• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B'OB to the NFL?

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think O'Brien leaves for the NFL this year? I hear my Redskins might be interested in him. I really hope he stays for 20+ years.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO, he is not going anywhere. Don't believe every little blurb that mentions his name or you'll drive yourself insane. Unless Belechik suddenly decides to leave, he's here for a while.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drive myself crazy already done- I'm a DC area sports team fan (Wizards, Redskins, Capitals, Orioles and Nationals) So yeah the craziness is already complete trying to follow those teams and their ups and DOWNS.

However you both shouldn't be so naïve that O'Brien leaving for the NFL isn't a possibility other then Pats job. Yes he has family and they like the job, location, fans, etc. but anything can change in a heartbeat. Redskins are a big franchise and better then the Browns organization that he was listening to last year. I am not saying he is defiantly going to the NFL but I wouldn't bet the farm that he is staying either.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things, I love BOB and think he's great for the program, but his game day decision making has a long way to go before he's an NFL head coach. Second, he may just be a better fit in college. Guy is a great recruiter and can keep restocking with top talent every year with sanctions now gone on ships and bowls done next year. Marrone, one of his best friends, even said he don't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

He loves the challenge and wants to see it through. He's also not bailing on Hack and co after 1 year. He can build the program to the level we're accustomed to and pick his NFL job in 5 years, not settle for working for a loon like Snyder when he already makes nice bank with great job security.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He leave Danny Warbucks out of it :nod: He used to play fantasy football with the redskin roster and now having a hands off approach. Yes B'OB could choose his nfl team in 5 years but he could also leave tomorrow for (insert team name here). We wont know till next season starts. Yes I do see him staying with Hack as his qb and those 2 will do amazing things for PSU the next 3 years. Its a bright future but it could be extremely cloudy if he does leave. I'm a glass half empty guy so I don't get disappointed often and excited when I am wrong.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the chances are slim to none. With the sanctions continuing to be reduced, recruiting improving, and the prospect of playing for a bowl next year... He probably has more to lose than gain if he left. He has complete job security at PSU, it's hard to pass that up for a not so sure thing.

Also, I feel like he is leaving a lot of his offense in the bag for now. Very conservative playcalling this year is going to give way to something more exciting as we begin to play for more.

I hope I'm not wrong.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the chances are slim to none. With the sanctions continuing to be reduced, recruiting improving, and the prospect of playing for a bowl next year... He probably has more to lose than gain if he left. He has complete job security at PSU, it's hard to pass that up for a not so sure thing.

Also, I feel like he is leaving a lot of his offense in the bag for now. Very conservative playcalling this year is going to give way to something more exciting as we begin to play for more.

I hope I'm not wrong.

You're pretty much spot on.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Minnesota Vikings and the Houston Texans have contacted Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien, according to a report from CBSSports.com.
O'Brien has enjoyed a lot of success during his first two years at Penn State, despite postseason and scholarship punishments from the NCAA stemming from the Jerry Sandusky scandal. O'Brien is 15-9 in two seasons at the helm.
O'Brien does have NFL coaching experience as he was previously the offensive coorinator with the New England Patriots in 2011. Prior to holding that title, O'Brien was on the Patriots payroll as an assistant from 2007-2010.
For the Texans, this report surfacing makes sense considering they have a coaching vacancy. For the Vikings, Leslie Frazier is still the team's head coach. Frazier is definitely on the hot seat due to the poor season, with this report indicating he'll be looking for a new employer after this season.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I'm surprised it took you this long to find this one. Saw it earlier, this is from the same idiot who said he was gone last year for Philly or Cleveland. Its almost and identical article with 2 new teams inserted and no facts.

For a guy who's leaving, he's putting in an awful lot of time on the road recruiting.....was at the PA state finals tonight in Hershey after the PSU team banquet. Much like last year, no recruits are worried at all by it, which tells me the people who need to know what's going on already do.

BOB is here till Hack leaves, after that, a move would not shock me, but by then he'll have us back where we need to be and the job will be VERY attractive. I'd say we have him for 5-7 years total, he's waiting for that Pats job to open up and if he hangs around with the talent he's putting together, he'll be able to pick a much better job than the turd NFL gigs on table now.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you are correct and I do believe he is waiting for Belichick to retire.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should put a rest to the wild speculation

NFL_DRAFT_Bites ‏@NFLDraftBites 15h
Told Bill O'Brien not interested in leaving Penn State yet. Largely predicated on family being comfortable w/ special needs child.

NFL_DRAFT_Bites ‏@NFLDraftBites 28m
O'Brien's Agent Joe Linta emphasizes window of opportunity on NFL could close. But O'Brien feels time will come to return to premier NFL Job
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
NFL_DRAFT_Bites ‏@NFLDraftBites 30m
O'Brien had interest in Chiefs job last yr. One attractive aspect was U of Kansas Medical Center foremost Lissencephaly hospital in country
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
NFL_DRAFT_Bites ‏@NFLDraftBites 38m
For those questioning my Source on Bill O'Brien won't leave Penn State. It's a source close to Colleen O'Brien from Plattsburgh.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN News:
Penn State coach Bill O'Brien amended his contract last summer with the intent to lower the buyout any NFL team would have to pay the school and make it easier for him to jump to the pros, per a review of the Nittany Lions coach's contract, and there already have been conversations to reduce the NFL buyout even further.

