• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bill Belichick Only Needed One Practice To Know Malcolm Butler Could Make It In The NFL

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Belichick Only Needed One Practice To Know Malcolm Butler Could Make It In The NFL

BOSTON (CBS) — Of the 32 head coaches in the NFLicon1.png, it’s reasonable to assume that no more than one or two might have spent any time at all breaking down film or reading scouting reports on players from the University of West Alabama. With 128 Division-I FBS college football programs, the talent pool is certainly rich enough at that level for coaches to mostly bypass consideration for players in the FCS and spare themselves completely from wading into the world of Division II.

Yet, as everyone knows at this point, finding diamonds in the rough is and always has been a point of pride for Bill Belichick. And through 13 games in his second NFL season, it’s safe to say that Malcolm Butler fits that description.

Bleacher Report’s Dan Pompei wrote a feature about Butler’s improbable rise to stardom, and it includes several fascinating nuggets about the process that led to him even making the NFL.

Coming out of the University of West Alabama, a school that had only produced a handful of NFL players in its history, Butler essentially received zero interest from NFL teams prior to the 2014 NFL draft. Yet long after the final pick was taken, and after Butler had considered options in the CFL and the Arena Football Leagueicon1.png, Butler got a call from the Patriots. It was his only offer.

He flew to Foxboro, worked out one day, hit the practice field the next day on a tryout basis, and that was that. Belichick had seen enough.

“After one practice,” Belichick told Pompei, “we said, ‘We should sign this guy.'”

Those who covered the team or followed closely during the preseason couldn’t help but notice Butler as a standout, particularly in action against Washington. Clearly, the kid was good enough to make an NFL roster. But was he good enough to make the roster of aSuper Bowlicon1.png favorite that already employed two high-priced acquisitions in Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner ahead of him on the depth chart? Even after earning the nickname “Strap” for his relentlessly tight coverage, Butler himself wasn’t sure.

From Pompei:

The day before final cuts, Belichick approached Strap.

“You have a place to stay?” Belichick said.

“No sir, I don’t,” Strap said. “I’m in the team hotel, and I don’t know if I’m going to be around.”

The coach’s response: “Oh, you are going to be around.”

It was a decision that panned out rather well. If it weren’t for the Patriots employing Butler on the goal line in the final minutes of Super Bowl XLIX, we all would’ve spent the last calendar year discussing the Belichick-era Patriots as three-time Super Bowl losers. The “legacies” of Tom Bradyicon1.png and Belichick would be tinted with a bit less light, and the ceaseless annoyance that was the “DeflateGate” saga would have been doubly or triply bothersome for New Englanders in the months that followed that game.

Instead, a banner hangs high above the Gillette Stadium field, thanks largely to the kid from West Alabama.

That same kid is now the Patriots’ No. 1 cornerback, stepping into the huge vacancy left by Revis, contributing to a top-10 Patriots defense that has at times carried the team along the way to an 11-2 record through 13 games.

It’s really a tremendous story, and is worth a full read at Bleacher Report.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least 3 HUGE plays in the Super Bowl.

The one where he made Kearse drop it down the sidelines by hooking his right elbow so he couldn't squeeze it.

The one where Kearse made the miracle catch, Butler more or less caused the miracle to occur by batting the ball, and then after Kearse had caught it and the dust was settling, he had the smarts to get up and knock Kearse out of bounds while others were stunned.

And then of course, "And it's intercepted!!"

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The one where he made Kearse drop it down the sidelines by hooking his right elbow so he couldn't squeeze it.

The one where Kearse made the miracle catch, Butler more or less caused the miracle to occur by batting the ball, and then after Kearse had caught it and the dust was settling, he had the smarts to get up and knock Kearse out of bounds while others were stunned.

Play of the game there... If he doesn't do that we don't have then "BUTLER WITH THE INTERCEPTION" because Kearse would have walked in

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the way he is maturing and becoming a true force on the D. Seems after he gets called for DPI or gets burned, next game or even in the same one he corrects his mistakes. Great playa.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the way he is maturing and becoming a true force on the D. Seems after he gets called for DPI or gets burned, next game or even in the same one he corrects his mistakes. Great playa.
revis told him in camp last year that he has "it".

no, not aids.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta give him credit, he's a darn good cornerback.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's great. What about all those guys BB has dumped after making the team? I mean Belichik has a long history of skidding guys for bad play. Why couldn't he tell they could make it in the NFL the same way he did with Butler?

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's great. What about all those guys BB has dumped after making the team? I mean Belichik has a long history of skidding guys for bad play. Why couldn't he tell they could make it in the NFL the same way he did with Butler?
It's called "doing your job, well." Butler has exceeded expectations so far. Don't confuse that with letting good players developed in BB system go in time to get job elsewhere in NFL, after having a great career with the Pats. They maintain mostly great relationships with Kraft, BB, etc. They got them rings.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called "doing your job, well." Butler has exceeded expectations so far. Don't confuse that with letting good players developed in BB system go in time to get job elsewhere in NFL, after having a great career with the Pats. They maintain mostly great relationships with Kraft, BB, etc. They got them rings.

Butler has turned out pretty good. But the point of the article makes it seem like Bellichick has some Svengali power to deduce who can make it and who can't. Butler made it, but many other Bellichick players haven't. That's all I'm saying.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler has turned out pretty good. But the point of the article makes it seem like Bellichick has some Svengali power to deduce who can make it and who can't. Butler made it, but many other Bellichick players haven't. That's all I'm saying.
Because he is focused and has the prerogative of having saved the Pats from another SB loss. Also, he makes up for errors really fast, usually within the same game.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man I was almost crying and one of sisters said: "look dude, they intercepted!" Could not believe it.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.........*click/enjoy*.........maxresdefault.jpg

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit dk, put away your BB & Brady boner for a friggin' minute will ya?

That was at the end of the 3rd with the Hawks already up by 10. If Kearse comes done with it, it's first and 10 at the 15 with a certain 3 and possibly 7. Pats would not likely have come back from being down 17 in the final quarter.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...yet he never knew what he had in Tom Brady until the deck was stacked against him. Oh well...to be lucky I guess.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was at the end of the 3rd with the Hawks already up by 10. If Kearse comes done with it, it's first and 10 at the 15 with a certain 3 and possibly 7. Pats would not likely have come back from being down 17 in the final quarter.

That is the exact play I meant. The announcers were bleating Kearse dropped it. But it was Butler and it was fucking huge.

I honestly don't think you can coach shit like that.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a thread that should be on the Patriots team board...