• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cardinals eyeing a trade for Alex Smith

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and me both. The Cards got Warner at age 33 so fans are acting like "why not Smith"? It's silly.

Warner played his best on the biggest stages, Smith is just the opposite.

Smith has played some real nice playoff games.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you see me screaming to lure Palmer out of retirement?
I'm not sure what you are screaming. What I am saying is that Palmer was a really good quarterback for you guys and I think Smith would be as well.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking aloud here, but you have both the Rams and the 49ers both on the rise, Hawks are on the decline with a rebuild ( needed on the Oline and running back) maybe just maybe their thinking if they do "tank it" it would set the franchise back further and some of these fans down there will walk .....
Alex Smith is not a huge draw. They have a strong enough base of fans to rebuild.

Again, who knows? Alex Smith just doesn't excite me. If they do pick him up, I will be rooting for him.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After I throw up in my mouth, I will post the thread...

Everyday I am hearing more and more rumors that this might happen and I don't like it. If it happens, prove me wrong and tell me why this makes sense.

And yes, I know Palmer retired and all the backups are free agents, etc. but what does Alex Smith do? Get Larry to come back for another year? He is not a move the needle QB. The offense needs an overhaul. I guess if you can shore up the oline and grab another receiver you can buy a couple of years, but at some point you have to blow this thing up.

8-8 sucks. Start form scratch and build a solid offense.

Arizona Cardinals might be eyeing a trade for QB Alex Smith
If they want to completely rebuild they shouldn't trade for him, they should just draft one. But if they want to compete next year still then there's definitely not gonna be a better QB available than Alex Smith.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what you are screaming. What I am saying is that Palmer was a really good quarterback for you guys and I think Smith would be as well.
Well, I am obviously in the minority here when it comes to Smith so if they do get him in a trade maybe it will work.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked up his playoff numbers and I was actually kind of shocked. Although his record is 2-5, he does have 14 TD & 2 picks. He averages about 250 yds per game.

Just watching him when the game was on the line last week he looked like he had no confidence. He was breaking the pocket too soon, had happy feet and made bad decisions. Maybe that was due to coaching or lack of talent, but it was evident he was not comfortable in that situation.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically yes. He's not all that consistent outside of avoiding INT's however. That has its uses but he can also give you some nice stats and not show up for long stretches of the game. Saturday was a great encapsulation of what he does, good and bad. I don't think Arizona is in a division, has the roster, or lacks a culture that would benefit from a bridge QB like say Cleveland. It doesn't make a ton of sense from just a football standpoint. I keep seeing Arizona in these rumors and I remember they wanted him last time was available too before they got Palmer, so I don't know what their deal is, but it seems real.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, are they afraid to just draft someone or something. As a Hawks fan I would be ok with this because it just keeps pushing the rebuild back. With SF and LA having young coaches and QBs, I figured Zona would be on their way to doing the same thing. The idea that was thrown out of Shurmur/Keenum coming to AZ makes more sense then this.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked up his playoff numbers and I was actually kind of shocked. Although his record is 2-5, he does have 14 TD & 2 picks. He averages about 250 yds per game.

Just watching him when the game was on the line last week he looked like he had no confidence. He was breaking the pocket too soon, had happy feet and made bad decisions. Maybe that was due to coaching or lack of talent, but it was evident he was not comfortable in that situation.
Looking at some of the tape coming out- nah, people were getting open in the 2nd half. He just flat panicked at the sight of pressure. The pass was open with the Titans coming after the run, Reid went after it. Smith failed him. I actually think Wilson misplayed the ball on the final play and jumped too early, but it was a tough catch to make.

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, are they afraid to just draft someone or something. As a Hawks fan I would be ok with this because it just keeps pushing the rebuild back. With SF and LA having young coaches and QBs, I figured Zona would be on their way to doing the same thing. The idea that was thrown out of Shurmur/Keenum coming to AZ makes more sense then this.
I don't know what they're doing at this point either. I would be doing everything I could to get Mayfield (if they like him of course) and if that screws over a draft, so be it. They have 3 teams now in the division with what appears to be a strong QB situation. They got to play the long game here. Smith is the opposite of that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically yes. He's not all that consistent outside of avoiding INT's however. That has its uses but he can also give you some nice stats and not show up for long stretches of the game. Saturday was a great encapsulation of what he does, good and bad. I don't think Arizona is in a division, has the roster, or lacks a culture that would benefit from a bridge QB like say Cleveland. It doesn't make a ton of sense from just a football standpoint. I keep seeing Arizona in these rumors and I remember they wanted him last time was available too before they got Palmer, so I don't know what their deal is, but it seems real.

