• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bleacher report: Stanton prefers Giants

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think you are underrating them. Shaw is the number two prospect and Beede the number three (per Baseball America). Panik is a good glove 2nd baseman that should be considered among the upper half to third among offensive 2nd basemen (per OPS).

you can debate the wisdom of Panik in a diel with Gordon (Gordon is better but not a great monetary value), but Shaw and Beede are meh compared to other 2 or 3 prosects in a typical organization.

But I heard more Ramos talk than you guys have mentioned.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can debate the wisdom of Panik in a diel with Gordon (Gordon is better but not a great monetary value), but Shaw and Beede are meh compared to other 2 or 3 prosects in a typical organization.

But I heard more Ramos talk than you guys have mentioned.
Gordon is faster but that's about it. The two get on base at about the same clip but Panik has more pop. Panik is arguably better defensively than Gordon.
The issue with prospects has to do specifically with our farm. Trading the numbers #1 and #2 or #2 and #3 prospects out of a thin farm makes things much worse. The Marlins aren't quite in the driver's seat on this trade. Stanton is. And with a no trade clause, what they can get back for him is probably less than they think that they can get. Sure, rumors are flying all over the place but smart teams should know that the asking price is coming down.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...... This is getting pretty serious.

If Giants officials and STANTON (not Miami) officials are meeting, talks must be in a pretty advanced stage.

tumblr_onhikzP9q91tpip5go1_250.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...... This is getting pretty serious.

If Giants officials and STANTON (not Miami) officials are meeting, talks must be in a pretty advanced stage.

tumblr_onhikzP9q91tpip5go1_250.gif
The home run nerd in me wants to get excited. The skeptical luxury tax threshold alarmist in me wants to get very nervous.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, just saw this . . .

Also, after reading this article (Report: Giants Meeting With Giancarlo Stanton's Reps), I have to wonder if the Marlins want to stall a trade to see if other teams join the fray in hopes that the asking price can be raised. If the Giants are willing to ship Panik, Beede and Shaw, and take both Gordon and Stanton's contracts, that seems risky of them. However, they may hope that someone with better prospects will try to outbid the Giants.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah:

Why didn’t they put in a claim when the Fish were (apparently) willing to let him walk just for the contract alone?

How is this a known fact that was ever the case? I never believed it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is this a known fact that was ever the case? I never believed it.
They put him on waivers, and nobody claimed him. Sure, it isn’t known that the Fish would have let him go, but if now they are able to trade him for (reportedly) a package that includes at least one of our top prospects and/or a “free” near-all star level 2B while we still foot the vast majority of his contract means the Giants (or someone else) should have put in a claim. It means he stilll holds positive value.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They put him on waivers, and nobody claimed him. Sure, it isn’t known that the Fish would have let him go, but if now they are able to trade him for (reportedly) a package that includes at least one of our top prospects and/or a “free” near-all star level 2B while we still foot the vast majority of his contract means the Giants (or someone else) should have put in a claim. It means he stilll holds positive value.
Giancarlo Stanton Clears Revocable Waivers

Reportedly, there was an unidentified team that offered prospects for him in July but the deal fell through. Who knows how serious the negotiations were or why they never finished the deal, but it could have been that the Marlins wanted complete salary relief and the other team balked?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giancarlo Stanton Clears Revocable Waivers

Reportedly, there was an unidentified team that offered prospects for him in July but the deal fell through. Who knows how serious the negotiations were or why they never finished the deal, but it could have been that the Marlins wanted complete salary relief and the other team balked?
We will have to wai5 to see what the final deal ends up being, but if this buying team gives up a decent package AND eats a signifigant amount of his $$, than I absolutely give up trying to understand they revocable waiver process. Why didn’t ANYONE place a claim on him?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have to wai5 to see what the final deal ends up being, but if this buying team gives up a decent package AND eats a signifigant amount of his $$, than I absolutely give up trying to understand they revocable waiver process. Why didn’t ANYONE place a claim on him?
That is a very good question. It would be a bit ironic, too, if the Giants end up being the buying team when they know best that some teams just let the player go when another team puts a claim.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read over at Fangraphs. Careful though. When the author starts talking about 2017, you might get PTSD (I'm looking at you @Stokes1931):
The Giants and the Skill Trap | FanGraphs Baseball

I hate that he brings up Cain and Moose, and just brushes the loss of draft picks (and doesn't mention loss of INTL money) under the rug.

Signing Moose and Cain end up costing potentially MORE than Stanton in the end.

That's why I want the Giants to sign Jarrod Dyson and Tony Watson though. At probably $15M-$20M combined, both those guys fill needs that this article talks about.

Also, less of Pence/Span helps with the old man syndrome that Cameron bases his analysis on.

I agree with the premise of the article. Signing Dyson, Frazier, Kendrick and Minor would be a solid offseason for me. Stanton takes away that possibility.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling we'll see news about another meeting upcoming with a larger Giants' contingent.
There are also still rumors that the dogs are waiting in the wings to swoop in and top the “winning” offer at the last second.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are also still rumors that the dogs are waiting in the wings to swoop in and top the “winning” offer at the last second.

I think it's pretty clear that's where Stanton wants to go..... But unless the Dodgers are offering up Alex Verdugo and Yadier Alverez, which they won't..... or offer to pay 100% of the contract, which they won't, the Dodgers will never seriously be in it.

Now, if I were the Dodgers I would *uck over the Giants and play coy with Stanton for awhile and basically put their offseason plans on hold. Which is probably going to happen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty clear that's where Stanton wants to go..... But unless the Dodgers are offering up Alex Verdugo and Yadier Alverez, which they won't..... or offer to pay 100% of the contract, which they won't, the Dodgers will never seriously be in it.

Now, if I were the Dodgers I would *uck over the Giants and play coy with Stanton for awhile and basically put their offseason plans on hold. Which is probably going to happen.
But that fucks over Stanton as well, and Stanton (or his team) would likely notice that pretty quick. If Stanton goes to the Giants, he would rather be on a winner, and the best chance that happens is if he settles “early” and allows the Giants to move on to Ohtani or whomever else they have in their plans.