• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cardinals eyeing a trade for Alex Smith

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's an iNT, then his arm is so truly terrible that it limits the offense; or he has a brutal lack of anticipation. It's not a throw without risk, but it's a risk he needs to make in a playoff game.

Not an easy pick by any means, but I would put the percentage of completion of that pass pretty low. Lead the receiver to the middle and you take him right to the LB, throw it up the seam and the safety is right there. You can't just say "He's open, throw it to that spot right now!"

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's an INT, then his arm is so truly terrible that it limits the offense; or he has a brutal lack of anticipation. It's not a throw without risk, but it's a risk he needs to make in a playoff game.

Not to mention, that ain't friggin Kelce running that route either.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not an easy pick by any means, but I would put the percentage of completion of that pass pretty low. Lead the receiver to the middle and you take him right to the LB, throw it up the seam and the safety is right there. You can't just say "He's open, throw it to that spot right now!"
I think I hold my QB to a higher standard than mediocrity in the playoffs is probably my response for this. Alex Smith has been very accurate in the intermediate (when willing) part of the field for the past 10 years or so. He needs to make that throw. That TE is also 6'8"

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weird ish is I've been called an Alex homer many, many, many more times than I have been accused of being biased against Smith. I've been a guy who has said Smith is pretty decent for years. But he has some tough flaws to get around without a very strong roster. Smith had a nice year, don't think it's that sustainable, but the production is what it is for this year.

I don't accept being relegated to a Fluke-o or Eli run to a SB.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After I throw up in my mouth, I will post the thread...

Everyday I am hearing more and more rumors that this might happen and I don't like it. If it happens, prove me wrong and tell me why this makes sense.

And yes, I know Palmer retired and all the backups are free agents, etc. but what does Alex Smith do? Get Larry to come back for another year? He is not a move the needle QB. The offense needs an overhaul. I guess if you can shore up the oline and grab another receiver you can buy a couple of years, but at some point you have to blow this thing up.

8-8 sucks. Start form scratch and build a solid offense.

Arizona Cardinals might be eyeing a trade for QB Alex Smith

IMO, the only teams that really makes sense (paying the trade price, and the cap hit price) to trade for A Smith would be DEN #1, they are built to win with his skill set. AZ #2...maybe a little further away from a title even with Smith, but add David Johnson, and Fitz back in the fold with those DEF pcs...it's a 10 win team with Smith as the triggerman.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great like Drew Stanton or great like Blaine Gabbert? Which great is your preference?
Mahomes I hope. He looks capable. Needs to calm things down, but looks very capable and cheap. He would have the armstrength to make throw 1 in his sleep; it's a throw I expect top QB's to make come playoff time.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weird ish is I've been called an Alex homer many, many, many more times than I have been accused of being biased against Smith. I've been a guy who has said Smith is pretty decent for years. But he has some tough flaws to get around without a very strong roster. Smith had a nice year, don't think it's that sustainable, but the production is what it is for this year.

They're all fluk-o then. The Seahawks would have won their super bowl with Alex Smith. The broncos too.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes I hope. He looks capable. Needs to calm things down, but looks very capable and cheap. He would have the armstrength to make throw 1 in his sleep; it's a throw I expect top QB's to make come playoff time.
When does he play for the cardinals?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you quoted me saying the cardinals could do much worse than Smith.
I don't believe that's what I was communicating or said for that matter, but yes, very true. That status quo is not good enough to win a SB without a great roster. The Chiefs have a pretty offensive outfit for the most part, but the defense is brutal. It's time to move on and reload for a SB run.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked up his playoff numbers and I was actually kind of shocked. Although his record is 2-5, he does have 14 TD & 2 picks. He averages about 250 yds per game.

Just watching him when the game was on the line last week he looked like he had no confidence. He was breaking the pocket too soon, had happy feet and made bad decisions. Maybe that was due to coaching or lack of talent, but it was evident he was not comfortable in that situation.

You are listing some of Alex's flaws that he's had for years. It isn't coaching or lack of talent. Alex can get gun shy in the pocket if he has to adapt from his pre snap reads. Alex will check down before making a difficult throw so he throws few interceptions. He is good QB not a great one. He will function with the talent around him but doesn't elevate the talent around him with his play. He would be a good bridge QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I watched Smith for years and I think you are pretty accurate in your assessment

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that's what I was communicating or said for that matter, but yes, very true. That status quo is not good enough to win a SB without a great roster. The Chiefs have a pretty offensive outfit for the most part, but the defense is brutal. It's time to move on and reload for a SB run.
No shit, they didn't draft Mahomes to ride the bench until alex Smith retires. But this thread is about the cardinals and the disaster Arians left them with at QB.