If Saturday is an encapsulation of Smith in the playoffs. That bodes extremely well for him. He was great, and pinning any part of that loss on him is absurd. IMO. Is there a playoff game where Smith really ever failed his team? His playoff numbers are other worldly. 14 TD's 2 INT's 97 QB Rating 7 yards per attempt 61.7% CMP 250 yards per game.

Last year is the only game where I can remember him actually not playing wel.

He also did this once.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought he played great all game long. They never had the ball in the second half, which is rough.

I mean, you take away Kelce from that offense and you're left with a collection of 5'10 kick returners for WR's.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at some of the tape coming out- nah, people were getting open in the 2nd half. He just flat panicked at the sight of pressure. The pass was open with the Titans coming after the run, Reid went after it. Smith failed him. I actually think Wilson misplayed the ball on the final play and jumped too early, but it was a tough catch to make.

Your bias against Smith is overwhelmingly glaring. You can go back and look at all of those throws. The only one you could argue he missed was the last throw to Wilson. High, but Wilson got his hands on it. Could have been a better throw, but Wilson probably needs to have it.

He played a very good game.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Saturday is an encapsulation of Smith in the playoffs. That bodes extremely well for him. He was great, and pinning any part of that loss on him is absurd. IMO. Is there a playoff game where Smith really ever failed his team? His playoff numbers are other worldly. 14 TD's 2 INT's 97 QB Rating 7 yards per attempt 61.7% CMP 250 yards per game.

Last year is the only game where I can remember him actually not playing wel.

He also did this once.

Like I said, he was absolutely fantastic in the first half. Over the course of the whole game? I would be hard pressed to say he had a bad game, but 0 points in the 2nd half speaks for itself against a bad pass defense; and yes he had enough opportunities to do so even if he didn't have many due to the defense which is its own problem with the lack of depth and just talent in certain spots. I am also pretty hard pressed to say he didn't disappear for a whole half. Against a defense like the Titans I am not going to accept that.

As an aside though, 21 points really should have been enough against the Titans so it's a tough way to go, but he has a some blame in this.

Game is over right here if he makes this throw. He doesn't pull the trigger.

Another play that's pretty clearly open. He either is just completely unwilling or is obtuse. Tries to run for it, fails miserably.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Smith as a guy that can look good until the bright lights are on him. Sure he can bridge the gap, but they aren't making a deep playoff push with him. Maybe I am wrong. I just assume you tank for a year or two and stock pile some high draft picks. Give the new coach, whoever that may be, a clean slate.

Most people here seem to think it makes sense. Maybe it does. Who knows.
I think Smith is 8-12 in QBs personally. Based on preference.

And four of the guys ahead of him are old or on IR.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your bias against Smith is overwhelmingly glaring. You can go back and look at all of those throws. The only one you could argue he missed was the last throw to Wilson. High, but Wilson got his hands on it. Could have been a better throw, but Wilson probably needs to have it.

He played a very good game.
He did- he also played poorly outside of a few plays an entire half; and is complicit in the Titans having the ball as much as they did.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I am obviously in the minority here when it comes to Smith so if they do get him in a trade maybe it will work.

I think, no I would take him over Cousin's if I was going the FA or trade route....

Then again, it could be a serious smoke screen for Bridgewater if Minny is stupid enough to let him walk.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can do much much worse than Alex Smith. Like most of the worthless teams do.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, he was absolutely fantastic in the first half. Over the course of the whole game? I would be hard pressed to say he had a bad game, but 0 points in the 2nd half speaks for itself against a bad pass defense; and yes he had enough opportunities to do so even if he didn't have many due to the defense which is its own problem with the lack of depth and just talent in certain spots. I am also pretty hard pressed to say he didn't disappear for a whole half. Against a defense like the Titans I am not going to accept that.

As an aside though, 21 points really should have been enough against the Titans so it's a tough way to go, but he has a some blame in this.

Game is over right here if he makes this throw. He doesn't pull the trigger.

Another play that's pretty clearly open. He either is just completely unwilling or is obtuse. Tries to run for it, fails miserably.

That first play, he makes that throw and that's a pick waiting to happen. Sure the TE has cleared one LB, but the other LB is right there. Bullshit putting that on Smith IMO.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That first play, he makes that throw and that's a pick waiting to happen. Sure the TE has cleared one LB, but the other LB is right there. Bullshit putting that on Smith IMO.
If that's an INT, then his arm is so truly terrible that it limits the offense; or he has a brutal lack of anticipation. It's not a throw without risk, but it's a risk he needs to make in a playoff game.