• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bleacher report: Stanton prefers Giants

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlins Agree To Framework Of Giancarlo Stanton Deals With Cards, Giants

Looks like the Marlins are done. Now Stanton gets to decide if he wants the Giants or Cards. Can’t imagine that should take too long.

The Giants only sent Evens and Sabey-Sabes to their meeting. No Bochy. Could that be considered a snub?
I think it's pretty clear that's where Stanton wants to go..... But unless the Dodgers are offering up Alex Verdugo and Yadier Alverez, which they won't..... or offer to pay 100% of the contract, which they won't, the Dodgers will never seriously be in it.

Now, if I were the Dodgers I would *uck over the Giants and play coy with Stanton for awhile and basically put their offseason plans on hold. Which is probably going to happen.
I wondered too if the Dodgers would do something like that. And since Stanton has the full no trade clause, he can wait around to see if the Dodgers put in an offer. He doesn't have to say yes to either the Giants or Cardinals, so the Marlin aren't done yet, cal, from my perspective. They'd have to talk Stanton into going with someone else other than his first choice. The Dodgers could low ball it (i.e. offer lower tied prospects and cover 50% of the contract) and Stanton gives them the go ahead. Then the Marlins are stuck. They get better offers from another team but Stanton won't give them the green light. Do they cut their losses and just ship him to where he agrees to go or do they try to talk him into another city, in hopes that the amount of time it takes to convince him isn't too long for those teams?

In my opinion, the Dodgers are in the driver's seat until they consummate the trade or clearly state that they are not interested. MLB Rumors notes that Stanton is tired of losing and the Dodgers present the best chance for him to join a winning ballclub, further strengthening his desire to play for them. I would think the Giants would need to do a lot of convincing him that they would have a winning ballclub with him on it. Sure, they've won 3 WS recently, but their 2017 record is very Marlins-esque. That has to make him a bit leery.

Oh, and here's another article about whether Stanton makes the Giants are playoff caliber team - https://www.bigthreesports.com/giants-giancarlo-stanton/

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yanks apparently out of the Ohtani sweepstakes.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'm almost at a point where I think it's both or neither.

If the Stanton doesn't chose the Giants, neither does Ohtani, or vice versa.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for fun...

C - Posey, Hundley
1B - Belt, Posey
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - Sandoval, Arroyo
RF - Stanton, Parker
CF - Dyson, Duggar
LF - Pence, Span, Ohtani, Parker

Bum
Samardzija
Ohtani
Moore
Stratton
(Maybe put Chatwood in the mix?)

Melancon
Dyson
Smith
Gearin
Law
Osich / Okert
Blach

This is assuming Panik is not included in any trades and Cueto is dealt for a prospect package. I could see Span dumped for salary relief and Slater or Mac or KT given his roster spot. Pence doesn’t want to go anywhere, but maybe the Giants can work something with him to accept a dump to the team of his choice?

Crick has options. While he has earned a spot on the roster, I don’t see room for him. He will certainly be on the shuttle all season, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Either Mish is speculating on the time frame or the Marlins got the green light to move forward with any team they feel offers the best deal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's huge because the default among some pundits was that the Yankees were the slam dunk obvious choice for Ohtani.

This situation was going to be tough to gauge from the beginning because the dude turned down $200M to come this season.

But it seems he clearly prefers a West Coast team.

Of note, Hensley Mullens speaks Japanese.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Either Mish is speculating on the time frame or the Marlins got the green light to move forward with any team they feel offers the best deal.

Mish has been all over the coverage and I tend to believe him.

Also, it's been reported that the Marlins have accepted deals from the Giants and Cardinals. The ball is completely in Stanton's court right now.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for fun...

C - Posey, Hundley
1B - Belt, Posey
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - Sandoval, Arroyo
RF - Stanton, Parker
CF - Dyson, Duggar
LF - Pence, Span, Ohtani, Parker

Bum
Samardzija
Ohtani
Moore
Stratton
(Maybe put Chatwood in the mix?)

Melancon
Dyson
Smith
Gearin
Law
Osich / Okert
Blach

This is assuming Panik is not included in any trades and Cueto is dealt for a prospect package. I could see Span dumped for salary relief and Slater or Mac or KT given his roster spot. Pence doesn’t want to go anywhere, but maybe the Giants can work something with him to accept a dump to the team of his choice?

Crick has options. While he has earned a spot on the roster, I don’t see room for him. He will certainly be on the shuttle all season, though.

Sandoval still makes me mad

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This situation was going to be tough to gauge from the beginning because the dude turned down $200M to come this season.

But it seems he clearly prefers a West Coast team.

Of note, Hensley Mullens speaks Japanese.
Seattle has strong Asian ties, and all those kids look at Ichiro as a god. You gotta think the Ms have the STRONG inside track.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has strong Asian ties, and all those kids look at Ichiro as a god. You gotta think the Ms have the STRONG inside track.

Yeah I'd say they're the favorite based on that logic.

Getting Stanton would be a solid pitch though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if the Giants get Stanton from the Marlins, Dee Gordon won't be coming over with him - Marlins trade Dee Gordon to Mariners.

It appears the Mariners take on his full contract and got international slot money in exchange for three minor leaguers. I don't know where they rate on the Mariners' prospect list.