• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bleacher report: Stanton prefers Giants

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey all... the hot stove is heating up. I appreciate that Stanton is from the LA area, but I'm a bit surprised that speculation suggests the Giants are a non-option. Clearly, a franchise that knows how to win, why would someone be so dismissive of that? Odd.

Also, a Giants fan on this board said something to the effect of, since we are not getting Stanton, we are not getting Ohtani. Huh? Have you seen Ohtani's list? The Padres are a frontrunner. I don't think Ohtani is watching where Stanton ends up.

As for the LA speculation, it's just that, speculation. This S.I. excerpt sums up why the Dodgers are not interested in Stanton:

That also doesn’t take into account Los Angeles’ already existing financials. For 2018 alone, the Dodgers already have $185.8 million on the books in guaranteed deals. Add in the projected $25 million they’ll be spending in arbitration, and you’re looking at a payroll of $214 million before the team does any offseason spending. There are ways the Dodgers can offload or offset some of Stanton’s cost, but it won’t be easy. They’re already reportedly looking to deal former starting catcher Yasmani Grandal, who is looking at a 2018 salary of close to $8 million via arbitration. Los Angeles could also try to unload declining veteran Adrian Gonzalez ($22.36 million next year) or the oft-injured Scott Kazmir ($17.67 million). But barring some kind-hearted front office doing the Dodgers a favor, it’s unlikely either of those two would depart without some other bad contract coming back in exchange.

Adding Stanton without a counter move would rocket the Dodgers’ payroll to close to $250 million next year. For a team that pulled in nearly half a billion dollars in revenue in 2016, that figure isn’t all that problematic on its own. But you also have to take into account Los Angeles’ mortal enemy, the luxury tax. There’s no way the Dodgers will get under 2018’s threshold of $197 million, and with every dollar over that figure taxed and with repeat offenders—which the Dodgers are, having surpassed the limit in 2016 and ‘17—penalized extra, that disincentives large expenditures like Stanton.

Giancarlo Stanton probably won't end up on the Dodgers

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see what appeal the Giants have for Ohtani without Stanton. The team, as built now, is old and coming off a 98 loss season. Why would Ohtani want to go to a rebuilding situation?

The Padres may suck, but they do have a farm system. The market is also very easy, which he has expressed an affinity for.

The Ms have a long history of being very Japanese-Player friendly. That may actually play against them in this situation, though, as he has expressed an interest in avoiding pre-blazed trails.

Who knows where he will go, but I think the Giants were a much more appealing destination with Stanton in the fold.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey all... the hot stove is heating up. I appreciate that Stanton is from the LA area, but I'm a bit surprised that speculation suggests the Giants are a non-option. Clearly, a franchise that knows how to win, why would someone be so dismissive of that? Odd.

Also, a Giants fan on this board said something to the effect of, since we are not getting Stanton, we are not getting Ohtani. Huh? Have you seen Ohtani's list? The Padres are a frontrunner. I don't think Ohtani is watching where Stanton ends up.

As for the LA speculation, it's just that, speculation. This S.I. excerpt sums up why the Dodgers are not interested in Stanton:

That also doesn’t take into account Los Angeles’ already existing financials. For 2018 alone, the Dodgers already have $185.8 million on the books in guaranteed deals. Add in the projected $25 million they’ll be spending in arbitration, and you’re looking at a payroll of $214 million before the team does any offseason spending. There are ways the Dodgers can offload or offset some of Stanton’s cost, but it won’t be easy. They’re already reportedly looking to deal former starting catcher Yasmani Grandal, who is looking at a 2018 salary of close to $8 million via arbitration. Los Angeles could also try to unload declining veteran Adrian Gonzalez ($22.36 million next year) or the oft-injured Scott Kazmir ($17.67 million). But barring some kind-hearted front office doing the Dodgers a favor, it’s unlikely either of those two would depart without some other bad contract coming back in exchange.

Adding Stanton without a counter move would rocket the Dodgers’ payroll to close to $250 million next year. For a team that pulled in nearly half a billion dollars in revenue in 2016, that figure isn’t all that problematic on its own. But you also have to take into account Los Angeles’ mortal enemy, the luxury tax. There’s no way the Dodgers will get under 2018’s threshold of $197 million, and with every dollar over that figure taxed and with repeat offenders—which the Dodgers are, having surpassed the limit in 2016 and ‘17—penalized extra, that disincentives large expenditures like Stanton.

Giancarlo Stanton probably won't end up on the Dodgers
The list of 4 teams that Stanton is reported to have given the Marlins, for purposes of waiving his no-trade clause, all have one thing in common, they made the playoffs in 2017. Actually, there are two things in common. They all have a solid young core of players that could make for winning in multiple seasons.

Stanton is on record that he is tired of losing. I would guess that his reticence with both the Giants and the Cardinals is that both had down seasons and neither have the same type of young core players. The Giants have an older core and the Cardinals are a bit in flux right now.

Stanton loves being in Florida. He has a full no-trade clause. He wants to be on a winner. If a team that looks like it may struggle wants to acquire him, why should he have to agree to the trade? I would probably do the same thing if I were in his shoes. I like where I'm at and if there are question marks about whether the team will be a contender, I would have no desire to agree to play there. Nothing is a sure thing, but teams who are young, have talent and have made the playoffs would look a lot more appealing than older teams who have struggled through a poor season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see what appeal the Giants have for Ohtani without Stanton. The team, as built now, is old and coming off a 98 loss season. Why would Ohtani want to go to a rebuilding situation?

The Padres may suck, but they do have a farm system. The market is also very easy, which he has expressed an affinity for.

The Ms have a long history of being very Japanese-Player friendly. That may actually play against them in this situation, though, as he has expressed an interest in avoiding pre-blazed trails.

