouses, because all they're playing is other powerhouses. You need crappy teams to beat up on and inflate the win totals

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's a zero-sum game in terms of wins and losses: you're going to have teams every year who are below Mendoza, even if they are traditional powerhouses, because all they're playing is other powerhouses. You need crappy teams to beat up on and inflate the win totals
Not if those teams aren't spending the money on their football programs. You don't want the Oakland A's in the league, if it looks like they are going to be the cheap team in the league, that just cashes checks when the tv revenue comes in. By forcing teams to spend money and having a cap, you can create a system like the NFL. I imagine that is their goal with the idea of a new subdivision.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- Virginia Tech waves from the corner -

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont see it being a pay to play league... This ain't Sam's or Costco..

Hell, they getting money from the SEC conference ... from all of the bowl games the SEC schools get and split up amongst each school.

And After Texas and Oklahoma joins.... I dont see how it can get any bigger ... for a while

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see it being a pay to play league... This ain't Sam's or Costco..

Hell, they getting money from the SEC conference ... from all of the bowl games the SEC schools get and split up amongst each school.

And After Texas and Oklahoma joins.... I dont see how it can get any bigger ... for a while

I see it as 100% a pay to play league. The reporter even said "NEWS: NCAA president Charlie Baker is proposing the creation of a new FBS subdivision that would allow the highest-resource schools to compensate athletes directly through a trust as well as NIL"

That to me means, don't come here if you aren't going to pony up a lot of money. I can't imagine they are going to let a bunch of teams come in and suck the tv revenue teet of this subdivision. I could even see them not allowing teams below a certain threshold of what the football program generates. If vast majority of your football revenue comes from the tv money, I don't see them being invited, or lasting very long. We'll see.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same could be said for a lot of our realignment moves. Money talks.

I see it as 100% a pay to play league. The reporter even said "NEWS: NCAA president Charlie Baker is proposing the creation of a new FBS subdivision that would allow the highest-resource schools to compensate athletes directly through a trust as well as NIL"

That to me means, don't come here if you aren't going to pony up a lot of money. I can't imagine they are going to let a bunch of teams come in and suck the tv revenue teet of this subdivision. I could even see them not allowing teams below a certain threshold of what the football program generates. If vast majority of your football revenue comes from the tv money, I don't see them being invited. We'll see.

I dont read that as paying to be in the league... I read that as school with the biggest football budget who are able to pay players more and help them make the most of the NIL...

If athlete's from shitty Colorado can pull in 5 million deals... Im sure Vandy is big enough

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont read that as paying to be in the league... I read that as school with the biggest football budget who are able to pay players more and help them make the most of the NIL...

If athlete's from shitty Colorado can pull in 5 million deals... Im sure Vandy is big enough

C'mon now, it's like saying, "you don't have to buy your way into the club, but you have to have a certain income to come in." It's saying the same thing. They only want big money programs in.

Here is what I could see happening. Here are the top 10 football revenue programs from 2022 (https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...rts-rankings-by-revenue-2022-ohio-state-texas). I could see this new subdivision establishing a floor of let's say $100 million in revenue or so. Also, each program would have to spend it's entire tv revenue on the football program. I just don't see programs like Vandy having that kind of revenue and signing up to spend that kind of money either. Again, I don't know what it means, but when they put in the about the "highest-resource schools", that tells me they don't want the lower resourced programs involved.