• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Disney CEO Pushes Back Against Idea of Superhero Fatigue, Says Movies Just Weren't Good Enough

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know you are not talking about else-worlds... but i hate else-worlds... dont think they ever do the job that they were intended to do...
no...just talking about when a mantle goes to someone else...or a super power is given to someone who isn't a white male.

Q hates minorities and women, so whenever he sees something that he considers "SJW" he cries about it.

like I am sure he hates that Iron Man is now a black girl with an afro.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no...just talking about when a mantle goes to someone else...or a super power is given to someone who isn't a white male.

Q hates minorities and women, so whenever he sees something that he considers "SJW" he cries about it.

'
i know... but i didnt want to watch a political debate here so i tried to re-interperet...

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'
i know... but i didnt want to watch a political debate here so i tried to re-interperet...
I am not a huge fan of the What If style of comics...but I really do like the idea of alternate realities and string theory in which something goes a little different and something else happens.

it just adds a little bit of variety.

let's be honest...most super powers have already been imagined and dished out...and the good ones can't always be stuck to just one individual...that gets boring

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice projection clown show

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a huge fan of the What If style of comics...but I really do like the idea of alternate realities and string theory in which something goes a little different and something else happens.

it just adds a little bit of variety.

let's be honest...most super powers have already been imagined and dished out...and the good ones can't always be stuck to just one individual...that gets boring

it would if done properly... and was a character study on the character... but they tend to all be cop outs IMO...

for an example, when superman was a russian, he was a bad guy because he was a russian... but then Lois lane comes to rescue, and turns him into a good guy... thats not a character study... thats a cop out...

same thing when superman was batman, he was damaged because of his parents death, just like the real bruce, but because he had all this power, he became unhinged, but then lois comes to save the day... so its all ok....

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would if done properly... and was a character study on the character... but they tend to all be cop outs IMO...

for an example, when superman was a russian, he was a bad guy because he was a russian... but then Lois lane comes to rescue, and turns him into a good guy... thats not a character study... thats a cop out...

same thing when superman was batman, he was damaged because of his parents death, just like the real bruce, but because he had all this power, he became unhinged, but then lois comes to save the day... so its all ok....
agree...some are done right and sustainable...but others just go back to align with the original story.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree...some are done right and sustainable...but others just go back to align with the original story.

surprisingly the best else-world movie/comic/tv-show i have seen was the Flash.... i think they did the multiverse the best.... much better than any marvel movie... and better than any what-ifs...

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surprisingly the best else-world movie/comic/tv-show i have seen was the Flash.... i think they did the multiverse the best.... much better than any marvel movie... and better than any what-ifs...
I never got into the The Flash but I can see it.

I do like Spidey's multiverse though...while making it fun, you also have some bad ass Spidermen who ain't on the side of good.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never got into the The Flash but I can see it.

I do like Spidey's multiverse though...while making it fun, you also have some bad ass Spidermen who ain't on the side of good.

yea... that was a good movie too... but that was more fan-service than them doing the mutliverse well...

dont get me wrong... i actually loved that movie... but the multiverse was done pretty poorly...

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea... that was a good movie too... but that was more fan-service than them doing the mutliverse well...

dont get me wrong... i actually loved that movie... but the multiverse was done pretty poorly...
well it started with the clone stuff right? I don't remember that storyline all that well

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate the concept of the multiverse, I think they kinda needed it in the MCU in order to bring in the X-verse. If you want to tell the Mutant story, you have to go back to prehistoric times, and including that, all of the sudden, into the MCU would be awkward, so having a “metacrisis” type story is kinda needed. Disgusting medicine, but you gotta take it. Now, hopefully, after Deadpool, we will be done with it (more or less - we will still have Loki and What If…)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe to add to the idea that there isnt superhero fatigue but I watched about 30 minutes of Wish and its very obviously not good. They are definitely having issues across the board and its not really specific to SW or Marvel.

At some point Disney princess turned into Disney manic pixie dream girl. I'd say it starts with Tangled, but you also have Anna in Frozen, Moana, Mirabel in Encanto, and the Wish Princess seems to have the same vibe. Five modern Disney characters that are pretty close to interchangeable although historically Disney kids stuff is pretty formulaic. Usually its carried by its art style (its all the same now) and songs (these seem to be the only thing determining lasting power atm)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe to add to the idea that there isnt superhero fatigue but I watched about 30 minutes of Wish and its very obviously not good. They are definitely having issues across the board and its not really specific to SW or Marvel.

At some point Disney princess turned into Disney manic pixie dream girl. I'd say it starts with Tangled, but you also have Anna in Frozen, Moana, Mirabel in Encanto, and the Wish Princess seems to have the same vibe. Five modern Disney characters that are pretty close to interchangeable although historically Disney kids stuff is pretty formulaic. Usually its carried by its art style (its all the same now) and songs (these seem to be the only thing determining lasting power atm)
The Disney Princesses from yesteryear were ancient stories that Disney grabbed from the public domain. The stories were tried and true. They also didnt create a new Disney Princess every other year. The Princesses had time to breathe and each had a whole generation all to themselves. Today, a new cookie cutter princess is introduced every few years, so they all blend together, particularly because they are all essentially the same character. Their minute differences don’t have time to mature.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Disney Princesses from yesteryear were ancient stories that Disney grabbed from the public domain. The stories were tried and true. They also didnt create a new Disney Princess every other year. The Princesses had time to breathe and each had a whole generation all to themselves. Today, a new cookie cutter princess is introduced every few years, so they all blend together, particularly because they are all essentially the same character. Their minute differences don’t have time to mature.
I really don't think you know what you are talking about here.

what princesses are "cookie cutter"?

and the "tried and true" princesses weren't so when those stories were introduced. You think Snow White was a household name when that movie was made?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They don’t mature at all

They’re boring

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so is the complaint that the princesses are capable on their own without needing some prince to come and rescue them?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think you know what you are talking about here.

what princesses are "cookie cutter"?

and the "tried and true" princesses weren't so when those stories were introduced. You think Snow White was a household name when that movie was made?
Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc were all established stories that had been around for centuries (or more) in one way or another. Sure, Disney introduced them to modern pop culture, but they were not “original works”.

Many of the early Disney Princess stories come directly from the Brothers Grimm, which were themselves basically collections of older oral stories. Brothers Grim, btw, was originally published in the early 1800s, so by the time Disney started (totally legally and appropriately) telling their versions of the stories, they had already been “published” for over 100 years.

But you are right. I don’t really know what I am talking about here.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc were all established stories that had been around for centuries (or more) in one way or another. Sure, Disney introduced them to modern pop culture, but they were not “original works”.

Many of the early Disney Princess stories come directly from the Brothers Grimm, which were themselves basically collections of older oral stories. Brothers Grim, btw, was originally published in the early 1800s, so by the time Disney started (totally legally and appropriately) telling their versions of the stories, they had already been “published” for over 100 years.

But you are right. I don’t really know what I am talking about here.
right, and many of those stories were changed up by Disney to make them more appealing.

Disney modernized many of them for the time they were created...but those same princesses wouldn't fly in this day and age, so they evolved what they see as a "princess"

I do not see any of them as "cookie cutter" but they do have a common trait in that they are independent characters who can survive without the help of others.