• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bleacher report: Stanton prefers Giants

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I wouldn't say that. I'm glad the prospects are still here and that contract isn't on the board. However, he would have been awesome watching in a Giants uniform. It just seems to re-focus the Giants to pick up other options that will probably harm more than help in the long term.

Exactly. Seeing what paths were realistically available, I preferred the big gamble to the incremental meh. Since the teardown isn't happening. So I'm not happy.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they just dodged a trip to Vegas. You can't win if you don't play.

I think one bat in a lineup with no protection wrapped up with a contract that would hinder their ability to get that protection or address other weaknesses on the team was a bad play. Add in durability concerns and an eleven year tail on that contract, I think he did us a favor. Feels a little like an Angels move.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one bat in a lineup with no protection wrapped up with a contract that would hinder their ability to get that protection or address other weaknesses on the team was a bad play. Add in durability concerns and an eleven year tail on that contract, I think he did us a favor. Feels a little like an Angels move.

Sure that's one way to look at it, I wanted Otani too, and Posey isn't bad protection. So enjoy 2018 with whatever crap they throw out there.

I don't mean to be so salty I'm just underwhelmed by what's going to happen now

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure that's one way to look at it, I wanted Otani too, and Posey isn't bad protection. So enjoy 2018 with whatever crap they throw out there.

Don’t get me wrong, if they could have pulled some evil genius plan that brought him to the Giants for the next three or four seasons and then palmed him and salary off to the Dodgers when he outran his usefulness, I’d be all in. I just didn’t see that option on the board. Agree next year will be a shitshow.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t get me wrong, if they could have pulled some evil genius plan that brought him to the Giants for the next three or four seasons and then palmed him and salary off to the Dodgers when he outran his usefulness, I’d be all in. I just didn’t see that option on the board. Agree next year will be a shitshow.

It's funny that option, which seemed so distant maybe a month ago, was actually kinda feasible last night.

Stanton succumbs to the pressure and accepts trade to Giants, opts out after 3 years, signs with Dodgers. Giants get 3 prime years of Stanton, ideally not giving much up because they paid the Marlins money, end up not having to pay the money.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that's a perspective. One that a number of people had when we got Barry.

I think Stanton is a similar player. HOFer. They weren't able to surround Barry with players til 2002, but still.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's a perspective. One that a number of people had when we got Barry.

I think Stanton is a similar player. HOFer. They weren't able to surround Barry with players til 2002, but still.

Out of curiosity, what players did they "surround" Barry with in 2002 who weren't there in 2001? Shinjo? Sure, Bell was better than R. Martinez, but not exactly a superstar. Sanders and Rios were similar (although Sanders did have a bunch more PAs). The two teams were pretty much the same - no superstars signed.

Heck, I'd argue that 2000 had a better team (well, except for the pitching performances - a lot of the same guys however). Burks was on that team, and a monster with the bat. Estalella, Snow and Kent were great at the plate that year. If they hadn't tanked in the division series (I'm still pissed at how horribly Baker managed that series).

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, what players did they "surround" Barry with in 2002 who weren't there in 2001? Shinjo? Sure, Bell was better than R. Martinez, but not exactly a superstar. Sanders and Rios were similar (although Sanders did have a bunch more PAs). The two teams were pretty much the same - no superstars signed.

Heck, I'd argue that 2000 had a better team (well, except for the pitching performances - a lot of the same guys however). Burks was on that team, and a monster with the bat. Estalella, Snow and Kent were great at the plate that year. If they hadn't tanked in the division series (I'm still pissed at how horribly Baker managed that series).

Ah yes, Baker was at his turtleness best.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last point about Stanton....

It sounds like the trade the Giants and Marlins agreed to would have been really nice for the Giants.

Stanton for Denard Span and prospects outside of the top 5 for the Giants (Shaw, Beede, Ramos, Arroyo, Duggar). Giants pay ~$245M of his contract and Marlins absorb all of Span's.

Ah well.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last point about Stanton....

It sounds like the trade the Giants and Marlins agreed to would have been really nice for the Giants.

Stanton for Denard Span and prospects outside of the top 5 for the Giants (Shaw, Beede, Ramos, Arroyo, Duggar). Giants pay ~$245M of his contract and Marlins absorb all of Span's.

Ah well.
Better than what was rumored for awhile. Still would have been concerned about his impact on the payroll, considering all the hand wringing that seems to be going on in the FO to stay under the threshold. But Stanton wanted to play for one of last year's final 4, so we won't know what could have been.