• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B'OB to the NFL?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I said that a couple of posts above. My feeling in that regard is he knew he was coming in after a legend. No one did anything to hurt him. He wasn't the man for the job. S'ok. He helped the kids get through a tough first year and he was able to attract Hackenburg. I believe we are going to get a better coach and hopefully keep Hack.

At first I was unhappy about this move then thought about it. O'Brien's game day coaching was average at best. People are giving him a lot of credit for going 15-9 while he was here but he won with Joe's kids for the most part. Rarely does the first coach after a legend last and Bill couldn't handle the pressure. Thanks for helping those kids through those two years and good luck because I think he will be fired from Houston in three or four years.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say 3 years sounds correct. It will all depend on who they take #1 and how well he performs. Most likely they take Bridgewater and B'OB's future will be determined how well he does.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been away since NYE, BOB or as I'll now refer to him LOB (Lyin O Brien) flat out scumbagged everyone on his way out. He was offered what he asked, he lied to recruits, he alerted PSU at 10pm NYE and then he has Jones spill that bullshit about Paterno faction. this asshole had support from the fanbase, and the boosters. To say a small faction of people who won't accept anyone drove him off is a fucking cop out. If that's the case, he's the thinnest skinned fuck head ever and won't last 2 seasons in pros. I wish him all the success and same results Chud had in Cleveland this year. He'll be an NFL OC in 3 years or less

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been away since NYE, BOB or as I'll now refer to him LOB (Lyin O Brien) flat out scumbagged everyone on his way out. He was offered what he asked, he lied to recruits, he alerted PSU at 10pm NYE and then he has Jones spill that bullshit about Paterno faction. this asshole had support from the fanbase, and the boosters. To say a small faction of people who won't accept anyone drove him off is a fucking cop out. If that's the case, he's the thinnest skinned fuck head ever and won't last 2 seasons in pros. I wish him all the success and same results Chud had in Cleveland this year. He'll be an NFL OC in 3 years or less

:agree: He is not worthy of being a Nittany Lion. We'll be fine. I keep hearing how he do so much with so little. He was 15-9 with a team that had a number of pros. He sucked off of Paterno's players and acted like a little bitch boy on the way out.

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: He is not worthy of being a Nittany Lion. We'll be fine. I keep hearing how he do so much with so little. He was 15-9 with a team that had a number of pros. He sucked off of Paterno's players and acted like a little bitch boy on the way out.

I would have to disagree with him sucking off Paterno's players (that sounds horrible...). He got more out of those same kids than Paterno ever did. This past season the offense was largely due to Hackenburg who wasn't exactly one of Paterno's kids. What players on offense we used we got alot more out of or actually put them to use where they were buried by the old staff and under utilized in favor of simply going with upper classmen. I'll be the first to admit that on defense he got by with what was already there, but that side of the ball was for the most part properly coached to begin with.

As far as being a bitch boy, I'll wait and see when some tell-all interviews take place revealing what all was taking place behind the scenes. Most people are attacking him based upon speculation and one article in which he vented and the author even admitted that he felt that he baited Bill into saying what he did. Until then I am going to remember him for leading this team through the roughest patch of its history and for giving us an offense that was actually inspiring to watch and not a predictable 8 play system. He has the next coach set up to come in to immediate success.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree all you like, I won't change my opinion. He was 7-5 with Hackenburg. LMAO!!! Now that's a good record. Sorry he isn't worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Paterno. It's okay, rarely does a coach who replaces a legend live up to expectations.

I'll give credit where credit is due. LOB was a good OC but I don't think he was a good HC. But hell I am one of the Paterno-faction that dared to say. Wow, losing Vanderlinden could hurt recruiting. Shame on me. :L

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree all you like, I won't change my opinion. He was 7-5 with Hackenburg. LMAO!!! Now that's a good record. Sorry he isn't worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Paterno. It's okay, rarely does a coach who replaces a legend live up to expectations.

I'll give credit where credit is due. LOB was a good OC but I don't think he was a good HC. But hell I am one of the Paterno-faction that dared to say. Wow, losing Vanderlinden could hurt recruiting. Shame on me. :L

Move on all of us. He is gone and now its next man up. What BOB said or didn't say is history. RIP Paterno, Good luck in Houston O'Brien and ______ we support you as the new coach of this amazing team.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to disagree with him sucking off Paterno's players (that sounds horrible...). He got more out of those same kids than Paterno ever did. This past season the offense was largely due to Hackenburg who wasn't exactly one of Paterno's kids. What players on offense we used we got alot more out of or actually put them to use where they were buried by the old staff and under utilized in favor of simply going with upper classmen. I'll be the first to admit that on defense he got by with what was already there, but that side of the ball was for the most part properly coached to begin with.

As far as being a bitch boy, I'll wait and see when some tell-all interviews take place revealing what all was taking place behind the scenes. Most people are attacking him based upon speculation and one article in which he vented and the author even admitted that he felt that he baited Bill into saying what he did. Until then I am going to remember him for leading this team through the roughest patch of its history and for giving us an offense that was actually inspiring to watch and not a predictable 8 play system. He has the next coach set up to come in to immediate success.

