• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who has trade value?

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's inevitable, it appears, that the Giants are going to have to go into sell mode fairly soon. But who on this roster has any trade value? There must be someone, right? RIGHT??? I mean, 'value' beyond a slightly used photo of Scarlett Johansson.

After a quick run-through of the roster, I immediately discount Belt (bad year, bad contract), Pence (bad year, too fragile), and Span (general sukkitude). Probably the only position player who has any value and that we would be willing to give up is Nunez. (I assume we would NOT entertain giving up Crawford, Panik, or Saint Buster.) Of the pitchers, I assume just about anyone not named Bumgarner could be had but at this point I'm not sure that any of our starters have any real value. Though I suppose pitching in the race up to and through the playoffs is at a premium, so maybe someone would go for Cueto or Samardzija to bolster their rotation. I guess the bullpen would be where our trade strength would be, such as it is. Kontos, Strickland, Gearrin, and even Melancon would probably be available for the right price. Yes, I know we just signed him, but Melancon hasn't exactly been lights-out and a closer for a team who needs one might fetch something worthwhile.

Having gone thru this exercise...it's fairly depressing. We really don't have a lot to sell, so we can't rightly expect a bonanza of prospects, can we? Though I guess there aren't too many bad teams with LOTS of great players up for auction.

Any more optimistic appraisals of our situation?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's inevitable, it appears, that the Giants are going to have to go into sell mode fairly soon. But who on this roster has any trade value? There must be someone, right? RIGHT??? I mean, 'value' beyond a slightly used photo of Scarlett Johansson.

After a quick run-through of the roster, I immediately discount Belt (bad year, bad contract), Pence (bad year, too fragile), and Span (general sukkitude). Probably the only position player who has any value and that we would be willing to give up is Nunez. (I assume we would NOT entertain giving up Crawford, Panik, or Saint Buster.) Of the pitchers, I assume just about anyone not named Bumgarner could be had but at this point I'm not sure that any of our starters have any real value. Though I suppose pitching in the race up to and through the playoffs is at a premium, so maybe someone would go for Cueto or Samardzija to bolster their rotation. I guess the bullpen would be where our trade strength would be, such as it is. Kontos, Strickland, Gearrin, and even Melancon would probably be available for the right price. Yes, I know we just signed him, but Melancon hasn't exactly been lights-out and a closer for a team who needs one might fetch something worthwhile.

Having gone thru this exercise...it's fairly depressing. We really don't have a lot to sell, so we can't rightly expect a bonanza of prospects, can we? Though I guess there aren't too many bad teams with LOTS of great players up for auction.

Any more optimistic appraisals of our situation?

I was fairly optimistic about being able to get a top 50 prospect or two for Cueto back in early May when this came up initially. I'd feel pretty damn happy if we got a top 100 at this point.

But yeah the "State of the Team" thread is where this discussion is at right now.