[+] EnlargeMike McGinnis/Getty ImagesBill O'Brien's restated Penn State contract reduces the price of an NFL buyout from $19.33 million last year to $6.48 million for this year.

The restated contract shows O'Brien changed the formula for his buyout and reduced the price of an NFL buyout from $19.33 million last year to $6.48 million for this year, per the contract, whereas the buyout another school would have to pay Penn State for O'Brien is $11.08 million.
One Penn State official said O'Brien's representatives recently approached the school about potentially reducing the NFL buyout even further, a source said, though it's unclear why the school would be willing to make it even easier for its head coach to leave.
The amended contract and the idea about amending it again further signifies O'Brien's interest in returning to the NFL, now or sometime soon. It also eliminates what was an issue with hiring O'Brien last year, when he drew varying degrees of interest from the Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns, Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers.
With the end of the NFL season near, O'Brien is expected to be one of the hottest head-coaching candidates out there and his contract now is designed to make it more alluring for an NFL team such as the Houston Texans to hire him. O'Brien, however, is said to be torn about whether to leave Penn State.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that happened LAST year, it must be a slow news day on ESPN. Of course his agent will always try to negotiate it down for when he does want to leave eventually, that's his job. It also helps we have a half assed, unqualified AD keeping the seat warm till we get a full timer and new President and they know they can get over on uncle fester.

Once again, as long as recruits are content and show no concern, I won't. Felt the same last year, not one flinched and all were kept in the loop

A lot of it could be done to keep PSU in news cycle with no bowl game. Agents spoon feed these guys info.

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy holidays PSU alum and fans!

"According to a report from David Jones of the Patriot-News, “knowledgeable PSU sources” have told him that individuals representing Munchak and Schiano have “discreetly” inquired with Penn State officials to get a better sense of any possible changes to the Nittany Lions’ staff. The university is reportedly not actively seeking candidates to replace O’Brien, who is the target of several NFL teams. A third name mentioned as a possible replacement for O’Brien, should he leave for the NFL, is Vanderbilt coach James Franklin."

From Titans? Mike Munchak, Bucs? Greg Schiano reportedly interested in coaching Penn State | SI Wire

I think its an awful lot of smoke.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy holidays PSU alum and fans!

"According to a report from David Jones of the Patriot-News, “knowledgeable PSU sources” have told him that individuals representing Munchak and Schiano have “discreetly” inquired with Penn State officials to get a better sense of any possible changes to the Nittany Lions’ staff. The university is reportedly not actively seeking candidates to replace O’Brien, who is the target of several NFL teams. A third name mentioned as a possible replacement for O’Brien, should he leave for the NFL, is Vanderbilt coach James Franklin."

From Titans? Mike Munchak, Bucs? Greg Schiano reportedly interested in coaching Penn*State | SI Wire

I think its an awful lot of smoke.

This is several days old, and its not PSU reaching out to anyone if it did indeed happen. All the "smoke" around this story is coming from ESPN using something that happened in the summer, the new contract being signed and a quote that is 11 months old. There was far more legit smoke last year when BOB was using his leverage to get things done he needed for the program and was at odds with Joyner. Apparently uncle Fester has come through with what he promised and bent over backwards to give BOB what he needed.

Schiano already came out publicly and denied it and he wouldn't be anywhere near the program even if BOB left. Franklin and BOB have the same agent, so he wouldn't have to reach out through his agent to see if BOB were leaving.

BTW, Jones is a total hack and struggling to get hits on the website. That paper only publishes 2 days a week now.

Franklin would be only name from that list I'd even be remotely interested in and he'd be a HR if we ever needed a replacement

Last edited by a moderator:

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Munchak's responsel:

“I did not reach out to anybody, and nobody did on my behalf. And I don’t have an agent,” he said to the Tennesseean. “They have a coach there, and I have a job here. So it’s just not true. I don’t think there is any merit to any of the three of us, I’m sure.

“I am fighting for this job, to make it work,” Munchak said. “I am not looking for another job, and no one is looking on my behalf. I don’t know where (media) comes up with that kind of stuff.”

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are saying O'Brien is close to a deal with Texans. I hope it's wrong.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are saying O'Brien is close to a deal with Texans. I hope it's wrong.

It is, he's close to a deal.....with PSU. Been negotiating since last week. He's spoken to recruits and players, told all he's staying. He spoke to Holley and Geisecki AFTER all this broke today and confirmed to them he's not going anywhere and actually flipped a 3 star OT to us today.

Almost had new deal done with PSU, they dug in a little and leveraged the Texans job. Their #1 choice is said to be Wisenhunt.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw what Holley said and it would be a shame if BOB was telling recruits he was staying when he knows he is leaving. I highly doubt he would and I was getting nervous when I read that espn report today.