• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cardinals eyeing a trade for Alex Smith

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Cards fans hate this? Smith is fine until you groom the next QB. This QB class sucks monkey butt and you're drafting late enough anyway it wont matter. Lamar Jackson also looked like a complete pleb in his loss.

Just don't hang onto Smith and ignore picking up a successor until he's 38...

Cards also have a great running game with Johnson (who will hopefully return healthy) and that acquisition would likely make Fitzgerald stick around. Draft a wideout to keep up when Fitz does actually retire and compete for the division.
I wouldn't say Cards fans. It's mostly just me. I am in the vast minority. Hopefully I am wrong.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume you exclude Jacksonville because of the cap situation?

Cause to me, thats makes the most sense out of all the teams for Alex Smith

Yeah I left off JAX....I think they might still be a pc or two away, but I don't know how much of a playoff upgrade he would be.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to completely rebuild they shouldn't trade for him, they should just draft one. But if they want to compete next year still then there's definitely not gonna be a better QB available than Alex Smith.

Could they rebuild like Kansas City did? I mean, they never won, but they didn't have Mahomes until this year. If you can stay afloat, draft someone sooner than the Chiefs did (year one, two, or three instead of five), it could work without going through the losses. I don't think it'd be 8-8, either.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex has become this era's Steve DeBerg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I hold my QB to a higher standard than mediocrity in the playoffs is probably my response for this. Alex Smith has been very accurate in the intermediate (when willing) part of the field for the past 10 years or so. He needs to make that throw. That TE is also 6'8"
The weird ish is I've been called an Alex homer many, many, many more times than I have been accused of being biased against Smith. I've been a guy who has said Smith is pretty decent for years. But he has some tough flaws to get around without a very strong roster. Smith had a nice year, don't think it's that sustainable, but the production is what it is for this year.

I don't accept being relegated to a Fluke-o or Eli run to a SB.

That's because you have the next guy. Arizona doesn't. Maybe they can, but you're speaking with a new starter who has one year of experience behind a QB guru, with a very professional QB in his best season who was willing to help, with Kelce, Hill, and Hunt. I know that speaks against Smith to have those guys, but Arizona doesn't. They have a Hunt in Johnson and Fitzgerald may come back, but where you are in your thinking, of your standards, are from a different place. Everyone wants an elite QB over Smith. That's isn't some high standard of fandom.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, he was absolutely fantastic in the first half. Over the course of the whole game? I would be hard pressed to say he had a bad game, but 0 points in the 2nd half speaks for itself against a bad pass defense; and yes he had enough opportunities to do so even if he didn't have many due to the defense which is its own problem with the lack of depth and just talent in certain spots. I am also pretty hard pressed to say he didn't disappear for a whole half. Against a defense like the Titans I am not going to accept that.

As an aside though, 21 points really should have been enough against the Titans so it's a tough way to go, but he has a some blame in this.

Game is over right here if he makes this throw. He doesn't pull the trigger.

Another play that's pretty clearly open. He either is just completely unwilling or is obtuse. Tries to run for it, fails miserably.

Through an entire game, you can only pick out two throws? We can do that to any QB, in 99% of playoff performances. I mean, he's also the reason they had that lead to begin with. His numbers speak for themselves. Also, I don't blame him for not having a big 2nd half without Kelce.

I don't see a single portion of blame, which can be tossed on Smith. He missed ONE throw... that's the beef. I think that's a bigger indicator that the rest of the team failed him. Not the other way around.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could do a lot worse then Alex Smith as a stop gap QB while you find/groom his eventual successer. I personally hope he doesnt go anywhere near AZ.

I wish he was in the market for a trade last year, and could have been a stop-gap for Trubisky.

At his age, I don't think he carries a big price tag. He'd have been extremely ideal. Trubisky was not supposed to play this past year, and many thought he'd benefit from sitting two years.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through an entire game, you can only pick out two throws? We can do that to any QB, in 99% of playoff performances. I mean, he's also the reason they had that lead to begin with. His numbers speak for themselves. Also, I don't blame him for not having a big 2nd half without Kelce.

I don't see a single portion of blame, which can be tossed on Smith. He missed ONE throw... that's the beef. I think that's a bigger indicator that the rest of the team failed him. Not the other way around.
Rapoport seems to think the Chiefs could get more than what they paid for Smith originally; a 2nd and a conditional third at the top of the draft.

The Chiefs are likely letting the rest of the NFL know to prepare their trade offers in the instance that they make their starting quarterback available on the open market. Rapoport notes that the Chiefs are not only open to it but that the actual returns on the trade could actually be better than what they traded for Smith in the first place.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rapoport seems to think the Chiefs could get more than what they paid for Smith originally; a 2nd and a conditional third at the top of the draft.
well sounds like he is going to the browns then LOL

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope the Rams don't hurt him.. :D

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well sounds like he is going to the browns then LOL
Alex Smith to the pit of misery!

YawningShockedAlligatorsnappingturtle-max-1mb.gif

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 2nd rounder would be pretty great but I'd rather see a 3rd rounder and a trade to Arizona than a 2nd rounder and a trade to Denver or Jacksonville.

CruiseControl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart move here for cardinals would definitely be to stick with Carson Palmer.... next year is going to be his breakout year.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cards wont draft a qb high they will run smith for 5 years like they did with palmer,hitch their wagon to an aging vet.............who had his best season ever.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I approve of this trade.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After I throw up in my mouth, I will post the thread...

Everyday I am hearing more and more rumors that this might happen and I don't like it. If it happens, prove me wrong and tell me why this makes sense.

And yes, I know Palmer retired and all the backups are free agents, etc. but what does Alex Smith do? Get Larry to come back for another year? He is not a move the needle QB. The offense needs an overhaul. I guess if you can shore up the oline and grab another receiver you can buy a couple of years, but at some point you have to blow this thing up.

8-8 sucks. Start form scratch and build a solid offense.

Arizona Cardinals might be eyeing a trade for QB Alex Smith

Cards just need to draft a young QB and roll the dice, no reason to keep getting aging QB's...