NO, I am judging the slimy fucker on what he told recruits 2 days before he left. straight up lied to them and their families when he knew he was leaving. They found out on the god damn ticker on ESPN. He also told a kid who he flipped over the weekend, there is no way I'm leaving, I'd never have you commit, then leave 2 days later, that would be very wrong on my part....no shit ass chin.

I'm glad he did what he did, got hack here and got us through the worst part of sanctions, but his exit was one of sleaziest I've seen....kiffin/graham like

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Losing Vandy would actually help recruiting. He's not well receieved by a lot of kids and is perceived as stand offish at times with them. Great coach, but vastly over rated as a recruiter. If we get someone in NJ that can recruit, we will KILL it there

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO, I am judging the slimy fucker on what he told recruits 2 days before he left. straight up lied to them and their families when he knew he was leaving. They found out on the god damn ticker on ESPN. He also told a kid who he flipped over the weekend, there is no way I'm leaving, I'd never have you commit, then leave 2 days later, that would be very wrong on my part....no shit ass chin.

I'm glad he did what he did, got hack here and got us through the worst part of sanctions, but his exit was one of sleaziest I've seen....kiffin/graham like

He was an employee of the university tasked with coaching the football team and getting the best players possible through recruiting. He did that job up until the last minute even if it meant that he lied to the kids. You can't effectively run around saying that "Hey I'm most likely leaving, but you should totally come here." Kids just won't buy into the program if he does that if he, you can't show them instability which was a mistake I think he made by interviewing last year. I know that I would have berated him if he had been running around trying to recruit, telling them that he was planning on leaving as soon as he gets a reasonable offer.

Maybe I am giving him too much credit, maybe not. Like I said I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt until some time passes and there are some tell-alls about what really went on behind the scenes with his negotiations with PSU.

Again this is just my opinion and I'm not trying to say yours is wrong.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Vandy would actually help recruiting. He's not well receieved by a lot of kids and is perceived as stand offish at times with them. Great coach, but vastly over rated as a recruiter. If we get someone in NJ that can recruit, we will KILL it there

Maybe so, what I remember is he was a lousy coach at MD but when he left Ralph Friedgen's best three years were with Vanderlinden's player. He won at least 10 games three straight years. That ended when Vandy's players were gone.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so, what I remember is he was a lousy coach at MD but when he left Ralph Friedgen's best three years were with Vanderlinden's player. He won at least 10 games three straight years. That ended when Vandy's players were gone.

Several coaches from ptominent NJ HS's said he was a great coach but sometimes rcouldn't relate to kids. SAid if we had a more energetic recruiter in the area, we'd own it

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was an employee of the university tasked with coaching the football team and getting the best players possible through recruiting. He did that job up until the last minute even if it meant that he lied to the kids. You can't effectively run around saying that "Hey I'm most likely leaving, but you should totally come here." Kids just won't buy into the program if he does that if he, you can't show them instability which was a mistake I think he made by interviewing last year. I know that I would have berated him if he had been running around trying to recruit, telling them that he was planning on leaving as soon as he gets a reasonable offer.

Maybe I am giving him too much credit, maybe not. Like I said I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt until some time passes and there are some tell-alls about what really went on behind the scenes with his negotiations with PSU.

Again this is just my opinion and I'm not trying to say yours is wrong.

He knew he was taking the job and flat out told them I am 100% staying 2 days before he left. He could've had the decency to let them know when they asked him point blank and he knew he wasn't coming back

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember even "insider" information can be spun. Did he really get everything he asked for? And if he did, did Houston make him an offer he "couldn't refuse". Surely he played both sides against each other to drive up his asking price which doesn't bother me at all. His actions weren't those of a man who was sure he was going to leave, and until college coaches are sure, they all say they are staying.

Our fanbase would kill B'OB even more if he was telling kids he was "probably out" and not recruiting for the last couple weeks of his employment.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He served his purpose. He helped hold the team together and got good recruits to come to PSU during the tough part of the sanctions. Now it will be another coach to lie to the recruits to get them to commit.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to LJ, Obrien has called ever commit to explain his situation and why he left.

He didn't have to do anything. I find this action of his to be classy and it actually might help keep some recruits. We are all mad that he left but once again he didn't have to look back and help PSU.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Trashing O'Brian and claiming he isn't "worthy of being a Nittany Lion" is an embarrassing action to take. He did a fine job and the school is worse off without him at this point.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trashing O'Brian and claiming he isn't "worthy of being a Nittany Lion" is an embarrassing action to take. He did a fine job and the school is worse off without him at this point.

listen, nobody should ever forget what he did for this program in a critical time. That said, he did a lot of shit that was just plain wrong behind the scenes and in his exit. Had people fired for no reason, fired Vandy BEFORE wisky game when he knew he was leaving, got all his demands met and still let after telling kids 2 days earlier, no way am I going anywhere.

I will forever be grateful for what he did in those 2 years and say he was the right guy for the job at that time, but he was never a long term guy and did not like being a college coach......at least the parts other than coaching.

We'll be fine with Al or Franklin, LOB will have his work cut out for him. If he's this thin skinned there, he won't last long

BTW, Caligula may be the best board name I've ever seen, LOL

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Might have been a little heated at his Paterno-faction comment. I'll admit that. I make no apologies though. He did lie and mislead the kids. Al has already shown that he is more honest than LOB.

Houston can have him. I think Penn State is getting a better coach if they get Golden or Franklin.