Who knows where he will go, but I think the Giants were a much more appealing destination with Stanton in the fold.
I think the Padres have a real good chance of landing Ohtani. Consider what we've heard about him:
1. He isn't concerned about making money.
2. He wants to play where no other Japanese players currently play (although I've heard that supposedly that statement has been retracted)
3. He prefers a small market
4. He wants to be able to both pitch and hit with regularity.
5. Prefers to play on the west coast.

Now, consider the Padres:
1. They don't have much international slot money
2. They don't have any Japanese players on their roster and haven't had any significant ones play for them in the past.
3. They are small market
4. Their outfield has room for regular playing time and can easily fit him into their rotation.
5. On the west coast.

If Ohtani wants to be the big man in a small market team, with a good chance to play regularly, without a desire to make lots of money in his first contract, why not choose the Padres over everyone else?

Thank about the knocks against the other teams:
1. Los Angeles Dodgers - big market, has other Japanese players, hard to fit him into regular playing time
2. Anaheim Angels - big market, outfield is crowded
3. San Francisco Giants - big market
4. Seattle Mariners - medium sized market, outfield is a bit tight, has Japanese player and a Japanese legend blazed a trail there already.
5. Chicago Cubs - big market, crowded outfield, not on the west coast
6. Texas Rangers - medium sized market, has had a big name Japanese player, not on the west coast

All these things seem to point to him landing in San Diego. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle or maybe even San Francisco pick him up (I'd rank them 2nd and 3rd on his most desirable landing spots).

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked you what HR records you thought he was going to get anyway.

I’ll wait.

Only non-roid user to pass Maris for HR's in a single season, for starters.

It will also make it harder for him to reach certain HR milestones/plateaus.

I'm not sure what the hell is up your ass dude. lol. Is AT&T a terrible park for HR's or not? Jesus... This isn't rocket science lad.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Padres have a real good chance of landing Ohtani. Consider what we've heard about him:
1. He isn't concerned about making money.
2. He wants to play where no other Japanese players currently play (although I've heard that supposedly that statement has been retracted)
3. He prefers a small market
4. He wants to be able to both pitch and hit with regularity.
5. Prefers to play on the west coast.

Now, consider the Padres:
1. They don't have much international slot money
2. They don't have any Japanese players on their roster and haven't had any significant ones play for them in the past.
3. They are small market
4. Their outfield has room for regular playing time and can easily fit him into their rotation.
5. On the west coast.

If Ohtani wants to be the big man in a small market team, with a good chance to play regularly, without a desire to make lots of money in his first contract, why not choose the Padres over everyone else?

Thank about the knocks against the other teams:
1. Los Angeles Dodgers - big market, has other Japanese players, hard to fit him into regular playing time
2. Anaheim Angels - big market, outfield is crowded
3. San Francisco Giants - big market
4. Seattle Mariners - medium sized market, outfield is a bit tight, has Japanese player and a Japanese legend blazed a trail there already.
5. Chicago Cubs - big market, crowded outfield, not on the west coast
6. Texas Rangers - medium sized market, has had a big name Japanese player, not on the west coast

All these things seem to point to him landing in San Diego. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle or maybe even San Francisco pick him up (I'd rank them 2nd and 3rd on his most desirable landing spots).
And I was completely wrong. Ohtani just chose the Angels.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure what the hell is up your ass dude. lol. Is AT&T a terrible park for HR's or not? Jesus... This isn't rocket science lad.
Your statement was not “Going Tom SF will, cost him HRs”. You said it would hurt his chances at HR records. You moved the goal posts.

I agree that AT&T will cost him HRs. I never said otherwise.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your statement was not “Going Tom SF will, cost him HRs”. You said it would hurt his chances at HR records. You moved the goal posts.

A) You're taking this WAY too seriously

B) It will hurt his chances at HR records, no goal posts moved

Oh, it will cost him HR's... but that won't hurt his chances at HR records? lol, What are you doing dude? Are you just bored today or something?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if he winds up in SF, he can kiss a lot of home run records goodbye.
what “home run records” do you think he was going to threaten?

Most HRs in a season? Yeah, that could NEVER be set at AT&T.

Most HRs ina career? That also would never be set at AT&T.
I asked for clarification.
Do you... or do you not think playing at AT&T will hurt his home run total?

I'll wait.
You deflected by changing the point of your post
I asked you what HR records you thought he was going to get anyway.

I’ll wait.
I attempted to get the conversation back on track.

You finally answer the question. But still insist on points that were never made in your original post, while getting pissed at me for asking for clarification.

You are all over the place with your statement. While you are not literally going to some football stadium and digging up goalposts with the intention of moving them, in terms of discussions, you absolutely relied on ever-shifting goalposts.

Bottom line, Stanton had next to zero chance of hitting 73 in a season or 762 over the course of his career, so going to the Giants would not likely reduce his measurable odds of getting those. It is ironic, though, that both of those marks were actually set by a player who played in AT&T as his home park.

Hitting career milestones is a completely new point, and you won’t get any argument from me on that.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) You're taking this WAY too seriously

B) It will hurt his chances at HR records, no goal posts moved

Oh, it will cost him HR's... but that won't hurt his chances at HR records? lol, What are you doing dude? Are you just bored today or something?

giphy.gif

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little disappointed we'll never know the details of the trade.

My final guess was Beede, Reynolds, Adon and the Giants pay ~$250M.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And congrats to you then I guess.
Well, I wouldn't say that. I'm glad the prospects are still here and that contract isn't on the board. However, he would have been awesome watching in a Giants uniform. It just seems to re-focus the Giants to pick up other options that will probably harm more than help in the long term.